• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rock-sand transition

styx

I have seen a few posts referring to fishing the rock sand transition areas. Can someone point me in the general area and how to best fish these areas. Are these on the the NE side along the reefs (agate, lakeside?) Is the entire NE corner all sand and rocks?

Thanks

If you launch out of fishers ne corner you will find sand rate out front as you go south you will come up on rocks I can give you gps # when I get home great little spot.If the wind is blowing south southeast we throw out drift sock with lindys. If wind is blowing north we will back troll toward the south not as many snags. hope this helps!! ps dont rule out bobbers smile.gif

Why not let some "sportsman" find out some information for themselves? Sharing information is one thing...too much information is unsportsman-like!

"ClearEye", I agree with you to a certain point. If "muskiedreams" posted that spot for everyone on here I'd say you have a valid argument, but as far as I can tell he's only giving it to "styx". What's wrong with sharing a spot with one or two people? Maybe the'll become good friends? I would think you've shared a spot or two in your life time? If you haven't, I don't want to be rude but you probably don't have any friends.

Don't get me wrong I do agree with your statment just not in this situation. Posting the walleye are really biting on this small lake over in "blank" county, come catch em all. That would be unsportsman like, but in my opinion "muskiedreams" is doing nothing wrong here.

I am not looking for specific spots as you can see by original post. I am looking for a general area and how to work the area effectively. I am assuming it is along the NE end of the lake but I am not certain. I posted a similar question about the "deep gravel" a bit back and I am trying to look for the same general information. I am not out to look for anyone's favorite spots.

I'd say if he's willing to share it with you, go for it. Just treat it with respect by not sharing it with others without his permission smile.gif

easy clear eye! first off this spot is no secret. at any given time there is a 100 boats out there. I would rather give a guy some #s rather than see him spend 20 dollars in gas looking for it.

i have been fishing this lake for years and i had the same ?and had to ask people to find out where and best way to fish it . but this is the stuff that makes me mad about the people on the site ML is a 37,000 acer lake and all kinds of places to fish if you have a problem helping someone out with where and hows then you are just a *** i think this site was made to help others out.so please stop crying and start helping others out bobber down guys

I am with you Raven. There are to many people that are on this site that are completely against helping people out. I imagine this site was started so fellow anglers could give tips and help people catch more fish. I am sure that Clear eyes has never asked anyone for help when he started fishing a new lake. If you are against helping people get on more fish you should just get off the site or stop (Contact Us Please).

There is nothing wrong with asking for information on tactics...like the original post. I agree, giving a hot spot to someone is a personal choice. But does no one on this site or others agree that some of this goes too far? Posting a fishing report is great...I enjoy reading them, seeing pictures...but why do some people have to give such specific information out with there reports. Why not say I was out on the mud...why say I was on the s.w. tip of the Jug? There are all kinds of places to fish on mille lacs...all public...I just don't understand how this helps any sportsman on ML or any lake. Giving a report with exact location and techniques will have that spot covered. You can say that everyone knows about this spot or that spot...but when someone reads such a specific post on where they are biting...they will go there. Where as if they didn't read such a specific report, they might have just went fishing.

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with asking for information on tactics...like the original post. I agree, giving a hot spot to someone is a personal choice. But does no one on this site or others agree that some of this goes too far? Posting a fishing report is great...I enjoy reading them, seeing pictures...but why do some people have to give such specific information out with there reports. Why not say I was out on the mud...why say I was on the s.w. tip of the Jug? There are all kinds of places to fish on mille lacs...all public...I just don't understand how this helps any sportsman on ML or any lake. Giving a report with exact location and techniques will have that spot covered. You can say that everyone knows about this spot or that spot...but when someone reads such a specific post on where they are biting...they will go there. Where as if they didn't read such a specific report, they might have just went fishing.

ClearEye,

For many of us fishing is recreation not a professional activity. If someone wants to provide spots to specific individuals so be it, they still have to have the means to get there. How about all the guides pulling people around in their boats all the time showing all these people these spots. Dare I ask if you believe this is sportsmanlike? If you think so I think you are a hypocrite.

I have formed some great friendships with people on messageboards such as this. It is kind of funny, the one started out where I was "giving too much information" and someone took offense to it and said email me. So I did. At first I thought the guy was just full of BS, but in reality he was just trying to keep a secret. We still laugh about it.

I would shy away from the sportsmanlike comments because where do you draw the line? GPS? Depthfinders? Under water Cameras? Dynamite? Walleye Whiffer, now 1 foot contour maps for GPS? I mean, some people would argue that these are not sportsmanlike, but I like to believe part of being a sporstman is sharing and conducting yourself in an ethical and responsible manner. If someone wants to give out GPS coordinates to a specific spot to a specific person I have no problem with that. They still have to catch them

Not that any one did anything wrong here, I totally agree with cleareye and his second post.If you want to give up spots via e-mail go for it just not on a public forum.

