• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pool 2 !!!Danger!!!! It was a rattler!

I was down at swinge bridge yesterday morning and fishing for about an hour and saw a snake with diamond shape cross marks on it side. It was sunning it self on the jammed log by fence. I was told it could only be a Mississippi rattle snake. I do not know of any other snake down there with criss cross markes on it. I could be wrong. All I had was cell phone camera, but got a couple of shots. Makes you think what is under your chair when sitting on shore. It spooked me!

tBvajPYz+SOtvCfepr05sNaUlB--gj8I0300.jpg

8VoV7q6mrmhqWW9W4FmMAQ0SRFoMJ5280300.jpg

I have seen bull snakes down by Fort Snelling, which to the laymen look like a rattler. I have seen many rattlers by barns bluff in red wing, but I dont believe they are this far north. Could be a straggler though...

Gimme bears, lions, and tigers... im fine.

Snakes, spiders, and other sneaky things... im a little girl. grin.gif

I have delt with bull's all my life, This is like no other I have seen in Minnesota. It realy took to water. I do not think diamond backs live in Minnesota, but this snake had diamond shape markes on its back and sides. If you want to see it, go down to the swinge bridge in St. Paul and soon enough you will see it. I saw it twice with in an hour.

Unless you seen it up close in person you really cannot tell what kind of snake it is. And if it was a rattler maybe it was someone's pet? I don't think it would make it through next winter.

There are 2 species of rattlers in Minnesota,the massauga and timber rattler.Both are found only in the southeastern part of Minnesota.Massauga's are extremely rare and timber rattlers can swim but will try and avoid water when they can.Timber rattlers are also fairly uncommon...especially that far north,although,not unheard of.I was born and raised in St.Paul and spent my youth on the bottoms in and around Lilydale.There's been more than one timber rattler found down there in the area of the old brickyards.However,the snake you saw was quite likely a northern water snake.They are very common on the river and are often seen swimming or sunning themselves near the water.I'm a little confused as to why you would say danger?Rattlers are shy,reclusive creatures that will usually retreat,given the opportunity.If it truly was a rattler,consider yourself fortunate for having seen one.Most people that are bitten by a rattler have either accidentally stumbled upon one,unaware of it's presence or were intent on disturbing it.Rattlers like all snakes,are one of the most maligned creatures on earth.They are excellent mousers and are a very beneficial creature to have around.

yea when we were in whitewater state park we saw signs saying caution:rattle snakes.That scared the crap outta me cuz i hate snakes lol

Thanks RiverHog for list. The snake I had seen also had redish color to it. Either it was a northern water snake or timber rattler. It was a rather large snake. The main reason I stated "Danger" was (and I stated this in Cat fish forum) a short time before seeing snake, I was hanging on to roots coming out of bluff trying to free a snagged up large catfish I had on my line. The tree roots stick out of bluff and would help me from sinking in mud. The snake I saw, entered twice right in this area. If it had been sunning it's self on the roots I was hanging from, I could have gotten bit. I know it would of been my fault (for not looking), but I still would of had a nasty bit or worse. troutman, by growing up down their, you should know how many weird things can happen. The main reason I do think it was a rattler was because of its size and the two other guys who were down there said they saw tail rattle when it got up on shore. I did not see this, but it sure looked like one. We did not harm snake and I did not want this to come accross as a "Jaws" like thing. Just keep an extra eye out for thing like this on shore. They may be shy, but step on them or put your hand by them on accident you will get hurt. That is the danger I speek of.

