• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Before the Walleye Crash

Before the walleye crash was Red known more for it's trophy size walleyes or was it more of a numbers lake like it is now. I understand that the majority of the current walleyes are the same size due to when they were restocked but since I didn't get to fish Red before the walleye crash I was just curious. I see how large the northerns get currently and was wondering if the walleyes were the same.

Numbers...

It was rare to catch a fish over 24". The population was saustained with mostky one time spawners.

Good Luck!

Ken

Three pound walleyes where talked about for days and 25 pound pike where a dime a dozen.

Back in the 60's when I was a kid and went fishing with my dad and his friends it was mostly small 14" fish that we caught. I don't remember catching anything over 20". I moved away from the North Country in the early 70's and didn't fish Red again until late 90's when the crappie bonanza became publicized so I don't know what the trend was then but Kelly and Jon would know.

Jonny P, any idea why Red doesn't kick out alot of bigger fish? Lack of high fat forage? Haven't heard of many tulibee or whitefish? Lack of deep structure? Fish can't forage in confined area's and need to roam and expend more energy looking for food?

Jon's out fishing for the day so I'll answer as I understand it. Before the crash a year when we were getting 18 inch walleyes was considered a great year. Very, very seldom did we see a walleye bigger then that. We were told that that was as big as Red Lake walleyes got due to genetics?????? Most years it was 14 to 16 inches. Now after a few years without nets we are seeing bigger fish. Change in genetics??? grin.gif

Most of the whitefish died out during a hot spell a few years ago.

There is plenty of deep areas on the Res. side of the lakes.

My feeling is that the longer we go without gillnets in the lake the more big fish we'll see, all types of fish.

What is the depth on the res side? I have wondered that for awhile, cant find any lake maps of the res side. Is there any ?

I've been told by those in the 'know' that it gets down to 30-35' in spots. I couldn't tell you if the lower lake has ever been mapped.

Good Luck!

Ken

I talked with a guy who was able to fish Lower Red and he said it was unbelievable compared to Upper as far as structure goes. He was a participant in a Tribal type of tournament and he hooked into some really nice fish. The tournament was a fundraiser for some tribal cause, and the fish were kept for a fish fry to feed the locals. He caught some gigantic pike as well as many nice eyes.

If I ever get an opportunity to fish it, I will jump at it.

CA

Can I venture to guess and say it might be like mille lacs? Flats, rocks, and everything inbetween?

Don't you have to be from the tribe to fish the lower lake? Or can anyone fish it if they're with a tribal member? Man, if that was the case they could make a KILLING guiding on lower!

I think you need a special permit from the tribe, and be accompanied by a member. I have brought the guiding thing up earlier, but was informed that there is more then enough fish on our side, and they are right! But I would love to try it some time.

Nobody other than a memeber of the band can fish the Lower lake... accompanied or not.

I met a teacher from Red Lake a few years back at Rogers who was fishing on our part of Upper Red. I asked why? and he told me that while he taught in Red Lake and was married to a Red Laker, he was a member of another band and was not permitted to fish on their portion of the lake. He only went out on the lake fishing when they had a field trip for the students.

You can buy a license (their version of a non-resident license) to fish the other lakes within the reservation if you are interested... but it does not apply to Lower Red.

Good Luck!

Ken

What are they hiding over there? If only we protected our nations borders like the red lake reserevation does lower red, and west upper we wouldnt have so many ilegals over here.

Quote:

The RL band is motivated. The US gov't is not.

You hit that one on the head.

Actually, the U.S. gov't is motivated too, but in the opposite direction. There are certain influential people who are making a lot of money by allowing the illegals to come in. That's why they have allowed it to continue for years. Google "How Eisenhower solved illegal border crossings from Mexico" and you will gain a better understanding of why the situation has gotten so carried away today. Not really the place for this discussion - but, as long as the subject was brought up....