• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Transducer issues !!!!!!!

Jim Panfish Uran

Question

Is there any way to repair a transducer cable? I bought a boat and the transducer line was cut, and it would work sometimes but now it doesn't work at all, I noticed it yesterday and messed around with it and made it worse. It's cut completely now, is there any way to splice them together?

4 answers to this question

Might try an electronics shop. Friend owns a radio installation shop and spliced mine.

Finns.

I live out in the sticks, there is no electronic shops around here bro, I wonder if I can do it at home with tip from someone on this site.

From Lowrance:

Quote:

Cut the cable in a location that will place the splice in a protected area in the vessel. It should not be exposed to rain or spray, nor be allowed to lay in the Bilge or other area which will allow it to be submerged in water. If using a heat shrink insulating material, for either the center conductor connection, shield connection, overall splice, or all of the above, place over the cut ends now.

Carefully strip approximately 1" of the outer insulation or jacket from the ends to be spliced. Unwrap the shield and twist it.

Strip approximately 3/8" of the inner insulation (center conductor) from each end to be spliced. Twist the center conductors of the two ends together, then solder the connection. Use special care to allow full flow of solder without damaging or melting the insulator around the center conductors. This can result in a shorted connection and damage to the sounder. Wrap the solder joint in good quality electrical tape or heat shrink as appropriate.

Twist the shield wires together and solder this connection. Wrap a small piece of Aluminum Foil over the entire splice. Make certain the foil makes a good contact with the shield wires to prevent, reduce, or eliminate electrical noise or interference.

Finally wrap the entire splice with electrical tape or use the Heat shrink material previously installed to completely seal and insulate the splice connection. The transducer is now ready to use.

They strongly suggest a professional does this, but in a pinch, this will work. Hope this helps!

Thanks, that helps alot. It's an older unit that came with the boat so it's this or junk it so why not give it a shot huh? If it doesn't work I'll just fork over some cash and get a new one.