• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Welcome IXL,

Glad you finally joined. Too bad the terms weren't more on a positive note, but I with you on the subject. I do think the best option we have at this point is education (Selective Harvest & CPR (Catch Photograph & Release)) and leading by example.

I fish very often, and often times the fish I catch make their internet "photo" debut, but the fish live to brag about it to their buddies, and my freezer is full of pizza.

There is a great article in this years In Fisherman's ice fishing guide that is a must read. It's titled "OUR FRAGILE FISHERIES" with a sub title "WHAT'S LEGAL ISN"T NECESSARILY ETHICAL" Really makes one think.

I agree with everthing you guys are saying. In fact I just sent an E-mail to the DNR office. I will share any replies I receive

Good mourning,

I've got to ask this question for myself and on behalf of a lot of responsible fisherman in the Rochester area. Why are there no special regulations to preserve the quality of fishing in the small reservoirs around Rochester. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled that we now have a lot of opportunities to fish in an area that had almost nothing 20 years ago.Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the limits a little high for small bodies of water. I will gaurentee that the responsible fisherman would be all for lower limits and possibly catch and release only. KR 7 used to be a great place to fish until the Post Bulletin published a photo of some guys with some real nice perch.The next thing you know the meat hunters swarmed in and now it seems you can only catch 6" Perch 4"Gills and Crappies out there. I've driven by Silver Creek Reservoir a few times this week and there are a ton of shacks out there, it won't be long and it will be like KR 7.

Thanks for your time. I will share your response with the great bunch of people that make up the responsible fishing community in the Rochester area

Sincerly,

Jim Mason

That was very well put. I am completely 100% for some stricter regulations on our fisheries. Wouldn't it be great to be catching bigger fish than we have been? It is so funny, I have always wanted to fish out there at Silver Creek, but because of the disputes, I never did. Now that it is open I don't feel like I should. I have always heard such good news about that place, but always respected others and didn't do it. I will probably stay to my usuals Chester Woods, Foster Arends and the backwaters of the Miss. How would we get something started with the DNR to address this? There has got to be a way we can at least let the DNR know ho wso many fisherman really feel about this. Does anyone know if any of these reservoirs other than Foster, gets stocked anymore?

Yes - this is exciting and another fishing spot around Rochester......but keep in mind what the reserviors are for - water run off & retention. Maybe a report should be done to test the quality & toxin levels of the fish? I for one welcome the opportunity to have this opened up, but will practice catch & release!

Jim and Chris, I remember a year back when there was talk about the legality on one of the ponds near RedWing. There was so much talk that a person on the forum took the time to call the DNR and talk to a warden and point him to this forum so he could set the record straight. The warden then kindly explained the legality of everthing and there was no more questioning. Now I thinking, maybe someone could represent this board and all fishermen that are responsible and talk with a game warden from the area and tell him about how you feel and point him to this forum and let him see how other responsible fishermen feel on the subject. It would atleast get the ball rolling to help all of us that would like to keep this area full of good fishing opportunity's.

/keeping fingers crossed

Ryan

That is a good idea Ryan. I see Res Dog did send something to the DNR, Have you heard back from them yet?

Ok Ok i know most of you will not agree with this but i have fished the silver creek res. three times now this winter. I decided to keep fish one of those times. I kept only five crappies 10-11 1/2 in and two perch I would gess maybe in the 10 in range. When I got them on the cutting board and started to fillet them I immedietly noticed that the meat of all the fish seemed to look a little off. It seemed that instead of the nice pure white fillets im used to they had an almost greyish tint to it, also the viens in all the fish seemed to be much darker then normal. Now im not saying they are not edible but personally I will not keep another fish from there to eat. Has anyone else kept any from there and if so did you notice the same thing.

PS. im all for catch and release but u cant blame anyone for wanting some fresh fish to eat. So please dont blast me with the ethics of keepin a few fish from a small body of water.

Interested to hear about the quality of meat. I think most people are fine with keeping some fish, but to think that someone could walk off that body of water with 10 crappies, 20 bluegills, and 20 perch is just too much. If everyone practiced just keeping "a meal" (for one or two people) the resource would last much longer and would at least have a chance at maintaining the fish population.

FYI I havn't had a reply from the DNR to the e-mail I sent yet. I just fired off another one this mourning and if I have time I might just stop by the Rochester office. I will post as soon as I hear something.

R Dawg.

This is nice to hear. I love the term "responsible fisherman". Its nice to know that everybody in all of these shacks on the ice aren't out there to stock the freezer. I am all for keeping a few for a meal once and a while. I totally agree with "deerfishin". Especially in this town where its hard to find nice fish in the stores. And as we all know nothing beats a slab fresh from the cold water!

It will be interesting to hear from the DNR on this one. We run into this same problem at our lake up north. It is a small lake with no boat launch, therefore the DNR does not stock it or come through and check the numbers and size every few years. I wonder if the same applies for the reservoirs in this area

"What an incredible Cinderella story, this unknown comes outta no where to lead the pack, at Augusta. He's on his final hole, he's about 455 yards away - he's gonna hit about a two-iron I think."……. Carl Spackler laugh.gif