• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody been out on Big Lake yet this year? Going up this weekend and was wondering how the public launch was. the water level has been down quite a bit the last few years. I might need a ladder in my boat to get on my crib dock. smile.gif

I'll post a report next week when I get back.

We got alot of rain last night, so you may need to pole vault into it smile.gif

Great Outdoors,

Good to hear that you are getting some rain up there. What is the latest as far as the burning ban? Last I heard you could not even use a charcoal grill. Is that still the case? I won't be coming up till Saturday morning so for now let it rain.

Thanks,

Mike

It rained a little more today, and supposed to continue throughout the evening. I haven't heard anything about the fire ban yet. I'll call the Forest Service in the morning and let you know what's happening.

Post up how you do up there, we're heading up in 3 weeks. Can't wait!!!

Good luck!!

So here is my report from memorial weekend. Left St. Paul Saturday morning hoping the rain would hold off and it did for 5 hours till we got to the public launch at Big Lake. Meet three guys who were just coming off the lake and had gotten some small walleyes (12 to 13 inches) and one that was 26". It started to rain while we were loading the boat up and continued to rain on our trip across the lake. When we got across to our property and finished unloading the boat it rained again. Saturday evening it stopped raining briefly so I quick went into action and got the weber grill going and just put the chicken on when the thunder started to rumble and the lighting began to flash. In between down pours while getting soaked I managed to cook up some mighty fine BBQ'd chicken along with wild rice and asparagus which made for some good eating. Later at dusk I went and cast off the dock for about a half hour with no luck. I told myself I would go out early Sunday morning and slay those pesky walleyes. Sunday morning came and it was cold, raining and when I stuck my head out of my sleeping bag and saw my breath I just went back to snuggling up to my wife though I could barley feel her through her three layers of clothing. A couple of hours later and a breakfast of hot pancakes (my son held them close to his face as he ate them so the steam coming off of them warmed his face) got me ready for the day. Off to hit the lake and slay the walleyes you’re thinking, wrong, I grabbed the chainsaw and had to take care of a couple of downed trees that where blocking the all important path to the outhouse. In between the rain showers I was able to clear the path to the outhouse and clean up some other downed logs and brush. Tried, cold and hungry we had a nice supper of grilled beef tenderloin and a side of cut up potatoes, onions, red, yellow and green peppers, seasoned with garlic, pepper, salt and a little olive oil cooked in a tin foil pouch. That sure hit the spot. After dinner I started a fire for my wife and son to enjoy and finally headed out to fish. I wish I could tell you that I caught one walleye after another but that was not the case. I trolled off of the point and around the bays near our property in 10 to 15 FOW only to catch one 14” eye. I thought of switching it up and trying to jig for them but I was too content. It was enough just to enjoy the sunset and not be rained upon. Of course Monday morning came and we woke up to warmer and sunnier weather. It looked like a perfect day to fish or in our case pack up and head home. Oh well, it was good to get away even though we didn’t have the nicest weather. Sorry I couldn’t give you guys a better fishing report. There are walleyes in the lake and you don’t have to worry about me catching them all. smile.gif

If you don't mind me asking, where abouts is your property? We've been going up there for the last 3-4 years so I'm not an expert, but am getting pretty familar with the lake itself.

It is on the south side of the lake on what they call cabin point. I did take the family out for a quick spin in the boat before supper on Sunday and saw three boats back in the south east section of the lake. I don't know if they were catching anything but that was the calmest part of the lake so maybe they were just getting out of the wind. I have had some good luck fishing back there before. Just curious where do you stay when you go? Good Luck. Let me know how you do.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Rain, snow, even high winds and cold temps on Burntside.

chaffmj will get the meal cooked. That grilled pork tenderloin you cooked up was to die for.

chaff, that's a great story. Man, have I been-there-done-that! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Chaff- we've stayed at both Whispering Pines and also Big Lake Wilderness, but have kind of settled into Whispering Pines. They screened in some porches that make things really nice. Since this doubles as a fishing/family trip, we can put the kids in bed and then sit out on the porch and not get eaten up by skeeters while playing cards and running the blender! grin.gif I'll let you know how we do! All I know now is that we're 2 weeks away from going and time is suddenly standing still! It can't get here fast enough!!

DWestphal,

I like the Whispering Pines and have stayed there many times over the years. My wife and I had our honey moon there back in 83. Dan has always been real nice to me and my family. He was the realtor who had listed our property. We were staying there one October and my wife went into the lodge for something and the next thing I know we are heading across the lake to look at this property and we ended up buying it. Best thing we ever did.

St and Catfish,

Thanks for the kind words. I am looking forward to some more B-Side laker action. If I have time I would like to get out there for some soft water fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Chaff- we got back from Big last Saturday and had a pretty good trip. It's not so much a big fishing trip since we've got the kids (all under 6), but we do get out. Fishing was pretty good as well as it was for most people at the lodge. I don't think anyone was really hammering the walleyes, but we were catching enough fish to keep things interesting. We ended up with the majority of fish being around that 15-16" length with a couple between 19-20". Slip bobbers w/crawlers seemed to be a bait of choice although we seemed to pick up the bigger fish on Shad Raps. Another guy at the lodge boated 2 24"s and a 27" (all caught and released) with a Rapala as well. We never made it down to the south end of the lake as we fished mainly the north end. Also went down the echo to Meander with the kids to fish for smallies off the dock and a lot of fun catching some of them. Nothing big, but the kids sure enjoy the action!

DWest,

I love Meander lake. My dad took me there when I was a kid. We would sleep there and then get up the next day and walk into Ramshead lake and fish for big northerns. Anyways thanks for the report. I am going up there this weekend and then again around the 4th. I'll post a report when I get back.