• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need Ideas for Early June Trip to Kab

Alright guys -- it is finally here. My annual fishing trip with the ole' college buddies to Kabetogama. We will be staying at our faviorite Park Point resort during the first week in June.

Here is why I need your help. The last two years we have had terrible fishing. I mean really bad. I don't know if it is me or the conditions. Last year, I fished very hard for 4+ days and only brought in one Walleye. For the group of 5, we only brought in 6 walleyes. Really miserable fishing. I don't need Red Lake, but I do need some nibbles at least! So...

I would appreciate if you guys would give me some specific spots and techniques to try. To be honest, the only thing that has worked for us in the last three years is bobber fishing at dusk in the grassy's. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

- Kaby Mud Bug laugh.gif

I'm no expert. Last year was my first trip to Kab. We struggled at first but by the end of the week we were picking up on the lakes patterns. It was really warm last year, we had our best luck trolling in 5-10' of water in Tom Cod Bay. The weeds will be a problem if you troll cranks that dive too deep. I'd suggest an x-rap or another long, slender shallow diver. I'm talkin 1-3'. The bite tended to slow down after the sun started to crest, get out there at 6am or earlier if possible. I can't say cranks out fished spinner rigs, but it was pretty close. This year we plan to explore the east end more. I've got a good feelin bout Ash River narrows! Best of luck Mud. cw

This will be my 4th year. The first was rough, but still managed to have successful trip. I am basically a jig and whatever bait is working man, but I will throw a rap and troll a lindy rig occasionally. I usually do Tom Cod Bay very early and at dusk. Then during the day play around Cemetary Islands, South side of Harris Island for Walleye, or Grassy Islands for Northern. But last year was the best by far as we ventured into Namakan during the day and hit the Southwest bays, really tore up the Walleye and Smallies, just jigging. Colors varied, always have alot on hand and change often, unless the one your using is hot. Walleyes were in 6 to 15 feet and smallies every where. I always go the 1st or 2nd week of June, this year is the 2nd week. Good Luck cool.gif

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I am starting to feel good about this upcoming trip. Anyways -- if I see you guys as Shea-Shea (sp?) I will buy you a round of Long Island iced teas!

Thanks for the tips! Please keep them coming, because I need them!

Early June can be highly variable in terms of what is going on with the walleye. I would consider hiring a guide early on in the trip to get you tuned in on the pattern and learn some new areas to work. It is an investment that pays off if you continue to make trips to the area.

There are several great guides, I've had great success and learned a lot with Tim and Wade Watson.

Good luck!

There's the back current behing Moxie island that has eyes running through it chasing perch.

I would look shallow when the light is low and try out a little deeper during the day.

Do you guys know what the typical rates are for a guide for half a day?