• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

43" INCHER

Random guy

Who said pike won't bite during a cold front and heavy wind? wink.gif

I found this gal in deeper water using a slow and steady crankbait presentation.

Sorry the pic is bad, I was by myself,it was 38 degrees, three-four foot whitecaps as the sun was just breaking the trees and I wanted that fish back in the water as soon as possible. When I had to pull the frozen cover of the boat at 4am I figured it was going to be a tough morning.

43pikefm4.jpg

Nice Pike Jonny.

Always a blast fightin those. cool.gif

beautiful fish Jonny!!! man they grow big in those waters....hopefully I can get up there during the open water!!

Wow, I bet you got some big fillets off that puppy. grin.gif Just kiddin'. Jon, did you get that fishing quiz that I e-mailed you? You have to get a perfect score to be a fishing guide. tongue.giftongue.gif

Jon quit eating Northerns when he found out how good Muskie tastes! tongue.gif hehehe J/K of course...

Seriously, AWESOME fish Jon! Wished I was up there doing the same thing... 3'ers and all!

You know the next person who hooks up with that pike will be a 6 year old with a snoopy rod! grin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

Hopefully this doesnt scare you too much but man you look like your old man. grin.gif

At least you will not find me dressed in my wool pants and wool coat in May. I feel like asking Jon if he got it on a tip-up. grin.gif

Quote:

I feel like asking Jon if he got it on a tip-up.
grin.gif

Well... there is no water in the photo so I wouldn't rule out Jonny pulling the Crestliner onto the ice with Sexy truck and watching tip-ups.

Nice fish Jon!!

And whats with that haircut? Did you forget to wear your Harvard pull-over that day? lol grin.gif

(I better shut-up or he wont post anymore pictures)

Quote:

And whats with that haircut? Did you forget to wear your Harvard pull-over that day? lol
grin.gif

(I better shut-up or he wont post anymore pictures)

Ok you jokers; I have had the same haircut since the armed forces gave me that killer do in "93"...only problem is the hair part gets smaller and smaller every year. It is not very often I am spotted without my hat.

Jonny, Red Lake would be a pretty boring place if you weren't around there! grin.gif

Great fish Jon.. Way to start off the pike season!!!

Yup, still alive. Although these jokers will have you believe I am getting skinny, going bald, suffer night chills and get my seasons confused...wait, that is happening...I better go see doctor. shocked.gifcrazy.gif

Jon, you did come and see me this week, don't you recall? Maybe you are beyond my help. Jon does add alot of spark to the area but there are quite-a-few other characters around these parts that can keep the party rollin. PASS TABASCO & MEZCAL cool.gif

Yup on Sunday, you saved my hide and had a Lakemaster chip pulled and ready at Dr. Tackle...to bad I pulled a doofus move and mounted the puck in a bad spot. I still spent the day looking around clients heads trying to see the other mapping unit. crazy.gif

Never said I was very bright.

The

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        
    • smurfy
      got mine done........for the cabin.....ready for summer festivities!!!!!!   there was still frost in the ground...........but good gawd are the lakes low!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.