• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's the easiest way to get into Gamehaven Res.? I took my 5 year old daughter there yesterday afternoon and parked off of Cty 1 at the "Ranger Station". It got to be a bit of a walk for her and was thinking that there's got to be an easier way. On a side note, we did catch some fish in the hour that battled the winds!

Thanks!

Parking at the boy scout camp and hiking in a mile is the only way I know of to get down to the lake. I was out there today fighting the wind and hoping for some crappies, but I ended up hooking nothing but small bass.

there is another way in but i think it is just as far as a walk. and i believe you have to climb the dyke to get to the lake. If you come from the north (45th st) there is a spot for you to park otherwise you have to park at the boyscout camp. Good luck i hope the map helps. This is one of my favorite holes to fish because it is diffucult to walk to. I enjoy the walk and i never find any garbage floating or where it shouldn't be. map.png

ike

Ike! I thought you died. Haven't seen many posts from you in a while.

Quote:

Ike! I thought you died. Haven't seen many posts from you in a while.

Come bass season, that'll change! wink.gif

been real busy. Redid my boat interior and that has been keeping me off the water. But yes i will come out of the woodwork with bass season approaching. I already have a couple of trips down to the river cause i couldn't take it anymore. but i have to admit that it is nice being missed. ike

I've never been to Gamehaven. Are there any access restrictions by the Boy Scouts?

it is walk in only. We put our canoe on wheels once and took it back there though. It was quite a hump with all that equipment it is always a little longer than you remember it. No motorized vehicles and probably trolling motors only if you dare drag one back there. ike

Thanks! I took my dad and my daughter back there yesterday and hoofed it in from the boyscout parking lot again, but when driving home found the back way. We'll try that next time. Thanks!!!

On a side note, my daughter had a blast catching little sunnies for 2 hours! She's really starting to take a liking to fishing which is what I was hoping for, and my dad, I think he had just as much fun watching my daughter reel in those fish. If you'd have watched my daughter reeling in those fish, you'd have sworn she was battling a 40" northern! grin.gif

Thanks Ikeslayer,

I may have to give it a go this year. I'm always interested in finding a new fishing spot. I'm usually out wading for smallies.

AHH it is almost that time isn't it! Having only been in the area about three years I have had reasonable success on lake Zumbro, and the river below the dam, as well as the Root River. Actually, my largest smallie last year (in this area) came from the Root at a fat 19.25" he put up a hell of a fight on my five weight fly rod. I wasn't even fishing for smallies that day either.

DW glad to hear you had some sucess. Always nice to be part of someones sucess in one way or another. I love hearing about your daughter i bet it was great to watch. 3 generation fishing/ hunting is great don't know if it can be beat. ike

Look for running water and cast! Seriously, over the years I've caught smallies below the Silver Lake Dam, below the Mayowood Dam, below the Lake Zumbro Dam and even downstream from the Mantorville Dam. It's looking like a Dam good fish story. Anyway, my largest smallie came from a stretch less than a 1/4 mile upstream from Oxbow Park. At least 19 inches. A couple of weeks later I talked to a guy that said he caught a 19 incher in the same general area and that smallie was now in his freezer waiting for a space on a wall. It made me feel sick. I live in Kasson and I do most of my smallie fishing in the Zumbro branch between Mantorville and Oxbow. The Root River is also becoming a new favorite of mine, but I like being able to change into my wading boots and hitting the water just a few minutes after work. Last year I only managed to get out fishing 3 times ALL YEAR! That won't happen again. My New Years Resolution is to FISH MORE OFTEN. I'm worth it and I deserve it. I also hope to fish new waters this year.