• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clemens to pitch for the Yankee's

xedge2002

Just seen that Clemens has agreed to a one year 28M deal with the Yankee's. He was at the Yankee's game today to announce it to the crowd himself and in a press conference afterwards.

This is the only team I didn't want him to play for. He is one of the best pitcher's all time and one player younger kids can look up to for a role model. I just hate the Yankee's and Steinbrenner for how they throw more money at players than any other team can afford, IMO they are helping to ruin baseball.

Good, because now I don't have to hear about it quite so much. It seemed like King Roger's team selection progress was far more drawn out last year. The drama bores me.

$1 million a start for someone who may, may be .500.

If the Yankees and Red Sox keep spending like this they will simply price every other team out of the market.

How many teams can afford to pay a guy $28 million for one season? Thats almost half of the Twins entire pay roll for the year.

It is not good for baseball for two teams to go out and buy all the stars in the game. How long until Poujols (sp?), Santana, Bonds, Vlad., and the other stars are wearing pin strips?

Bullhead read nofish's post and that is exactly how I feel. They are attempting to turn baseball into a league where only teams that can afford to spend 150 million or more a year can compete. Not much fun watching a two team league.

I wonder how much money a pitch that will break down to. Thats just nuts!

You would think the way the Red Sox and Yanks spend money that they would win the WS every year but thats just not the case. Theres always going to be other teams with more chemistry and more heart that can win it too.

Money cap, is the only answer. But I dont see it changing since it wont bennifit the yankees in any way!

Its far from a two team league. Look at the who's won the World Series the last 5-6 years. They yankees will drwa 4 MILLION fans at home each year.. They also sell out or close for road games. They make LOTS of $$$ for the league. Its basic econimics people! Make more money then you can spend more. If you can't see that. Theres not much else I can say.

You are right in one way, money cant buy a championship, but it can put you towards the top every year. Wouldnt the game be a lot more fun to watch if a kansas city, or a toronto, or a tampa bay, or whoever could allso contend. But due to there is no salary cap, it doesnt happen. Then if one of the low market teams do happen to do good, all there star players get lured away by big $$ from yankees, or bosox. Now there are some exceptions, twins tend to compete, and oakland, but that has to do with drafting talent. Do you think tampa bay likes to be in the same league as the yankees, and boston. What about toronto, will they ever win the division? I for one dont like paying $20 or more to go and watch a twins game. The ticket prices are only go up more and more because of these ridicules contracts. Can you tell me anyone actually deserves $28m a year? Lets break that down, just to use simple math we will say he will start 28 games. $1,000,000 per start, lets say he averages 100 pitches per game, Thats $10,000 per pitch!

Oh ya,

some of these low market teams would draw more fans also if they could compete. But who wants to go to watch a team that you know will never be a contender! Its hard to ever follow your team, when you know they wont stand a chance!

4wanderingeyes,

You made some valid points. I agree for the casual fan probably is not going to go see the royals, pirates, tampa bay etc. Go play on a regular basis. Small market teams can compete though. Its been done consistently by the Braves, Twins, Angels, A's. They do fork out a good amount of change though.

They NFL and NBA both have salarie caps. NFL remains pretty competive. The NBA is horrible though, basically the same teams year after year.

this is just a question, does the NBA have a hard cap or do they have a cap and penalize if you go over?

I know the NFL has a hard cap - I think that is the way to go, you get X million to spend for the team and that's it. It always seems like teams may be bad for a few years but can rebuild themselves to be competetive within a few years...unless Matt Millen is your GM.

I'm not sure about BB. I think they can go over and have to pay a luxury tax.

"some of these low market teams would draw more fans also if they could compete. But who wants to go to watch a team that you know will never be a contender! Its hard to ever follow your team, when you know they wont stand a chance!"

Exactly! Look at the D-Rays for an example. Just loaded with young position player talent, half a starting rotation and a twenty dollar bullpen. Many of their offensive stars will mature into above average players IMO. And then they will sign with the top ten payrolls in the league. They are effectively nothing but a farm team for the rest of the league. It's actually a bit past the Yanks and BOSOX. I don't have figures to wuote, but I believe the teams from Chicago are headed to payroll stupidness as well. (or already there?)