Oh yeah! Cleareye does have at least one friend. grin.gif

Captain,

Why did you quote what you quoted and post what you posted are the two supposed to be related? confused.gif

captain,

I agree with you...message boards ARE a great tool for all to share information on tackle/techniques that make us all better fisherman/woman. And meet new people and make friendships.

I agree...you still have to have a boat and catch the fish...but when someone posts on a public forum such as this so specific of details...is it really fishing? I am talking about getting off the lake and posting a report. Today I went to this exact spot...used this exact set up and caught x number of fish. Is that what fishing is all about? Now this original reply didn't say any of these things...but there are posts out there that do. My only point in all this is, do we as fisherman need to be so specific in sharing our stories?

I did not mean to ruffle any feathers...and this was not intended for just one person or another. This forum is a place to share information and opinions...this is just my opinion.

ClearEye, you worded that much better. Now I agree with you totally. Good post

So clear eye I guess that it is safe to say that you have never gotten advice from another fisherman on a specific spot on a lake and the method to catch them at that spot. I guess if you have and you fished the way that they told you to you are being a complete hypocrite. You also shouldnt call yourself a fisherman according to your thinking.

Quote:

ML is a 37,000 acer lake and all kinds of places to fish

Raven- Correction it is 133,000 acres!!

My take is, there is plenty of room and fish for everyone. If you ever talk to the Pro's and best local guides they try to fish the area's without other boats around anyways to have the best fishing and least pressure. And these "area's" change often anyways so the best GPS coordinates might not produce fish at different times.

Stop'em

Why dont you read the posts all the way through before you blast the guy and the point he's trying to make. laugh.gif

Hwalleye why dont you read my post and get the point. The point is help people out if they are looking to catch some fish and have a good time. People like you and clear eyes dont own the lakes and dont have them to police it like you do. If you are to stuck up to give people help than dont but dont bash others for helping. I love fishing and I am willing to help out anyone who also wants to experience fishing the way that I have. Some people dont always have a ton of time to research a lake before they fish it so why not help them out so they can have a good time. Do you get the point?

Gents,

All I know is that after leaving MN for military service I was amazed at how much I forgot with regards to fishing, hunting and trying to out drink good friends! This board synched me up real quick like. It's kinda like a chef that tells you how to cook a meal and then trying it yourself and totally hosing it up. At least for me the pearls provided by this site still require a lot of effort and application before it pans out by filling up the frying pan so to speak. Thats why I'm a appreciative student of the game. Minnesota fishing is the best!

I also want to help other fisherman. How's this-Early season fish the north sand, windy and evening fish bobbers on the rocks and when it gets warmer, fish the mud. The rest of the puzzle you most find.

Quote:

So clear eye I guess that it is safe to say that you have never gotten advice from another fisherman on a specific spot on a lake and the method to catch them at that spot. I guess if you have and you fished the way that they told you to you are being a complete hypocrite. You also shouldnt call yourself a fisherman according to your thinking.

I am in no way saying sharing information on depths'...rigs used is wrong. Every fisherman in their time ran into someone at the ramp or bait store that told them a hot tip. There IS a difference between this and such specific details on the internet. Just read through some of the past fishing reports. You will see the difference. Some people give great reports/pics of type of structure they fished...depth...even what they used (spinners/cranks/rigs) and some give exact names of spots or coordinates. I agree...fish move and one spot one day might be good and not the next, but my opinion is why give a hot bite spot out on a public forum for 100's to read. For dozens to go to that exact spot the next day. If this was done on a small lake, you could see effects on the lake. This post was not an attack on you...everyone has their opinion...you have your's (it is clearly stated in your posts) and I have mine.

Quote:

Captain,

Why did you quote what you quoted and post what you posted are the two supposed to be related?
confused.gif

Why do you put your pants on one leg at a time?

Quote:

Quote:

Captain,

Why did you quote what you quoted and post what you posted are the two supposed to be related?
confused.gif

Why do you put your pants on one leg at a time?

Just what i thought. shocked.gif

Ok, IMO, using your sonar would be the easiest way to find the transition line. Move back and fourth across the general area watching the differt bottom compositions. Boulders and rocks will give you a double and maybe triple echo and the bottom line will be very bright and possible bumpy(not smooth). Once you hit the sand, you'll get less of a double echo and the bottom line will become a little less thick and bright. I hope this helps with you ORIGINAL question.

What about the rock to sand transition? Is that not the original intent of the post here? I have found that the east side of the lake has a number of these types of areas all the way from Isle to malmo. It appears to me that the rock to sand switch most often takes place between 17-20 feet. Find the edges between 17-19 feet and you should be darn close to the transition. Fish can be anywhere along that area and especially if the wind is in your favor.

He asked how to find or identify the rock sand transition and then someone offered him GPS numbers. That's all fine but what I got upset with is that noone answered his original question. Not trying to be negative or offend anyone.