• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So now that we're into another year with the slot (which I will admit that I am a fan of), I'd like to hear what some of the regulars think about it so far. Since I don't fish Vermilion every week of the year, my occasional strike-out or giant walleye doesn't give me a good feel for how the lake is really doing. So without further ado...

Do the folks living on the lake feel that the slot has helped to produce: More walleye? Bigger walleye? Less? Smaller? Has it helped the Vermilion mermaid population? grin.gif (the only non-native species I'm in favor of)

Skunked,

I think the slot is good also but it may be to early for an assesment.

Skunk...Its too early to tell for sure. Its a qaulity fishiery and It will only get better!! But to start noticing reults will take a few years yet. They slot limit yr classes will mature and then well go from there. grin.gif

I don't mind it. Still too early to see major results, but I do know that the keepers I caught so far this year have averaged 1-2" over last year, and a little chunkier too... hopefully that'll continue and we get a few strong year classes in a row to make things really go great!

I haven't noticed much of a change yet with the new slot (which I am not a huge fan of-I still think it needs tweaking) This year we did catch a number of much larger fish than in previous years, with 3 or 4 fish released OVER the slot (26+ inches). In most places we fished we did catch less of the smaller fish-which I believe is due to a very poor year class of walleyes in 2004 (I think). We had TONS of fish in the 12 1/2 to 14 1/2 range, but fewer than in previous years in the 15-17 range. Fishing was well enough for everyone to get their fill of 14-15 inch fish though. Oddly, we all seemed to notice a difference in weight/thickness of some of the 13 inch fish. Depending on the fishing conditions, I typically keep fish from 13-16 inches. But some of the 13 inch fish seemed much thicker than others, even caught from the same location at the same time. Not sure if this is a m/f issue or what, but I think there was a noticable difference in some of these fish.

Well, I would have to agree that it's probably to early to tell but if you are a regular here, you have seen that we have have had extremely good fishing here since July of last year. I have caught and released more fish over 3 # in the last 10 months than I have done in the last 26 years on this lake. As most of you know that know me, I don't fish that much during the summer, but I still have seen much better fishing both in size and quantity. Slot, maybe.

Maybe not, Guess we will have to wait and see. But I'm sure not complaining and am a pure fan of the regulations. If nothing else, it should help others develop a higher respect for our resource.

I agree with Randy!

I too have caught and released many more slot size fish then normal since lact year.

I believe that this absolutely has to be a result of the slot!

Can't you imangine how many slot size fish have had to be released already instead of being eaten! shocked.gif

I am fully in favor of the current regulations at this time!

Cliff

So what does everyone think about the state-wide possession limit for walleye?

1) I should be allowed to possess/eat more than 6 walleye per day.

2) The regs are just fine as they are.

3) 6 walleye per day is too many / I can't eat'em that fast.

I personally think that 6 walleye per day is a little much, but doubt there are that many people out there taking the max on a daily basis. I don't think that reducing the possession limit to four would really make as much of a difference as the slot limit has/will. However, I don't see the harm in a reduction to four or five per day either.

As a family member of a resort owner and resort employee I get the chance to hear about and see the fish being caught each and every day. I agree it's too early to tell completely, but it's definitely headed in the right direction. Our guests are catching a lot of fish and are throwing quite a few 19"-23" fish back. They don't like doing that, but I tell them that that is a good thing for all of us. Those fish would have been kept two years ago and taken away from the following years spawn. Plus how great is it to catch some nice size walleye like that whether to keep them or not. Because isn't half the fun just reeling those fish in? That's the best part for me. Not hoarsing them, just letting the fish tug and working it in nice and slowly with light weight tackle, never really knowing how big it is until it gets to the boat. It's amazing how many 1lb walleye I thought were wall mounters that fought their little butts off and then getting the 8lb walleye that came in like it was just some weeds on your line. You never know sometimes. But all-in-all I've seen more happy fishermen and women lately than I've seen in awhile. One thing I'm asking our guests is, are they catching many small ones, 11"-13". Most of my guests are saying no they aren't catching many of those at all. So that's got me thinking a little bit, but it's still early and those little guys may not be in the same areas as the slot fish.

It used to be that I would rarely see walleyes over 20 inches, this year only getting out once I haver released 2 over twenty inches. I only see this getting better with more spawners in the lake.