• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gas Gauge??

sniper9

Question

I have a 2005 lund explorer I stored it in a clean shop all winter and when I took it out my gas gauge does not work it worked fine last fall, just thought I would see if anybody had any ideas before I decide to bring it in somewhere, Im going to the missouri river over memorial day weekend and Im going to need my gas gauge to work. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

11 answers to this question

Leave it to someone from IOWA ((Contact Us Please) Out Wandering Around smile.gif) to leave a remark like that. He probably thinks your driving that far to go catch bullheads. Just kidding! I always tell that to my college buddy from IOWA.

Sniper9, You may want to post this in the Equipment-Expert Information Forum.

Someone in there most likely can help you with your gas gauge.

Good Luck over memorial weekend.

Sifty

Sniper,

There's a way to test the gauge by running a jumper between two of the posts on the back of the gauge. I can't remember exactly how to do it right now. I am sure Valv will chime in, but if not, I will post how to do it when I get home. (edit: I looked up how to troubleshoot--see my post below)

If the gauge is good, it could be your sending unit, and I have no experience with that. If it is a bad gauge, it is really easy to replace. I just did it two weeks ago. That was my first attempt at it and it took less than an hour. Basically, buy a new gas gauge (Teleflex makes several models that should work--I got mine at Cabela's), take your old one out, and hook up the new gauge the same way. There's 4 posts on the back of the gauge (positive, negative, illumination, and sending unit). Just hook up the wires to the posts and you're set!

Here's a link to my post on the topic.

It's a simple check but did you check the fuse? All of my "accesories" are individually fused and there is an in-line fuse from the battery to the accesory panel. Just thought I'ld throw that out there in case you hadn't checked the fuse.

Okay, here's how to check your gauge:

Run a wire from the ground post on the gauge (G) to the negative terminal on your battery and from the positive post on your gauge (I) to the positive terminal on your battery. The gauge should read empty.

Next, leave the gauge hooked up as above and take a wire and connect the ground post on the gauge (G) to the sending unit post on the gauge (S). The gauge should then show full.

If not, I would replace the gauge. If it functions correctly, there is another problem.

My buddy had the exact same problem this spring with his 2006 Mr. Pike.

He said it's either a faulty ground wire to the sending unit or a faulty sending unit.

Lund Warrenty Covered it.

Ralph's advice here will isolate if the gauge is the problem or not.

What I would also do is to find the fuel sender (you'll likely have to lift the center panel of decking on your boat) and disconnect the ground wire from the sender and touch it to the pink wire. If your gauge goes to full it's not in the wiring or the gauge. It's an issue with your sender.

marine_man

It was a bad ground wire coming out of the sendind unit. Thanks for all the advice greatly appreciated!!

I have a question for the same topic. Does anyone have an idea what it would mean when I turn the toggle switch on for the gas gauge and it lights up but it goes to the left instead of the right(towards full)? Could the connections be reversed or would it be the sending unit? Thanks, lookingforluck

Back of your gauge should have 4 connectors

G for ground (Neg-) black wire

I for ignition (Pos+) purple wire

S for sending (Sending unit) pink wire

L for lighting, blue wire