• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Back on the river!!

Walli1

Well got the lake fishing over till fall, now its time to get back down to the croix for some serious walleye action! I'll be on the river by 4am like clock work, sure enjoy that peaceful early morning stuff, pretty soon the pleasure boats are going to rocking the fishing boats, I avoid the big boats cause I'm usually off the river by 9 or so and I rarely fish evenings, I'm picking up a friend at 6am at the bluffs park, should be a great time!! cool.gif

So how is the bite on the Croix these days? People must be catching some fish because it sure is quiet on the board. I will be back in the States in two days and hopefully fishing one or two nights this next week before heading out for the cabin. Any bait or presentation performing well? Good luck, be safe!

Tunrevir cool.gif

took out my buddy for his first river fishing by oscelas area.. water was so low almost stuck on sand bar few couples of time... buddy caught nice smallie had good fighting with light rod.. caught nice fat 17 inches sauger on raps and something bizzare happened to us.. we was fishing by the rocks and as shallow water approach fast. my buddy was yelling buck buck! as we looked in water there was carcass of 6 pt buck in water.. so we decide to cut the head off from the body but man, smells was so stench n stink so we threw it back on shore....it was nice day and windy! have picture of sauger and buck head but dont know how to post... enjoy ur wknd!!!

turnevir, the river r awaiting for you! smile.gif

Six more hours and I'll be leaving to the croix should be a wonderful morning, can't wait to see the sunrise, cool.gif maybe I'll bring my camera, see you on the water!! smile.gif

Well i went out on the Croix yesterday morning and stayed tell the afternoon. We were one of the lucky boats to hook into a few eyes, but for the most part conditions were rough with the wind blowing. I think i saw a total of 4 eyes pulled out of the water, except for our boat which hooked into 5. frown.gif

I hope to get back out there soon because i know they are going to pick up here with the temp only going to rise.

Hope everyone else starts to get em, because we have struggled a little bit.

I got my limit of eyes on thurs night by the 94 bridge. Vertical jigging 25-30 FOW.

Quote:

I got my limit of eyes on thurs night by the 94 bridge. Vertical jigging 25-30 FOW.

By the snag pile (western part under the bridge)???

With so much stuff going on at work, I think I'm gonna have to put in some night fishing to put some fish on the table. I've only been on the Croix 1 time this year... frown.gif

Too much work and family stuff going on....

When I do get out, I need to maximize those days.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to beg you take me out at 4 AM one of these days when you need someone to back the boat up and park the truck & trailor. I'm pretty good at that!grin.gif I can check Blue Ribbon, too if they have any creek chubs. wink.gif

We could possibly make it happen one of these weekends, let me know if it will be a saturday morning or a sunday morning this coming weekend I got someone with me but I could reserve a seat sometime!

I'm busy prepping and planning my folk's 35th Anniversary party this weekend, but next weekend looks free!!!! Finally!!! grin.gif

Maybe pencil me in for Saturday June 2nd. wink.gif

Quote:

With so much stuff going on at work, I think I'm gonna have to put in some night fishing to put some fish on the table. I've only been on the Croix 1 time this year...
frown.gif

Yup by the snag pile. Saw some baitfish on my electronics so dropped anchor. Hammered out a few on first few casts. Stayed there the rest of the night.

Cool... I'm gonna try and hit that tonight, so hopefully it doesn't rain. I've been waiting for the right time to use my LED headlight thingy I got for Christmas. wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

With so much stuff going on at work, I think I'm gonna have to put in some night fishing to put some fish on the table. I've only been on the Croix 1 time this year...
frown.gif

Yup by the snag pile. Saw some baitfish on my electronics so dropped anchor. Hammered out a few on first few casts. Stayed there the rest of the night.

Jeez guys.... why don't you just post the actual GPS coordinates???? not too smart....

What's not smart about it? We're trying to help each other boat some fish. Well, atleast I'm trying to ask for help. I'm still 0 for 2 on the Croix this year. frown.gif

I made it out tonight as the rain stopped and found plenty of bait clouds on the Eastern side under the 94 bridge, but there were no eyes to be found... confused.gif All I caught tonight was a sucker, a sheepie, and a plastic cup. crazy.gif

Quote:

What's not smart about it? We're trying to help each other boat some fish.

I have no problem with fellow fishermen helping each other out... Heck, I still strike out more times than I hit when I fish the Croix and I need all the help I can get. The problem lies with the number of lurkers etc that read these boards. Post a spot and pretty soon that spot is ruined - too many guys trying it and it gets pressured. Unfortunately, this site does not offer private messaging like some do - with either that or by email, you can share your knowledge with people you trust, not generally blab about it to anyone surfing the net. I use a different site a lot and have gotten some great tips and built some great friendships via their private messaging feature. Someone ought to talk to the webmaster of this site and see if he could get that feature turned on. In the meantime, it has been my experience that if you openly post spots on this site or others, other guys will NOT want to share information with you for fear that it will be broadcast and a spot they worked hard to find will be ruined too. So my advice, keep the tips to a minimum (general area, depths, bait presentations) when making a general post and if you want to share specifics, you can email the details to me!

I am one of those "lurkers" and I GREATLY appreciate all the info and advice everyone puts up here! Along with plenty of other people I come to the site to find out where and when the fish are biting so that the limited opprotunities i have to get out there are more enjoyable. After all isnt that what these sites are for. Eveyone has more fun when they are catching fish, and there are plenty of fish out there to be caught.

Like I said in the previous post, pointers as to whether the bite is 'on' or 'off', what techniques are putting fish on the hook, general info as to depths, features, etc. is all great. My advice is that posting details regarding specific spots can lead to trouble. One: that spot may see more traffic than it can support and Two: other fishermen may be less willing to share specifics with the poster.

