• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

When otters attack...

Duck hunted in Manitoba a couple years ago. Something was attacking our decoys, like jaws from underneath. It was a River Otter. We laughed until it came on-shore and attacked the golden retriever. Scared it off with a shotgun blast, they're protected.

Next morning, we're setting out decoys; other side of the huge weed point. An otter attacks a decoy. My friend says, "...it's back!" Otter sticks his head up next to me; the only light is on the bill of my cap. I'm in the front of the canoe; the dog is behind me. I hit it with a canoe paddle, but it's still there. I jab it hard and push it under with the paddle tip. It disappears. We paddle backwards, deeper, un-casing a shotgun. Never see it again. A little nervous sending the twelve year-old retreiver after ducks those days.

Since have heard stories of River Otters killing large dogs; grabbing them by the snout and pulling the dog into the water. One attacked a four year-old boy; and a rowing team later. A rabid one attacked a police officer.

Now, I shake my head when I see a "cute, playful otter" wildlife program.

Any mammal that is on the ground and approaching my dog will be shot. Call in dog, leash, shoot.

Wolf attacted Brittany a year or two ago (not mine, story in paper).

My older Brittany was nose to nose with a large coyote in ND last fall. Then they started circling each other.

If I would not have come over the rise, difficult to know what was really about to happen. No opportunity to shoot it....

Skunks will die when opportunity exists.

I shoot all porkies that are on the ground, but not in trees or climbing a tree. Natural selection.

To be honest any skunk, fox, or coon seen during the day and unafraid of man - is either very young and/or more than likely rabid.

I see otters spring and fall, but where I am hunting they run or swim away fast. I would not shoot unless they are coming to us...

I agree. We were ready to. The otter never gave the opportunity for a clear shot the first time, after attacking the dog. We had spread out and the dog was alone by/in the canoe in between us. The second time was before shooting and our guns were still cased. They are Federally protected here. In Canada, who knows what hoops we might have had to jump through if we shot one to protect the dog. Luckily, it didn't work out that way.

We were worried about rabies. The dog yelped, but had no wounds or limps. Must have been surprised.

I know the timberwolf story. Thought it was sad how the hunter was treated initially.

We get otters in the blocks every year on Big Winnie. They go into stealth mode when they see the decoys, submerge and attack from below. It's hilarious to watch but we have never had a problem with the dogs. Any birds down are in jeopardy and we have lost a few to the otters. We lose more to the eagles than the otters. We even had a baldy take a pass at a dog on a retrieve.