• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Size

SJU70

Is there a minimum boat size that you want to be out on Mille Lacs with? Or is it a question of your cojones? I've been thinking about maybe takeing mine out there sometime, i've been out on Green Bay with it, not that I was comfortable all the time, but I've done it. I've heard that ML can get rough...BTW, its an early 80's 18 foot Lund Alaskan with a 70 horse merc.

18 foot is a big boat. You'll see guys fishing anything and everything out there. The only problem with a smaller boat is that you have to let the weather dictate your fishing! Which sucks! But like my grandpa said....he used to go half way across the lake in his ol 14 foot lund grin.gif Its not the size of the boat that matters...its the size of the fish and the amount of fun you are having. But safety does come first.

SJU70,

Read back a couple of pages. Their was a couple of great threads going about boat size. It all depends on your schooling of boat use on big water. I feel a guy with years of boating has a better chance in a 14' boat out on ML, than a person starting year one with a big boat. It is all about how you handle your self and boat that makes the differnce.

There are alot of 16ft boats (even some 14 footers). You just have to "use common since" as far as the wind goes.

I use to have a Lund Rebel 16 years ago. I could get out alot. Sometimes it just takes longer to get to your spot.

I have n Alumacraft Competitor 185 now and can get out almost all the time. But again, "use common Since". No Walleye is worth risking your safety / life!! There will be other days to get on the water.

We fish out of a 10 year old 16 foot lund explorer w/40 horse...we're usually one of the smaller boats out there but do just fine. Sure we might get blown off the lake when its real bad (like last weekend)...but we really don't want to be out there when its like that anyways...we don't hate the fish that bad...we give them a break.

We'll see everyone out there....good luck to everyone this weekend....we're all in this together so keep your sticks on the ice.

I used to fish it in my 14' for years. Not sure the lake changed just expectations on boats. You would be fine in anything as long as you are resposible. You have a 18' ft boat that is a big boat. Maybe it won't ride as smooth as a deep v but you have more than enough boat to be safe! My 1700 explorer is a dream out there and the previous 16' Crestliner did a great job as well.

DRH gives good advice. I grew up with a Cabin on Mille Lacs and back in the 70's I spent plenty of time in a 14.5' boat on the lake. Those were the days before live wells and with the smaller hp, I can remember lots of times where the fish were actually DRY by the time we got back to the dock. It seemed like "living large" when we graduated up to a 16.5' boat with a "massive" 70 hp motor on it. Back in those days there were not many boats bigger than 17' on the Mille Lacs. Now, whenever this subject comes up I have to laugh at the guys saying things like "minimum 18' required".

Watch the weather, realize the waves can get big, be safe, and have fun.

Better to have "Common sense" than a big boat. I started fishing Mille Lacs in '82 in my friend's classic red 16'Lund with a 25 H.P. Johnson. Back then that was the boat that most people fished out of. This one even had the short transom. We spent lots of hours out on Garrison reef fishing in that boat. Even a 14' is fine if you watch the weather.

I've fished mille lacs out of my lund rebel 16' with a 40 hp in basically all conditions. its all in how you know how to handle it and common sense.

I have a 16ft Alumacraft it works just fine and dandy till the waves hit a about 2.5ft then you start to get wet but I dont travel very far from the cabin in Sunset bay

We're in the same boat! This is my first year on the big pond. What type of wind does it take to get waves up to the 2.5 foot you mentioned? Above the 7-10 mph forcasted for Friday night / Saturday? Thanks, just want to get a picture of what I'll be looking at. Best of luck!

Two and a half foot waves would take more than a 7 to 10 mph wind. That'll just be a nice "Walleye chop".

I have been thinking of taking my boat up there also. I have a triton fs 190 (bass boat style fish and ski). I have fished many times up there, always in somebody elses boat. What am I to expect with this boat? any tips and pointers? Everyone keeps saying "watch the weather". What exactly does this mean? I have never had this boat in "big" waves. (over 3' footers) Any pointers? Also, this boat sits very low in the water at the transom- I get water over the back just from motoring in reverse.

DSC00740.jpg

DSC00736.jpg

I have a 14 ft I love to fish with. I know this boat extemely well. I am considering bringing it to the big pond, I am just going to watch the wind and try to stay within a mile or two of shore. I have a 25 HP merc on this little rig so I am not really concerned with outrunning the weather(gps shows top speed @ 28 mph). And I just put in a new bilge to get rid of that pesky water. I have had big water experience with it, so it looks like I am going to add to that experience. I will post after the weekend to share how it went.

I can't speak for others, but for me "watch the weather" means this:

I have a VHS radio and I check the weather now and then throughout the day. I'll give Monday as an example: I was fishing the north sand but I was based out of the south east. The wind was low through most of the day but it started to howl out of the west/northwest later in the day. I listened to the weather and there was a thunderstorm watch. Nothing scary, no audible thunder in the air and no immediate threatening clouds. But, given the long run back to the SE, the huge waves, and a generally hazy sky, I decided to "call it". I pounded my way all the way to the SE and fished some rocks closer to home rather than take any chance.

That to me, is "watching the weather." I was never in any danger but what if a thunderstorm had snuck up on me through that hazy sky and I had an 18 mile run to make through 4' whitecaps?

This is how I predict the wind.

Mile Lacs Winds

I find it very accurate and very helpful. I hope you guys will find a use for it.

Sparky. My advice is to leave the ski rope at home. I am not sure why they make those silly ski/fish boats. All they are is a ski boat with a trolling motor. Good luck to ya anyways.

I'm headed out sat. in my old 16' sea-nymph. I just got a question about the wind. If the wind's comming from the south at 10 mph, how bigs would that make the waves on the north end?? Im just trying to figure out where to launch from that would be best.

Thanks

Quote:

Sparky. My advice is to leave the ski rope at home. I am not sure why they make those silly ski/fish boats. All they are is a ski boat with a trolling motor. Good luck to ya anyways.

Different boats for different folks, I guess. If you don't like them, don't buy one. It fits my needs almost perfectly. (Lots of bass fishing.)