• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any reports good or bad from bowstring, been opening on bowstring the past 12 yrs until this one. the past 3 have been very poor.

It wasnt slammin but we ended up doing good. had to work for them more than past years but they were there to be had

in the past we caught our fish 5-7 ft in muskrat on the opener. were the fish deeper? thanks

they were in shallow but so were legions of snake and perch

those pike have to be getting big by now, we always caught a boat full of them some real whoppers too, some of the bigger ones were pushing 20 inches grin.gifgrin.gif

Sorry to tell ya that the slimmers are having a tough time reaching that 20" mark this year

We were there last weekend as well. We certainly didn't pound them, but compared to everyone that I talked to, we did pretty well. I got all mine deep, 17'-25'. They were extremely aggressive, too. Also, we caught more than our fair share of hammer-handles, but it didn't seem like we caught as many when we were fishing deep. Saturday we got into some decent perch in shallow. Caught about 20 in fifteen minutes. In regard to the hammer-handles, it's amazing how many are in that lake. It's good business for the bait shops in the area. A guy's got to buy three times as many shiners as he needs because of it.

I hope you are all keeping those pike under 22". As many of our guests are finding out quantity 9 of 20" pike makes a pretty big bag of fish. As well as meat, the ONLY way we are going to help correct this issue on Bowstring and Sand is for EVERYONE to keep their limit. We can complain about the problem and do nothing about it except continue to complain or we can try to fix it. The DNR has gone out on a limb to increase the limit from 3 to 9. We ALL need to support this effort.

Great job on getting this problem on its way to being fixed. You guys have phenominal lakes for everyone to enjoy and you are right, that many pike in the well will give the family a good taste of the other white meat! Keep up the great job!!!!!

closest thing i have found to going catching rather than going fishing, is the hammers on bowstring in the spring. if ya want a pile of fish and get your tots screaming that they got another one there's the spot.

They upped the limit to 9? great to hear, it's about time. Don't forget though, make sure you're releasing any of the decent ones. It's not very often a fish in these lakes has the genetics to grow to a fair size, and those good fish need to stay in the gene pool!

i was unaware of the limit being upped, when did this happen? when i was fishing up there alot i always took my boats limit out of there. an old timer up there would take and pickle them. boy were they awful!

Good for the lake but people have to keep them ,kept 9 on opening for pickeled fish, when you do it right it makes the best pickeled fish, better then the store bought herring!

• 2 weeks later...

You mention to release the good ones. As I mentioned in my previous post the limit went to 9. That also includes a slot of all 22" to 36" pike must be returned to the lake immediately.

We woulod love to. Nothing like taking out two six yaer olds. Just give a call anytime but on Saturdays - check - in day!! Looks like the end of July or the first week in August but come up and visit anytime!!!

Was up fishing Bowstring on Sat. Got quite wet but also found some walleye on the North end humps. The 17 to 20 ft range seemed to be where we got our fish using leaches on rigs. The odd thing to me was we seemed to be getting the bites on the lea side of the humps not the windy side that you would normaly think of.

Oh yea we did take home some small Northern as well, sorry not 18 of them tho.