• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
CALVINIST

problem replacing lower unit oil....

Question

CALVINIST

I have an old Merc Kiekafer motor. I drained the oil, but when it came to putting new stuff in, it does not go in. I know it's supposed to come out the top hole, but when I try to put in the new oil, there seems to be a vacuum. I can get some in but obviously not all that's needed. I use one of those pumps you screw onto the quart bottle. I have also tried to manually force things too, but to no avail.

Any clue an what is happening and the cure?

Thanks in advance,

Casey

8 answers to this question

vitalshot5

Did you open the vent on the lower unit?

Valv

There are 2 screws on motor.

Top is vent/max-level, bottom is fill/drain.

You have to open both holes taking scrws out and pump from bottom hole until it gets out from top. Then, close top plug, remove pump hose and close bottom. You'll loose a little but not much.

CALVINIST

I did take both screws off, but it seems I can only get so much oil in there. Never does come out the top hole confused.gif

FishinMaverick

i had an older merc that had a 3rd screw almost like a regular phillips head, loosen this and the oil should go right in!

Valv

Quote:

I did take both screws off, but it seems I can only get so much oil in there. Never does come out the top hole
confused.gif

Did you open the one on bottom of lower unit ? It looks it's almost underneath.

CALVINIST

Yes I did Valv...

boatfixer

Cal, How old and what model is this one? It's possible that the top plug you are removing is a "flush" for the water pump.

CALVINIST

Quote:

i had an older merc that had a 3rd screw almost like a regular phillips head, loosen this and the oil should go right in!

Bingo! Did just as you said, and it went right in. I was totally fooled, because I thought for sure the oil would come out the hole with the screw the size of a dime. Just below that was a tiny screw head I never would have guessed to be the vent plug. The other one must have been the one for flushing the water pump as boatfixer said. Thanks guys for your input. This forum rocks!