• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

349D report and success

Cheetah

I hunted last weekend in zone 349D, far SE corner of MN. I went down Friday evening and hunted through Sunday afternoon with my brother, dad and a friend (who went Thursday). The turkeys were not very active. The usual owl hooting in the morning produced very few gobbles. In fact, I only had one bird respond both mornings. My brother heard one or two. My friend John (Sutty on the forums here) hunted Friday as well and he hardly saw or heard any birds the entire time, so he went home Sunday morning frustrated… While walking the woods nothing would respond to any sort of calling. The only way we managed to get on birds was to walk near private farm fields bordering the public land and try to spot birds to sneak and call to. All in all, we located very few jakes or toms, most birds seemed to be hens. Afternoon and evening hunting produced almost zero active birds, it was simply a spot and stalk sort of weekend.

The good news is that we did harvest two adult turkeys. I shot mine Sunday morning just after sunrise as he followed his flock of 6 hens and 1 jake to the fields to feed. I had located the flock Saturday, and found them again Sunday early enough that I could setup between them and the field. The hens came in to my decoy, and the gobbler just followed along. I didn't even call to them, was afraid they would spook… He weighed 21lb field-dressed.

My brother shot his bird Sunday afternoon at about 1:30pm after we followed a tip from my dad that he saw a flock in a field relatively near some public land I knew bordered the back side of the farm field. We walked through the woods and just as we got to the field one of the turkeys spotted us. The jake didn't know what to do though and simply putted and walked to the side over a small rise. The rest of the flock, not knowing what was going on, came up over the rise right at us as we stood there in the woods. The lead gobbler walked up and stood between some saplings at 40 yards, and my brother was ready and waiting. His bird weighed 17lb field-dressed.

I'm having trouble attaching photos, so here are some links, hope they work for everyone...

Me: http://upload8.postimage.org/231548/photo_hosting.html

My brother:

http://upload8.postimage.org/231554/photo_hosting.html

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Congrats on a great weekend!

I got your photo to work but your brother's doesn't seem to be available right now.

persistence paid off, great job. My brothers were down there 2 weeks ago and saw a lot of hens also, not many Toms and jakes. They also had very little response to the calls, but I thought maybe they were just really bad callers grin.gif

Cheetah,

I did catch this post yesterday. My hats off to you two for getting two birds on State Land down there. I know theres lots of birds in that area, but good job just as well.

Like I commented earlier, for us it was throw the decoys away and only call to locate a bird on roost. And sometimes that didn't even work.

I finally got mine by cutting off the flock as they were walking away from my brother as he was calling them. They were goin nuts about 100 yards up the hill from my morning setup, but after they pitched down they got quiet pretty quick. It was the first morning the birds didn't go down first! confused.gif

I heard a shot and thought it was him filling his tag so I headed up to locate the birds. As I got to the top, they gobbled a couple times so I could zero in on em again. I wiggled under a cedar just in time for the hens to get there and just waited for the toms to follow.

Just lucky timing, but I'll take it! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

that darn postimage.org site I was using is a bit flakey... sorry. :/

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.