• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

There was this joker last night that torqued me off. We were on our way to the dock at the access and we were floating in and he zipped in full speed and cut us off.

Then we got the boat to the dock and and some old guy was having troubles and the young guy just walked/ran past him and we helped the guy load his boat.

Then we had to help the young guy because he could not back up his truck very well and not load the boat without us.

It was good to help out others but I hate it when people try to "cut" in line.

Yeah, he was just a kid drinking beer with a couple of girls -- one with a micro skirt on, I might add, but he should not have done that.

Do you guys think I should have told him -- do you think he knew and didn't care or is my breath wasted on the youth?

Thoughts?

After helping him out it would have been a good time to mention that what he did wasnt very cool and that someone else might have slapped him up a bit and stole his mini skirt wearing little friend. grin.gif

I am only 25, but i feel like a relic compared to some of the kids 21 and under there seems to be a huge difference in the way I grew up and this younger generation. I always catch myself sayin da*# kids. I would say that at least this kid is in the outdoors, but maybe he just needs some guidance. There is still help for some of them. I just wish the kids now, got to experience dad's belt like I did.

Dragon -- we had a couple of beers and kinda felt like being pirates and just grabbin' the gal but we were a tad smarter than that. It was a fun fairy tale. grin.gif

Quote:

kinda felt like being pirates

Oh.... so that's why you have a thing for puffy shirts and eye patches. now it makes sense grin.gifwink.gif

I'd a gave him a good as_ chewing and made him look like a schlep in front of those gals he was trying to impress.

Quote:

Do you guys think I should have told him -- do you think he knew and didn't care or is my breath wasted on the youth?

Thoughts?

Kids these days are just brain dead....look at their culture/idols/heros.....better off with a slap upside the head.

Please lets not use the kids term in general, there are some good ones.

I was young once. But I was raised to respect others.(not that i learned much) but I did not pull crap like that. I had an incident last year when young deliquint in his daddies pro-V tried to swamp me on Pelican. I went and talked to his dad and called the sherriff. His dad was none to happy with his little angel. Some people are just peckerheads.

fisherdog.. I think if that was the case he would have probably puffed his chest to show off to the girls... Hopefully he felt like a big enough shmuck when he couldn't load his boat on his own tongue.gif

hit44 ., it is not only young people ., i have had more adults come in and do that to me then young people ., and yes, it tic's me off,. and i do say something!! but it just seems to go over there head., hey to all , good luck this weekend and stay safe.,!!

Hiya -

It really can be amazing sometime can't it. I've been threatening to pick some sunny Saturday afternoon, take a lawn chair and a cooler full of beers, park on the little grassy knob right next to the East access on Pelican, and just watch the entertainment. I've seen some amazing stuff there - pontoons dumped on their sides, jack-knifed trailers, ski-boats dropped on the concrete, props and lower units thrashed... Seen a few marraiges come apart at the seams there too. One of my favorites was the guy and his kid trying to load a big ski boat by backing the trailer all the way in (back of the trailer was 4' down), then simultaneously pulling the truck forward while driving the boat forward too. Kid in the truck went faster than the dad in the boat, boat was on the back half of the trailer only, kid kept pulling forward and pulled the boat part-way out of the water, then it slid off the trailer. BOOM - onto the ramp. Stove in the bow like you can't believe. Felt a little bit bad for them, but I'd offered to help, and he was offended that I thought he needed it...

As my grandpa used to say often: "200 horse motors, 10 horse brains..." smile.gif

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Dead --

No -- that is just my "Prince" outfit.

Old HS joke on myself.

Right on Cliffy.

Can I quote you on that?

Just kidding, My Brother.

RK- good stories...

I got one... Was out fishing 2 years ago on a small lake in sothern otter tail county. This big bass boat was fishing and screaming and fishing and screaming from spot to spot. Just when the sun started to set he took off for shore shooting a rooster tail all the way. 10 minutes later we took off and when we got to the landing the boat was on shore, literally. The guys that had been on shore said that he was still shooting a rooster tail at the end of the dock. There was speckly paint all the way up the concrete slabs. we kind of kept quiet and helped. It took 9 of us and the trailer unhooked from the truck, we would winch and pry winch and pry till we had enough leverage to push her back in the water. Unbeleivable!!!! Then when he got her loaded up he just left... Man was he nervous. He never said a word and thank god that there was nobody else at the landing when it happened.

