• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

live bait rods...what to buy??

Im looking for a new live bait rod, something that is decent quality. I was using a 7' Quantum Retroflex Med/fast and liked it but was thinking on a St. Croix Avid or Quantuum Tour edition PT in a 7' or 7'6.

What would you live bait experts reccomend on a walleye rod?

G. Loomis rods aren't in the budget either but something in the $150-$200 cnd. range. cool.gif

Cheers!!

I really like the St. Croix Med Lites. I build my own, but I am sure the stuff off the shelf is pretty good too.

There's nothing wrong with a St Croix Avid, I have one and like it. But before you buy anything, check out the Shimano Crucial. I purchased a 6'6" med X-fast last year and I liked it so much I purchased a 7'0" med-light fast for rigging this year. The Crucial is IM9 graphite with a lifetime over the counter exchange warrenty too.

I ues the Shimano Compre's, very good rod's. 7 and 6-6 med.light's. Very good rod's for $89.00

I should add that a 7' Shimano Crucial will run you about $150 retail.

Also very nice rod's. I would say that I would buy the nicest rod you can within your specific budget. You won't go wrong w/any of the rod's that have been listed!

Do not overlook St Croix's Premier series rod's either I like the PS70MLF as a rigging rod I think they are around 90 dollars

Take a good look at Ganders Ultimate Titanium series rod. A great rod for $120 with great warranty.

Ill 2nd the Shimano compres.I purchased a 7'7" riggin rod from Thornes.I think its about 110bucks,every bit as good as my 7'6" avid.

for what kind of fishing?...slip bobber...lindy rigged?

jigging with live bait...crawler rig...

Quote:

I should add that a 7' Shimano Crucial will run you about $150 retail.

Actually the Crucial retails at $139.99 And have a lifetime over the counter exchange warrenty. Same with the Compre rods..

As for the orig question.. as the post right above me states, it really depends on what kind of live bait rig you are talking about. I would use much different rods for slip bobber fishing, to jigging, to lindy rigging. Jigging I usually use a slightly shorter rod, 6'6"-6'8" ML with an extra fast tip.. Lindy rigging I use a ML 7'2" rod, the added length helps to take up the slack on the hook set. For slip bobbers I use a 7' M action rod, a little more back bone is needed to set the hook as you often have a ton of slack line because of hte angle to the hook from the bobber...(all my rods I just described are Shimano Crucials..)

Just my opinion!

Staffing for Quantum I would like to see a Tour go out the door. With the life-time over the counter warranty it's a great value. If the live bait fishing is strickly bobber fishing then you do not need a high end rod. I have two of the old Gator Back rods that I use strickly for bobber fishng and they are probably the best bobber rods I've ever used, I think they sold for 39 bucks at the time. For rigging or jigging then you may want a better quality rod, remember with the quality of today's super braid lines even a middle of the road rod becomes quite a sensitive stick.

Im looking for a rigging rod, Ive got the rest covered.

Cheers!!

I'm subjective about this (Shimano Fanatic)...

I've got two (very recent Shimano Crucial) lindy rig / drop shot rods, both 6'8" one med.light the other med.heavy.

I'm using the med.light for weights of 1/8 to 3/8 oz in lakes or slack water. Whereas I'm using the med.heavy for weights of 3/8 to 5/8 oz. in heavier currents or deepwater.

So far I've used the med.light and detected every bite and hooked fish, except for one but that was my fault for pulling the line at the same time I had a strike. I didn't think I had enough back bone to control bigger fish - so that's where the med.heavy would come in.

After testing many different rods I picked up a Shimano Crucial 7"6 with the cut out cork handle. Its really sweet and managed to go for an evening fish on my boat and landed 2 soft biting walleye. Im really happy with it and appreciate all the advice. grin.gif

Cheers!!

Sounds great...would be interested in hearing what your set up on that rod is and your opinion on it's performance.

Well Im running the 7'6 Crucial with a Quantum Catalyst PTI Spin reel. Ive got 6 lb. Trilene XT on one spool and FireLine Crystal 6 lb on the other. I would like to go to 4 lb but there are so many pike that take rigs I like a bit heavier line.

Im really amazed at the difference between my old quantum rod and this Crucial, its like night and day difference. I really like the 7'6 length as I usually fish in the front of my 1800 Fisherman and it gets it away from the boat and tangles in the prop.

My next upgrade will be switching my Shimano Convergence 7' bottom bouncer rod, which I broke the tip on from a slammed door to a another Crucial or possibly a G Loomis GL 2.

Cheers!!

I use shimano's 7' med. light compre. I've been very pleased with it and it's a bargain at only 89.95

OOOOHHHH!!! Who said Shimano? *Drools*..... sorry I'll go get the mop.

Go with a loomis and you will have no excuses. found a imx for 175.00 that was definitly worth it although it was in hideing most of the winter. Already boated 35+ eyes on local lakes without huge populations. You will be surprised by the rocks you feel that you never new existed before.