Picture ain't much good, But I'd say it's a fox snake,

they grow BIG down there, and with color variations they look pretty similar, they will coil and hiss at ya, definatley will scare the poop outta of ya... I hate snakes

i dont care what kinda snake that is, that thing is big and it would've scared the crap outta me!good looking out shack

I have had,Fox,Bull,Milk and Garter snakes as pets.Lots of snakes will "rattle" when disturbed.Obviously the snakes goal is to make you think it's a rattler and to leave it alone.Again,given it's proximity to water and the fact that it was hanging out there,I'm inclined to believe that it was a water snake.Unlike a rattlesnake,they are very aggressive and they will not hesitate to strike at and/or bite you.I have found them to be quite fearless.I could tell you stories but.....I think you're scared enough already. grin.gif

tell them - it's interesting.

Let's see - on p4 I saw a 4 foot brown/light tan snake. No idea what it was, but it was big and swimming and went under water. Ah yes this was only yards away from Everett's resort. I saw a similar one further south on Pool 4 again swimming. Must be that northern swim snake you speak of.

My ex step father had a boa and a python. One was albino and got loose a couple times. The ex step father was a dumb arse (thus the ex - thanks mom) and he left the friggen cage unlocked. Um Hello!

I would say water snake for sure!! They are pretty harmless. We would run into them alot as kids swiming and while fishing.There is always snakes in that area!!. From there all the way up the inside cut of that island just north of the bridge. Wait till he trys climbing in blush.gif I have never heard of anyone having any problems with them beside that. They have to see a ton at the marina there.

I have come to the point now that I do think it was a norther water snake. Given the "Loc Ness" type photo and the coloring and features of snake, I do believe it was a water snake. What I did read of then on DNR site, furthers the possiblty of being bit by one. The DNR site stated they will be aggresive and bite if cornered. It is not deadly, but will hurt. Still would not want to step on one. Ah, this forum area needed a little shakin up anyways.

Mind you,this is coming from someone that really likes snakes and has kept snakes as pets his entire life.

Once,while fishing an unnamed backwater,I encountered a water snake going about the business of being a water snake. I thought that I would like to try and get a better look at this critter so,I motored up to it as close as I could,given the conditions.I then proceeded to stick an oar out into the water to try and contain and observe the snake.The snake did like this intrusion and repeatedly struck at the oar with increasing aggression .I attempted to retreat but,the snake swam toward me and my boat.IT WAS ATTACKING ME!It was pissed and it had had enough of me bothering it.In the end,I was able to escape without further altercation but,needless to say,I gained a great deal of respect for water snakes that day.

I read they are supposed to put out an odor as well. Did you smell anything differnt when you were by it?

Rattlesnakes swim with their rattles out of the water. At least all the ones I saw growing up in Alabama do.

I once had a snake, not sure what type, come after my boat at he st croix bluffs park. I was testing out a new bow mount trolling motor in the little cove there, and I must have pissed him off. It started chasing the boat and at one point was actually crawling up the trolling motor shaft. I had to use one of the supports for my boat cover to remove him and get him back in the water. Needless to say I pulled the motor and found somewhere else to paly around.

This snake was maybe 3 feet long, light brown with dark brown or black marking and a very triangular head. Wasnt a rattler, but also didnt look like any bull snake I've ever seen.

Maybe one of those water snakes? Do they have a triangular head?

• 2 weeks later...

judging by the photos, i'd say it's bigfoot..... or nessie.....

• 2 weeks later...

30 years ago I was crawling around on the bluffs in the Kinnickinnic State park on the St Croix river and was eye level with something rattling. I retreated only to see another one slither off in the grass also rattling.

But I was drunk and had been smoking the wacky tobbacky too so who knows? smirk.gif

Them two apart are one thing, but together. I do not know!!!!!!!!

I was sober the day I took the pics grin.gif..

• 4 weeks later...

hey. in my poor hearted atempt at a college education, the only class i did worth a darn was herpetology(the study of reptiles and amphibians)

i gotta say northern watersnake. i came across a dead one one time that was all of five feet long. you see them alot and they will scare you evey time.

the massassagua rattler is really rare and quite small. i've heard that their rattle is simmilar to a bee buzzing.

but, bees sacre the poop out of me most of the time too cool.gif