• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

battery

smilee_54

Question

hey guys I have a question I want to put a battery in my boat I have the plastic box Does the box have to be secured down. If it does I am trying to figure out a spot on a old 73 lund thanks in advance

9 answers to this question

Yes, It should be secured. If you have a flat floor just screw the tie downs down in a good spot and tie it down. If you just have the boat bottom, I'd just leave it sit.

yea I just have the bottom of the boat. I was just wondering if there would be any legal issues with it

I dont secure mine but I do have cutouts in the floor my batteries dont move.I use the plastic boxes to carry my batteries no acid burnt clothes.

my battery is sitting on the floor in my runabout is it illegal not to have it in a battery box? its in a corner and doesnt move an inch where it is at now confused.gif

I'm not aware of any laws regarding whether you need to have your batteries tied down. It's just a common sense thing. If posible tie them down. It could save you some $$ and a few headaches someday.

We got pinched (by a knob of a warden, I must say) in the Port Washington harbor for not having the battery secered/terminals covered. He cited some federal law...Lake MI is coast gaurd waters, so I don't know about inland. Plus, it's WI, so there ya go...:)

I got checked on Pool 4 below the dam several years ago and the CO said the terminals need to be covered. I had my batteries in a box with covers. The batteries weren't in a compartment so if I didn't have them covered something could fall and connect the posts. I don't think I want to see the results of that. shocked.gif

i do have a battery box. I just really don't have any place to secure it to. I could screw it into the bech seat but I don't like to do that. If I must I will do that thanks guys for your responses

There has been a crackdown on battery's and battery compartments.

You are going to want to secure them anyway to avoid any problems like melting your boat or starting a FIRE.

Plus the less your battery bounces around the longer it will last.