• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

water pump help?

SCUMFROG

Question

I have a 96 old's delta 88 with a 3.8l. It needs a water pump, but I can't get 1 bolt out because of the power steering pully is in the way. How do I get that bolt out with out taking the whole power steering system out?

17 answers to this question

Some times you just have to do things. This is why repair shops charge $80 to $100 and hour. Can you get one of those ratchet end wrenchs in their? If you can keep lines hooked up, it should not be much to remove pump. It may take a puller, that you local parts store could provide (possibley rent).

I can get at the bolt and get it almost out, then it hits the pulley. I can't even see the mounting bolts for the power steering pump. I'm not sure if I could get a puller in there and if I did how would I get it back on (the pulley)?

Some pullers are very small. they only have an inside bolt and a stop. It sounds like you need to pull the pully. It their a hole in pully to access a extention and socket?

To take the pully off? The water pump bolt hits the very edge of the pulley if I could just move the darn pully 1/2 inch to the left it'll come right out.

Sounds like you need a puller for that pully. Could you slightly unbolt power pump to get that 1/2" space?

yes you need to pull the pulley off and it will have to be pressed on too .there is a special tool for both jobs.

I don't remeber talking the pulley off a 3.8 to replace the water pump. If you look through the holes of the power steering pump pulley you should see the bolts that hold the pump on. I think there are 2. I think they have a 13 mm head. you should be able to remove them through the holes in the pulley. Once they are out the pump will move back enough to get the bolt out.

The bolt tuoches just the edge of the pump pulley. So you can't line up the holes to go though it. If the bolt was about 2 turns smaller it would come out. confused.gif

Can I pull the pulley off and press it back on with it still in the car?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I think what airjer is saying is to loosen the power steering pump, that'll give you enough play to get the water pump bolt out.

I believe what airjer is saying is correct, I thing there is 2 holes in the p/s pulley, and they are offset abit, one of them should line up with the p/s pump bolts, then just lift the pump up out of the way.

Thanks guys, thats what I was trying to say!

I did ask earlier if holes were in pully and he did not say their was any.

If by chance you still have to remove pulley, these are the types of puller's you may need. I know these images might not be your exact pump, but should be simmiler.

Good luck!

0900823d8012fdf9.jpg

0900823d8012fdfa.jpg

I wish it had a supercharger. grin.gif I get what your saying now. I talked to a guy I work with here and he's done one before. I thought you ment to go though the pulley on the p/s pump to get the water pump bolt out. blush.gif Sorry I miss understood. Thanks for all the info.. I'll let you know how it goes tonight..

Thanks for the info I got it done. I had to take the P/S pump off and it went fine. Thanks again. grin.gif