• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bass Opener Anticipation Pictures

While awaiting the much anticipated Bass opener in 10 days, I though I’d start a thread where we can share some pictures/stories of our largest bass.

If you don’t have a picture, just share the story.

My PB Smallie hit a lindy rig with a chub. We were drifting lindy rigs & chubs out on a rock bar. Our largest of the day was 20.75" and I think we caught 6 or 7 over 18"

Personal Best Smallie - 19.75"

ty.jpg

I've hit 3 largies right on the 19.75" mark, but haven't busted 20" yet (on smallie or largie).

This fish was taken on a Giant Jackpot while Musky fishing. 19.75"

ty_largie4.jpg

These next 2 fish was taken on a SkitterPop while fishing near lillypads - 19.75"

ty_bass2.jpg

ty_largie1.jpg

This picture does a pretty good job of describing my largest White Bass.

ty2.jpg

All these bass above were released, so I'd love to catch them again this season! My goal for this year is to break 20" on either the smallie or largie. I fish for both quite often so we'll see.

I'm pretty excited too Tyler. I'm hoping to take a little float trip down the Zum. on the 26th.

I don't have any specific bass stories, but my first memories of fishing are of wading the Zumbro in Dodge County with my grandfather. Nothing huge, I think 17" was our best, but memories I'll never forget.

These are some nice fish Tyler. I grew up in Petersburg Va. and man seeing your picture from when you where a kid brings back some good memories of some of the biggest bass I have ever caught. Tons of them all summer. Once I moved up here I started Muskie fishing this is a fish we don't see to much of down there now I can't stop. Same with the Wally's I love them. I also see you have started to fish Catfish. This is something else we did a ton of. We fished Cats like people do pike or pan fish up here. Why is it people turn there noses up to cats. Man some of my best fishing is cat fishing you haven't caught a fish till you hit a nice Blue or Flathead on liver or cut bait same for eating the channel cats I think they are better than some wally's. Any way nice fish. I can't wait for the top water action.

no pics, but i got a 22 1/4" in high school. some fifteen years later, i finally bested that mark by a full inch. of course a 8 pound bass is nothin for out here in giant bass country. i hope to beat my pb by a good ten pounds this year cool.gif

This is my biggest bass from last year, pulled out of Chesterwood in June. My biggest bass ever was 21.5" taken out of Little Island Lake near Park Rapids. I'm really looking forward to bass fishing this summer and hope to read some good advice on bass fishing in the area on this forum.

[image]http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/y1p1UB8TEXKaa966RopnclvHZmKbpqL7-nKrUMrXv7QK33TiDp5yzoUiIB7Pmf5hiBC[/image]

fmermd0.jpg

Tyler, nice pictures. (as usual)

Nathan, your picture aint showing up, but I copied and pasted your link. That is a real nice bass. Chester Woods too! Very cool.

I don't have any good pictures of bass but I did learn one thing while fishing them large mouth when I was up north one time.

We were using a jig and twister tail having very good luck. But they kept breaking the water and spitting the hook everytime they would jump. I found out through trial and error that if I kept the rod tip down a bit they wouldn't jump so often. It just seemed everytime they jump out of the water they would come unhooked. Keeping the rod tip down a ways helped quite a bit. I think the fish stayed deeper in the water that way.

Here are a few from this last year in SE MN.

WadeSmallie4.jpg

Wade16inchsmallie2.jpg

WadeSmallie3.jpg

The first two are 17" and the last one is 18". I've hit 18.5" three different times. Hopefully this year I can break the 19" mark for SE MN.

My current best is a 21" smallmouth. Caught it on a night crawler.

fool were those on a fly. nice fish either way but very respectable on a fly. ike

Hey guys, I don't have any of the pictures to show you, but I thought I would tell you about it anyway....

My parents have a place on Mille Lacs and I have never fished for smallmouth there before, but some guy I knew told me whenever they make it up there that is all they fish for so I thought I would give it a try....It was the best thing I could of done.....we landed about 40 bassin less than 2 hours with the smallest being about 16 inches and several over the 21 inch mark(no lie)...Mille Lacs is an unbelievable smally lake,I never knew catching them could be so much fun....Now I fish them with every chance, but walleye is still the fish of choice ..... anyways if you ever get a chance to smally fish on the pond give it a chance, you will not be let down..........

Quote:

I also see you have started to fish Catfish. This is something else we did a ton of. We fished Cats like people do pike or pan fish up here. Why is it people turn there noses up to cats. Man some of my best fishing is cat fishing you haven't caught a fish till you hit a nice Blue or Flathead on liver or cut bait.

I hear ya there! Cats are frowned upon in these parts although we are starting to see a little more excitement about cattin'. I went to the "dark side" about 3 years ago and thats all I fish for in the summer now. All of the other fish species are fun, but they don't compare to the excitement and adrenaline I get from sitting on the river at night anticipating that thump or clicker run. When you get a 30lb plus flat in the boat and your knees start to shake, you know what its all about. grin.gif

Quote:

fool were those on a fly. nice fish either way but very respectable on a fly. ike

Nope those were not caught on a fly. I've tried once with a fly rod for some smallmouth. Figured out I need to get a little better with the casting part smirk.gif

No picture for this one...but 2 days ago a friend and I were out on my lake throwing real small rapalas and ultralights in the shallow water and nailing sunfish and crappies, when out of nowhere a 5-6 pound largemouth came out of nowhere and broke me off. I never had a chance...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice bass FH. It looks like your buddy could not wait to cast into your honey hole on the second picture. laugh.gif

Look at this beast I slaughtered on the Zumbro last summer -

JVL_LilSmallie.jpg

Lol thats my pole he dragged it to my thumb so I could land it but its funny you say that every other pic some one is in the backround still fishing...