• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How's the walleye bite on the MN side?

Hey to all that post, how is the walleye bites been lately. I am a week away from my first trip to Rainy Lake and really havent heard a whole lot about the walleye fishing. On the hot spots map of rainy lake south where can i locate Island View Lodge? Whats a near by Island, bay or some kind of mark so i can put a fingure on where this resprt is compared to locations on the lake. I would like to know so i can kind of figure how far i am away from some spots you all talk about in your posts. So PLEASE reply with some helpful tips, as i would like to have a good idea what the heck to do on the lake. All posts are appreciated and i am greatful for all information that follows. I will also be bringing up my lap top to give an update to how fishing is when i am up there may 26th - june 2nd. THANK YOU!!

Matt

Justlove2fish,

Welcome to the Rainy Lake forum. Island View is located just a little south and west of little american island back in the bay. For fishing, if you plan on fishing the west end look to the wind blown shorelines of points and islands to be your best bet for walleyes. Lindy and a leech or a jig and minnow are the better combonations right now. Look to find fish in the 12-18 foot range in the early morning and evening and in deeper water 20-30 during the day.

On the east end Saginaw Bay and Kettle River are producing quite a few fish as well.

Advice: If you have a good set of electronics run the graph over the breaks. Start shallow and go deep or vice versa. When you find fish either make a mental note, mark on gps, or with a marker bouy. Spend a little bit of time fishing these spots with a variety of different lures and techniques. When that doens't produce...move. Keep hopping from wind blown break to wind blown break. There will be on that will be the fish producer for you.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!!

i will have a 60 horse motor on the boat, how long from island view is it to Saginaw or Kettle River? Also is fishing the mouth of the rainy river a good idea for a half day idea? Also i saw someone from Woody's Guide on In-Fisherman this morning. Watching them catch walleyes all day makes me cant wait to get up there and start catching some for myself. So how is everyone else catching walleyes up there?

to bill.. could you please define what or describe what exactly is a brake area in the lake??? you write,fish the brakes, what is that, in rainy lake area??

So whats the status up there. I havent really heard much lately on the bite up there. I am heading up sat so i am looking for all imformation that can be givin.

HI,

HOWS THE BITE...5 GUYS IN THE BOAT LAST NIGHT, AROUND 35 WALLEYES IN 2 HOURS, 22 TO 35 FEET, ANCHORED, JIG & MINNOW, WALLEYES WERE 8" TO 20", MOST WERE 15"///WE HAD 5 GOOD STICKS IN THE BOAT & HAD A BLAST. DID I SAY HOW MUCH I LIKE LIVING HERE LATELY???

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Bugs...Love the handle! A break is defined as any area that has a trasition in bottom elements. This could be a change from rock to sand, or simply a change in depth. In this case I was refering to a change in depth. When you are looking for a "breakline" you want to think about what is there that will hold fish. Often times sharp breaks are not good. Areas such as birch point, enos island, and north franzen island present good breaks to fish.

Hope this helps.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!!

i am still kinda wondering how long it will take for a 60hp boat to make it to saginaw or kettle river? I am coming up sat morning any last tips from the locals? I could really use the help and all is greatly appreciated.

There are variables like your travel speed and wind. With light or no wind at 40 mph probably 30-40 minutes to Saginaw and an hour + to Kettle Falls from Island View. If this is your first time up here the scenery might slow you down! If there's 25 mph east wind you might consider other options or plan on a wet, slow & rough ride.

Just thought I'd chime in before your trip JLF. As some of the others have referred to in there posts study your electronics. The guy with a good graph and a handfull of jigs can fill the livewell in most instances. In the past few days I've talked to several visitors who have had a tought time catching fish. This can be an intimidating lake, and there is an abundance of nice structure. Don't spend anytime on structure that you aren't marking fish on. Yesterday evening I had 4 guys in my boat and we caught about 20 walleyes despite the brutal wind/rain. None of the fish will be in the running for a new state record though I did land a nice Pout. Before I picked them up I spent a couple hours searching with my graph, and located a couple other locations that are holding fish that we'll likely be fishing today. I've always said the one thing that good fisherman seem to have in common is that they fish areas with fish. When your fortunate enough to be on feeding fish most fisherman will catch them. Great fishing with you FM! Lets get out again soon! Preferably when the wind picks up a little! Also note JLF that if you'd prefer to save a few bucks on gas you won't need to head all the way to Saginaw for some good walleye fishing especially if the winds keep up.

Hey Guys,

The walleye bite was really hot today with my group catching 45 walleyes from 9-4p.m. Fished 3 spots all very productive. Biggest fish went 24 inches from a guy whom has never caught a walleye! Glad to take you boys out! Have a great time on the rest of your vacation!

Saturday was the first day I was getting consistent reports of shallow post-spawn walleyes but the boats that are fishing 20-30' were getting more eaters. 20-50 fish in the slot per boat fishing shallow was common Saturday through yesterday.

well here is my mid week update. It has been a fun week so far whether its been fishing on the main lake or hitting up the local trout pond for a few hours over lunch, all has made it a trip to remember soo far. I have been catching eyes in about 30ft of water at a spot that i ran into fishmeister at. (thank you for your email by the way) I have catch a few eyes off of humps just off of points a mile or so off of island view. So far the slot has kept me from keeping any eyes as all mine were over 20 inches but not bigger then 25". I have been catching pike off of shore lines around island view as well my biggest being 29". I have to say to all looking to travel to International Falls that i would look into Island View Lodge for your stay. They have treated us soooo well. I must also ask everyone to say a prayer for the resort owner as she lost her daughter last friday to suicied. Please pray for the family! Other then that this place has been all i hoped for and more. Now back to the fishing. I am looking to catch a few crappies..... any places i should look at? Also just talking with a few people at the lodge here and people are reporting some eyes caught down in Signaw (sorry if i spelt the wrong) Bay also some being caught in black bay as well. I hope this helps all who are making their way up here, I am having the time of my life. I guess its always nice to get away from work for a week and do some fishing. Fishmeister see you on the lake once it is done raining.

Matt

Hey Matt. Look to the rock piles on the north end of Black Bay. Specifically the rocks with weeds on them for crappies. I think they may have spawned so try out a little deeper too(4-6'). Also try right off Birch Point in 25'...they are staging for spawn here so they may be scattered.

Fishmeister should have some great info on the walleye fishing as well.

Take Care!!

hey just a heads up i have heard that eyes are biting in 35ft of water on parrot color gumball jigs with minnows. Look for eyes off of islands in about 35ft of water jiggin. Also i have heard a few reports of some good size eyes being caught in black bay.