• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
sammyboy1022

Where to fish for walleye ?

sammyboy1022

Hey I am just getting into walleye fishing. I was looking at a dnr report at a smaller metro lake by my house that had a pretty good walleye population. It is a structurless lake dropping off from the shore to the middle which is around 30 ft deep. It has on sunken point and a creek tht connects into the lake where there is a steep drop off. Depthwise where should I fish and what should I use?

Thanks guys

fisherman-andy

I love tackling the smaller lakes for gamefish. I find it alot less of a headache than bothering with all the boat traffic on the larger lakes.

The creek first of course. Then look for sand bars, or weedlines with drop offs. Walleye jigs and Rapalas. Husky Jerks for shallow, Shad Raps for deeper areas. Evening hours into dusk & night always seems to better at least for me. Good luck and good fishing!!!

tunrevir

The point and the current areas are a good starting point. I'd cruise the area and look for fish. I'd also look to the areas that have emerging weeds as the baitfish and the predators won't be far behind. If there is panfish in the lake I'd steer clear of live bait unless you are using larger minnows because the pannies will drive you nuts if you are Lindy rigging. Jigs and minnows sounds like they might produce since there is a current area and or drop off. If you are unfamiliar with the lake I'd troll looking for active fish. Once the active fish are found then I'd refine my technique to a jig and minnow and look for other fish willing to bite. In shallower water you may do better casting cranks when refining your search as well. Dark stained water is good for the mid day search but if the water is clear then you are looking to an evening or early morning bite as a rule of thumb. The other thing that many people forget is that the cone of your depth finder in shallow water is very small and unless the fish are right underneath it they won't show up. Moral, if you aren't seeing fish that doesn't mean they aren't there it just means you haven't run right over the top of them while in the shallows. I catch alot of my early season fish in water less then 6' deep. If you think it is a fishy area fish it because the depth finder in shallow water is just that, a depthfinder Hope this helps!

Tunrevir~

sammyboy1022

Thanks for the tips guys. Andy it is nice with the smaller lakes your right. Every day I drive by it and I'll maybe see one boat out there. Even on the weekends theres rarely anyone out there, so that would be nice if I could get into some decent fish. What depth do you guys think I should try fishing first?

Bobb-o

try in the weeds, find some weeds in aboot 6-10 feet of water near the drop off or point and cast jigs and minnows, thats how i get all of my walleyes in the metro, they seem to relate more to the weeds in the metro than they do up north, i think that is due to the fact that many of them are stocked.

sammyboy1022

I also know there is a rock pile over by the point but I dont know exactly where. Is there any way I could find this point? If so, how

fisherman-andy

H'bout the DNR lake or pond maps? Do they show or help pin point it?