• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Not good on Gull!!!

Hey folks just wanted to get a feel for how every one else did on Gull this weekend? My group of 3 guys in my boat started out at the crack of 5am and ventured to several locations on the main lake with little to no fish to be found. Than as the morning went on we moved up to Booming Out bay with the other 3 thousand boats and didn't manage a fish so we pulled the plug and chased crappies till about 5pm Saturday night.

I saw the "Whaler" make an appearence in Booming Out with a trail of other boats, he,he. Hey WalleyeDan I hope you were to manage some fish for your guests. I just hope that maybe we weren't doing something wrong and should have played bumper boats to scrape out a few, should that have been my plan because there was a ton of boats out on Grassy and making hard to even navigate threw all the boats?

later,

mr smirk.gif

Most of the reports that I have heard have been fair - poor. The ones who caught eyes, caught little ones, but even those were few and far between. I havent talked to anyone yet who said to me "WOW what an awesome opener on Gull"

CA

For us the best part of the opener was the weather! Until we started trolling crankbaits in the evening. We had a blast catching fish after fish. Even released a 40" Northern, to bad it was not a Walleye but it was still fun to catch.

Live bait fishing was horrible for us. We fished all over the lake and could not buy a Walleye with a Shiner. Hopefully the live bait bite will be going strong in a week or two when I get back to Gull.

I fished gull on saturday and we did okay. Started about 8 am fished till noon and then went out again from 6:30-8:30 that evening. Boated at least a dozen each time out with about half being keepers from 14-18". My daughter lost a good one about 26"-28", my dad released a 22" and I broke off on a good one just out of reach of the net.

I fished strictly grassy point but not near other boats. Boats were clumped up all over the place but many of the best spots were vacant. We picked one or two and caught fish. The key was to be shallow (12-14 feet) and right near the weeds. 5-6 foot snell with a red hook and shiner minnow.

A few others I talked to had the same results as us.

Was going to troll cranks that evening but forgot the light for the boat in the truck and we had 6 good keepers in the well so we went in early.

From what I hear though, Mille Lacs seems to be the place to hit for larger fish.

good luck.

ccarlson

I did not fish on Saturday but did fish yesterday afternoon on Gull from 2 pm until 6 pm... Caught 4 nice walleyes.. 16-19 inches. 12 - 15 feet of water. Had a larger fish on but lost him.. Smaller spot tail shiners were the key on a green floating jig.

Also a 19 inch fish this am early...

Cold front may slow things down for a couple of days...

JC

I don't know if the fishing was that bad. The conditions haven't been ideal. Saturday early morning started OK for many boats but it slowed quite a bit as the sun popped out and the wind went down. The last few days the fish have been biting but the wind has been wild. One of our guides was out this morning. They ended up with 10 keepers and a few small ones that they threw back. He said it has been similar each day since Sunday. The fish have been tight to the weedlines on many of the traditional springtime spots. The boat control has been tough but the fish are biting. Mornings have been better than afternoons.

Jason Erlandson

My partner and I boated 30+ walleyes on Saturday. Largest was 22", the rest were 14-19 or shorties. We fished hard!!! 14 hours. Red-Tails out fished spot-tails 2-1.

cranking in the evening was good, although we did not troll cranks very long, we were tired!! All in all it was OK.

Saturday was an awesome day (weather wise). I fished all day and I think we ended up with about 12 walleye's, most of which were "doinks". We had a 15 or 16 incher and a 22 incher that we put back. We fished mainly shiners on opening day. 15-18 feet was the depth we were working. The rest of our regular guides (with exception of 1) were out on Gull. Toby was on a school in the a.m. and did pretty well, Butch had some decent fish too. I fished pan fish with the family on Sunday and was on North Long and Gull Monday and today. Yesterday and today were pretty decent. Nice to have all the boats off the "spots". Saturday drove me crazy, not sure if I'll open on the Great Gull Lake again (unless I have to). Maybe it was the late start that frustrated me, not sure. Any body else find it hard to get on any of your "spots"? I like days like today, cold, wet and windy.

Walleyedan

Hey WalleyeDan, we were trolling cranks early and did ok on Sat.. We made a point to get away from the masses. A few boats showed up but were out deeper (we were 10-12). They'd move in and set up shop where we'd catch fish and it kind of shut us down. bummer... but I don't really know what the etiquette is and figured our bite would have shut down soon anyway (sun was getting high). I'm new to fishing and didn't want to have silly expectations. By the way... has anyone had any success as far south as bowtie?

actually we did boat one fish and it was just south of Bowtie but it was a measly 8incher.

mr

Meat Run,

We had 8 guides out on Gull this afternoon and I guess it was going strong. Most caught and released, but the fish they kept were very nice munchers. I was on Mille Lacs all day and was able to make it back to see most of the guys come back to the dock. Pretty cool to see everyone do well. I think if you head out now you'll find better success. Mille Lacs was pretty good.

Walleyedan

I was out on Gull late this afternoon and Dan is right, the walleye's were really active... They were all over shiners in about 15 ft of water... Bonus a nice 32 inch Northern that was really fun to catch on 8lb test line..

Also no one around which is even better!

I will be back on Gull in the morning... The big lake next week if the weather is ok.

Joel

Dan, Jconrad,

any fish from the south end don't need spots but just wondering if they are now relating to structure? I'm heading out tonight after work at Gov Point access and staying south just becuase of the high winds expected today, 25mph.

mr

My fish are on structure where there are some rocks and new weeds... 13 - 16 ft of water on a sharp break near deep water.... Lindy rig with a floating jig head. I was out this am at 5:30 and fished for 2 hours... Caught quite a few small walleye's and kept two 17 inch fish. Ran out of shiners.. The wind is going to be tough today. South end should be good!

I wish you the best today!

Jconrad,

thanks for the help. I will post my "luck" on Monday. I'm going to give Leechs a try and pass on the shiners tonight because my goal is to try out my new trolling rods that I have put together. Also if the wind isn't to bad I just might pull out the planner board to get more comfortable with it.

thanks,

MR smile.gif

I did try leeches last night and did not catch any on a leech. I may try them again this evening. Need to pick up some more shiners this afternoon. If you catch one slow down and really work the area over. When I found them they were bunched up and it took very little time to catch a limit.. They really turned on about an hour before dark..

Good luck... I see Dan is on the South end of the lake today. Saw he and his client catch 2 smaller fish through my binocs. Can't miss the whaler....

He is fishing structure in the middle of the lake... FYI...

Jconcrad,

thanks for the tip. You saved me from emailing him later in the day for a one on one counseling just before I hit the water. I have heard that some rainbows been turning some fish.

Later,

mr