• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any sign of hatches

Early this after noon I was down by our pond on the back forty going over a bid for some dirt work. Out in the middle of the pond was a pair of geese and about 7-8 little ones. I went back a little further to the other pond and seen another pair with 6 in tow. The malards were still on their nest and last time I checked all three of the woodie houses were being used. I don't duck hunt much but might give it a try if all the construction doesn't scare them off this summer.

CW

well that is a good sign! I have seen several birds on nests down in SW minnesota.

Around the cities here i have seen goslings around a few different ponds. Havent seen any ducklings yet

plenty of goslings around silver lake in roch, most that i seen are in large haches too, most goose couples had 8-10 little ones, didnt see any ducklings yet though

Saw a couple sets of Mallard young last weekend in Savage.

Lotsa ducklings, goslings, and ducks on nests here in the prairie.

Wood ducks are in both houses (one at my folk'S). I haven't bothered them. I put mine up last year. A woodie was on it within an hour.

Just south of Hooterville yesterday I saw a pair of geese with a bunch of fuzz balls following them. First that I have seen this year! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

On Tuesday the 8th I seen a bunch of gooslings swimming with their parents around the St. Francis area.

Saw a family of geese and little yellow puffs swimming in Lake Minnetonka last Thursday. Saw some in White Bear this week. No ducks yet.

On the way to work along Larpendeur Ave. in Saint Paul I had to stop traffic with my car to let a Mallard hen and 13 little ones cross the road.

We've had a batch of young geese on our pond in Minnetonka for several days now. Yesterday morning, I watched a Mallard hen lead her five babies to the pond for the first time. Today at noon, as I watched them feed on shore, a hawk dropped out of the tree and carried one off and sat on a tree limb with it. As the hen and the remaining four rushed to the water, the hawk tore the one up and ate it. Nature can be rough.

lots of pairings around Woodbury area. Seen at least 5 pairs with goslings, most of them with 4-6 and one pair with 13. But many more ponds and areas I have no checked out.

Two days ago I saw a Merganser with six puppies and today I saw the first Wood Duck ducklings. I've had eight Woodies sitting on the pond for the last few mornings and seven of them were drakes. Those hens have to be setting somewhere.

Saw several gosling broods last week and the first mallard brood over the weekend in the Minnetonka area.

My little girl and I walked around the block yesterday after lunch. I saw 2 broods of mallards: one had 4, the other more than a dozen!

• 3 weeks later...

I was in SE North Dakota last week and they got 13" of rain in last two weeks. The potholes are full in the Coteau regions of South and North Dakota. Lot's like conditions for a banner hatch this spring. We found one duck nest in a strip of CRP trees that was a long ways from water. Amazing.