• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How to save gas...

MNice

Question

Drive the speed limit.. I'm one of those guy's who check mileage at almost every fill. My 32 mile commute takes me from just S. of New Prague to Chanhassen, mostly 55 limit with a small section of 65 on 169. I usually drive easy, I don't hammer the gas, but I'm about 5 mph over the limit. the last few fills I tried to just drive the limit and real easy on the gas. My mileage went from an average of 18.23-18.78 to 19.74-20.52. My last tank was 20.33, 413.6 miles on 20.341 gallons. Not bad for a full size truck and with gas around $3.00 every little bit helps.

17 answers to this question

not bad at all. I'm getting around 19 to 20 with my full size pickup. It does make a differnce like you said.

Dang...I got a 97 chevy half ton 350 vortec...i'm getting close to 16 mpg and I thought that was good. That's good to know those new trucks get even better gas mileage.

Quote:

That's good to know those new trucks get even better gas mileage.

Not exactly new.. 2001 with 143,000 miles

My new 07 Tundra with the 5.7 Liter (381 hp) is getting around 18 mpg driving 70. Pulling 1750 Lund Tyee around 14 mpg.

Are you Ron Schara.....I saw that on Minnesota Bound also.

I'll be the guy passing you.. grin.gif

Then he will be the one passing you, stopped along the highway with a state trooper behind you, or at the next gas station. grin.gifgrin.gif

Just kidding! Im not one of the slower ones on the road, I dont get the greatest fuel economy when I drive, but I get there alot faster! cool.gif

You are correct but the problem is that on some busy roads if you're going 55 you'll end up with tailgater after tailgater until they can pass you. They're all in a hurry. For safty sake you're almost better off going a little faster, say 60 in a 55.

Quote:

For safety sake you're almost better off going a little faster, say 60 in a 55.

I agree, when I did my very unscientific testing grin.gif there was very little traffic. I'm in Chan by 6:30 AM and my commute is virtually traffic free. Good point though!!

I'm probably one of those drivers most of you love to hate. I could give a rats behind whether I'm slowing traffic so long as I am driving at the speed limit. In fact, on some occasions I have been known to slow down when I encounter someone that doesn't have the sense to stay off my rear.

I guess I'm not going to violate the laws just because others want me to.

Bob

I knew that at some point there would be something we could agree on BobT! grin.gif

Quote:

You are correct but the problem is that on some busy roads if you're going 55 you'll end up with tailgater after tailgater until they can pass you. They're all in a hurry. For safty sake you're almost better off going a little faster, say 60 in a 55.

It seems it doesn't matter how fast you're going when you're pulling a boat... 'bleeps' behind you have to get in front of you... then slow down. Tell me this hasn't happend to you.

Nick

I've driven the "old man" way for about a year now, and I gotta tell you; the benefits are more than just fuel economy. Dialing it back to 60-65 on the freeway and literally living in the right lane is a much easier way to drive. Instead of staying at the 75+ mph pace, actively working to pass people, and getting all worked up in the process; I've toned it down and brought it to a level that can be enjoyed by the driver and passengers alike. Conversations can be held, good vibes are getting passed about, and you get to see all of the sweet rides and boats as they pass you by. The extra 20 minutes in the truck to me are worth it to have the previous 2 1/2 hours enjoyed.

Let someone else have the headaches, but stay out of their way and keep to the right lane!!! Even if you are the one passing; get back into that right lane, please, and don't cause the guy behind you wanting to go 85 mph to make a right lane pass and scare the snot out of us respectable "Sunday Drivers."

Please drive safely out there, and any accident will slow ALL of us down. Last I checked, NOBODY likes to crawl along on the freeway

I get 14 to 15 mpg hwy and 10 to 12 pulling my boat (lund angler 1700). I got a different pick up this past winter and upgraded from the 5.3 litre 1/2 ton chevy to a 3/4 ton with a 6.0 liter...it does pull nicer but definitely sucks the gas. I've since learned to drive 65 in a 65 and 60ish in a 55.

Mo '03 GMC Sierra gets 17-19 MPG driving ~75 MPH easy.

The key??

Synthetic in everything. smile.gif

Keep the air pressure in the tires at max. smile.gif

Run a good Amsoil or K&N Air Filter. smile.gif

"Draft" - but don't tailgate - your MPG will go up 1-2 MPG more. smile.gif

Your rig:

Keep the tires up to max. smile.gif

Back the motor down about 1000 RPM off the max instead of running max. smile.gif

There you go. Have a great time fishing.

I got almost a 2 mpg increase after switching to synthetic. I'm now getting around 21 mpg (mostly hwy) in my '01 Grand Cherokee with a V8.

Definitely not unusual.

Most synthetics should give you an increase of 3% to 5% over conventional petroleum lubes, in each engine, transmission and differential (plus more for 4wd with transfer case and 2 diffs). A bumper to bumper change with an increase of 10% is not unusual, but more to be expected.

An apology in advance about the commercial comment, but it is the subject in this thread. There is a difference in synthetic brands. Castrol and the others that sell a "group 3" synthetic will get the least improvement. (A group 3 synthetic takes a regular petroleum base lube and submits it to an extra manufacturing step.) Group 4 PAO based synthetics will give better improvements, because the molecule is totally designed to be more slippery. Mobil 1 is one, AMSOIL is another, and AMSOIL does outperform Mobil 1. Any further details and specifics please e-mail me privately.