Rk Team Payroll (US$)

1 Yankees $189,639,045

2 Red Sox $143,026,214

3 Mets $115,231,663

4 Angels $109,631,333

5 White Sox $108,671,833

6 Dodgers $108,454,524

7 Mariners $106,460,833

8 Cubs $99,670,332

9 Tigers $95,180,369

10 Orioles $93,554,808

11 Cardinals $90,286,823

12 Giants $90,219,056

13 Phillies $89,428,213

14 Astros $87,559,000

15 Braves $86,880,833

16 Blue Jays $81,942,800

17 Athletics $80,199,440

18 Twins $71,439,500

19 Brewers $70,986,500

20 Reds $68,522,480

21 Rangers $68,318,675

22 Royals $67,116,500

23 Indians $61,673,267

24 Padres $58,110,567

25 Rockies $54,424,000

26 Diamondbacks $51,686,546

27 Pirates $38,537,833

28 Nationals $37,307,500

29 Marlins $30,507,000

30 Devil Rays $24,123,500

Statistical Information provided by:

We have an owner that could spend as much as any in the league. We only needed 1 or 2 power hitters the last 4 years to win a ring. He didn't do it, now we are stuck with a bunch of punch and judy's and our window has past.

Quote:

We have an owner that could spend as much as any in the league. We only needed 1 or 2 power hitters the last 4 years to win a ring. He didn't do it, now we are stuck with a bunch of punch and judy's and our window has past.

Finally someone speaking the truth about the Twins. The Polad family has enough money to get any player they want and to have any team they so choose. The big talk about not being able to afford to keep Hunter is a farce. I can't believe the tax payers paying for their new stadium are putting up with it. That family could build 5 stadiums and put little more then a dent in their pockets. But what do you expect from a family who made their fortune foreclosing on farmers in the great depression.

As far as Clemens getting his money so be it. 7 Cy Youngs and one can argue one of the best pitchers of all time. In the league since 84, never once in trouble with the law, a real role model for youngsters.

The possibility of Clemens being at or below .500 is terrible odds on the yankees. If someone is willing to give me 1 to 1 odds on that I'll take you bet as long as he is healthy. His era in 2006 was 2.30 and in 2005 was 1.87. The Yankees are averaging something like 5-6 runs a game. It seemed like everytime he lost on the astros the score was like 1-0 or 2-1. He just didn't have any run support or in 2005 he would have had his eighth Cy Young. If Clemens played for the Twins I would be a season ticket holder.

Sure they have the money to pay a few great guys, but it is a business. They want to make money too. They are not in it to lose money. Remember back a few years ago when they couldnt make a dime and they were going to be retracted?

I for one love the fact that they make the nonames work and are able to compete with out the egos of the big money makers, like the rest of the good teams. Maybe Clemens doesnt have the biggest ego, but the rest of the big money makers do. Look at the crowd at a Yankee's, White Sox, Red Sox, they have most of the seats filled every game. Twins last night had 15000 to 20000.

Now I am not saying I dont want them to try and pay Cytana and Hunter, I would love to see them stay, but if you cant pay them what can you do. We might have to rely on our farm system. If I made enough money I would be a season ticket holder, but for now I will watch them beat the money makers from home.

Slot, not many out there that agree with me, thanks. for you twin fans and I am one of them, When we continue to come up a little short,game by game season by season, remember this post. This philosophy that we have to be a small market team is hogwash.

I'm not saying they need to go spend big dollars on every free agent out there. But they could at least keep our own home grown guys around. Once this new stadium is built they better start changing their ways or they are really going to have some P.O. people.

Quote:

Sure they have the money to pay a few great guys, but it is a business. They want to make money too. They are not in it to lose money. Remember back a few years ago when they couldnt make a dime and they were going to be retracted?

The reason they supposedly couldn't make a dime IMO is because the family has lived to long with having money. The saying is so true these days. Grandpa starts the business, his son takes over and makes a fortune, his son ends up going broke. The Polad family needs to sell to a "Mark Cuban" type guy. Now he isn't everyone favorite, but you have to admit he knows how to promote and make something from nothing. Someone who cares about winning and not just the bottom line. The Twins management is so fantastic just look what they give us every year. It's amazing it's lasted as long as it has. The talent they continue to produce year after year is great. Now if they had a owner who would let the reigns go a little.

The way owners make their money in the long run is on a new stadium. Get the stadium and sell, please.