• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hastings...looking for Carp & Cat's...

Hello all. So I want to hook into some carp or some cat's from the river. Just for the fun of catching a big fish. But, I am not really sure how to fish for carp or cat's. I know I need a heavier rod, and stronger line. Which I have. But how about bait, lures? I have heard of the use of whole kernel corn and a big hook with a bell sinker about 12" up the line.

Can someone give some advice on where on the river in Hastings, and what to use to get the big carps and cat's? Or even the Vermilion river. How about South of the 494 bridge? Swing bridge? I just really want to fish the river for some bigger fish, but don't have a clue on where or how to do it.

Oh yeah, and I don't have a boat. So it needs to be from shore..

Thank you all for any advice you can give..

I would cook the corn a little bit before you use it, it'll stay on the hook better then. Add sugar while it's cooking, carp have a sweet tooth. Oatmeal works really good for bait too. Just grab a handful and clench a tight fist and hold it in the water for about 10 seconds, gob it on the hook...it's amazing how well it stays on the hook. As far as cats go, cut bait or crawlers. I'd stay on the border so you can use 2 rods and experiment with what the fish want.