RK I believe my sister graduated with you...

I'll tell ya one thing -- if somebody needs help I am going to do it regardless if I like them or what they do.

The season we helped those kids is not because we waqnted to get going so we could load our boat. We helped because it was the right thing to do.

Same reason I open the door for people that need a hand, same reasons I help withb cub scouts, t-ball little kid wrestling and other things.

I am NOT blowing my own horn -- it is how I was raised and it is the right thing to do.

What if we call said to heck with doing the right thing and helping out -- where would we be? I think it is a place that rhymes with hair gel.

I am off my soap box -- sorry about the rant I just get P Oed when people (yeah, not just kids) don't have a clue.

Vicki

I think you two were in the same class...

After softball and too many beers, er, I mean adult beverages, I get a call from my Dad. He had borrowed my pickup to take the boat out. He did not put the emergency brake on and tried to crank up the boat. When the boat got about half way up the clutch let go and back she went. Did you know a Chevy Luv floats? It got behind the dock and the breeze pushed it in front of the dock before she went down...to just over the hood. I had minnows in between the seat and back cushions. Great thing about it was we got it running again, but every time something broke on it I needed to say no more than the mechanic said it was rusted like it had been in the water or something. For years we joked about getting "Louie's Car Wash" t-shirts made. Dad was the happiest the day I got rid of the old Chevy Luv.

You guys on this forum are so much more interesting than the Ottertail-Battle Lake-Perham-FF forum.

On Green Lake in Spice MN, about 20 years ago when I was skinnier than I was dumb, My dad and I were on one side of the dock;, just tied to the dock, and were about the step out of the boat when the kids on the other side of the dock with some crazy cigar/ski boat took off full throttle and forgot to untie from the dock. Dock kept going, we tipped over and got really wet, dumped out tackle box and poles in the drink before the kid realized what he had done. No one got hurt and it was pretty funny. I had forgot about it till I read the story about the guy who forgot to stop. I did not know a aluminum dock could do that.

Boring 'ol Ottertail guys, LOL grin.gif

The west access on Ottertail can be VERY entertaining. It is right on the river outlet, so there is the added component of a fairly strong current. There is a bridge right below the access with a small dam/water control structure. Screw up, and you are there real quick.

People who do not have their rigs in a good state of tune usually provide the most entertainment. I saw a young fella launch a PWC one time with his girlfriend. They tied it to the dock, then parked their truck/trailer. The hopped on, pushed away from the dock, and it failed to start. They were working really hard to keep out of the bridge/dam. At that point there was not really much I could to to help them. The girl was not at all impressed, grin.gif.

I've seen a couple of boats do this too.

Even a successful launch can provide entertainment here. As you pull away from the ramp, the water is shallow for a good long ways, with a few strategic rocks that can do awful things to props in lower water levels.

Loading can be entertaining here. If you dont have a second person to help, the current can really play havoc with getting on the trailer straight.

I got a real "kick" out reading this post from all of you!

Remember the saying from a Great Fisherman, Bill Dance!

"Take a man fishing and you entertain him for a day, but teach him to fish and you will introduce him to a lifetime of joy".

But, "I think, you got to teach some manners along with that too!" (Mine, came at the end of a leather belt!) That is not really necessary. But we need to teach them how to respect others too. Don't just teach them how to fish,,,, Teach them to respect others,,,,,

Don't be too harsh, they too will learn!

Some, never had a Dad like We did!

But, bring it to their attention, every time you get the chance, and maybe it will take hold!

Good fishin to you all!

Yeah those guys on the access -- It can be pretty funny.

You know -- way back in the day -- I remember being a 22-year old kid trying to get a "piece of Junk" started on the Rush Lake access.

I know I made a lot of people mad -- including me and my buddies.

It is easy to forget those things.