You know what's funny??? Sometimes I think I can spot the snag pile on sonar and other times I cannot.confused.gif I am probably by the wrong pillar... tongue.gif

"Post a spot and pretty soon that spot is ruined - too many guys trying it and it gets pressured."

That is one of the most fished spots in the entire river. Guys troll that spot all day long. So by posting it here, its not going to hurt it. If you dont know about that spot, you should be trying a new river. I never fished the river and knew all about it.

And ill post where i fish to anyone any time, its a river not a lake which means the fish could be there one hour and be 5 miles up or down river the next.

I think that most fisherfolks always have a personal favorite spot(s), whether they'd be secrets or not. I'm a shore fishing guy and where I go, it's no secret, Interstate Park. I fish from a park, from a dock, on public property, you'll see me fishing. Sometimes I catch fish, sometimes I catch rocks, logs, a surprise, or what not. To the extent of my fishing skills, it's luck. Well having good equipment, lures, and timing contributes to it all too. I mainly enjoy being out there, relaxed, having some adventure here and there. As long as I don't have somebody casting across my line, snagging it, and interupting my fishing, I'm cool with it. That and those people cliff jumping while I'm trying to fish,...,Don't get caught with hooks in your hide...LOL's, if you drown I'll only cast my fishing line to reel you in. Most of all I guess I can respect a person's "secret" fishing spot.

Quote:

That is one of the most fished spots in the entire river. Guys troll that spot all day long. So by posting it here, its not going to hurt it.

So let's see if the boat traffic in that spot increases...

Quote:

If you dont know about that spot, you should be trying a new river. I never fished the river and knew all about it.

It's a well known, community spot... that's why I don't usually fish there...

Quote:

And ill post where i fish to anyone any time, its a river not a lake which means the fish could be there one hour and be 5 miles up or down river the next.

Two responses: 1) you've probably just alienated yourself from getting tips from long-time river rats and 2)another good reason why posting spots is ill-advised and why posting information as to presentation, depth, features, etc would be more useful.

There's actually fish in the river, blush.gifblush.gif I thought I just went down there for a boat ride!! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Quote:

Two responses: 1) you've probably just alienated yourself from getting tips from long-time river rats and 2)another good reason why posting spots is ill-advised and why posting information as to presentation, depth, features, etc would be more useful.

So there's 2 kinds of pressure now:

1) too much fishing pressure on snag pile and

2) peer pressure on this forum.

It's almost like high school in the St. Croix forum.... Just have to decide which 'click' to belong to, i.e. jocks, nerds, goths, etc... tongue.gif

Quote:

So there's 2 kinds of pressure now:

1) too much fishing pressure on snag pile and

2) peer pressure on this forum.

It's almost like high school in the St. Croix forum.... Just have to decide which 'click' to belong to, i.e. jocks, nerds, goths, etc...
tongue.gif

HUH? confused.gif

Certainly, posting a 'spot' can lead to increased fishing pressure on that spot... not sure how the advice to be cautious about how much detail as to exact location is posted as opposed to more general info regarding structure, technique, etc leads you to the 'peer pressure' analogy?

Consider this: I could post the exact coordinates of a hotspot but not tell you what bait presentation or lure or color choice was working. Then, you and a bunch of other boats would go to that spot and try your favorite approach. The result would probably be that the fish would move away from that spot. Or I could post that pulling perch-patterned spinners behind a bottom-bouncer, 6 foot leader, with a crawler harness, in 14-17 fow, at 0.8 mph, working a downstream drop-off from a flat was working. What info would you rather have (and don't say all of it! smirk.gif)?

For me personally, someone could tell me an exact spot but that might not help me put fish in the boat. As posted early, this is a river and the fish move... I'd rather know what lure/bait presentation was working and the general conditions as to where the fish were located (steep drops, mud flats, current seams, close to shore, on rocks, etc). Now if that means that I'm in the 'technique clique' as opposed to the 'spot clique', so be it!

Man guys relax a bit! smile.gif Some spots are secret and others are community(Snag pile!). You both have good points but I have to say the average fisherperson is afraid to fish moving water because of trepidation and lack of experience. I have posted that I have caught fish in different areas and have never seen it overrun with activity. The average "Joe" fisherperson is going to struggle on the river untill they learn it isn't a lake. Many of the same techniques work but you have to refine them and really learn to work with the current so..............; lets all just get along and have some fun! Newbie you have a good point, about a spot on the spot, but they will be found eventually. Look at Walli! He regularly gives out his spots but unless you can fish them on the tightness of the structure you aren't going to get bit. So let's all get along and not beat each other up, we are here to learn from each other even it means giving away a spot or two. I'd like to add that I'll give away a spot or two just to keep the pressure away from where I want to fish! grin.gif Be careful what you fish for or it might just come true! grin.gif

Tunrevir~

Went back to same spot earlier today, stayed under the bridge during the storms. Caught my limit doing same thing. Though they seem to be more active on crawlers now. 1/8 oz orange jig head tipped with half a crawler was the ticket. Fishes were found in 18-25 FOW just south of the bridge. Also got a few decent crappies there too on fatheads. The white bass were going crazy when it was raining. Must of hooked at least 50+ while using minnows.

And there weren't any more traffic there then usual after I posted the spot. The whole day only saw two other boats fishing the spot. They were there for fifteen minutes each or so with no luck and moved on. They seem to be using wrong approach, fishing too shallow... from what I can see.

It's not a secret spot by any means, but you still have to know what you are doing to catch anything there.

The pharse that best goes with the river (for me) is "A day late, a dollar short."

Also, thanks for clarifying that it is "clique" and on 'click.' As you can see, I wasn't sure and did not belong to any. I was a floater. That's what I hope to be on the forum as well.... wink.gif