• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nothing here yet. I hope to get my boat in the water on Monday and will give a report if I do.

Cliff

Last weekend I was reading 45-48 degrees in Portage Bay.

Great news! laugh.gif That will put the water temps at opener at around 50 degrees which will really get the walleyes in a feeding mode! grin.gif

Cliff

Had the new fire boat out to a cabin fire At Vermilion Dam Lodge late last night. Had 51 degrees at the river. Didn't pay any attention on the way up or the way back as it was so black and so nasty that we were to busy navigating.

Hey, Shamrock7,

Can you give any inferior on what caused the fire? I wouldn't think they'd be rented out any yet.

Also how do you navigate the fire boat-eyesight, GPS or a combo of both? Must be fun going thought by Timbuktu with out buoy marks out yet.

StillFishin'

No idea on cause. I got lucky and spent most of the time in the heated cab running the pump. Made my son, BEEGONE, run the hose. Actually, I think he wanted it that way. More exciting.

The boat has GPS with a Lakemaster chip in it so it has the marker buoys positioned so you can barrel thru the narrows without having the buoys in place. We also have Radar that overlays on the GPS page so you can see the shore and make sure it is where the GPS says it is. It also is invaluable seeing those that have so little common sense that they run without their lights on. (I know everyone has done it, still doesn't make it smart) AND they make the newer style stern lights that cause very little glare.

Nothing is worse than no moon and rain. Wet windshields really bring out every little bit of glare.

Everyone is welcome to stop over and introduce themselves and take a look at the new boat.

It looked like the fire started either on the deck or in the front corner of the cabin. By the looks of the appliances left after the fire was put out, I am guessing it was the kitchen area. They haven’t had any guests in the cabins yet this year. If I remember correctly, the owner said they had just put the charcoal grill on the deck the day of the fire, in the area in which the fire started.

Evidently that same cabin had burned down 7 years ago to the day of this fire.

Twas a late night!

The warm boat was nice to ride back in after being soaked!

Hows the water level? In the Duluth News Tribune today it said that vermilion is near normal water level.

The water level is still around 1 foot low from normal.

Cliff

I finally got out on the lake today for a test run and a little scouting.

The water temp. in Pike Bay averaged 67 degrees at noon today! Big Bay was between 54 and 62 degrees at noon.

Found walleyes in every spot I checked in water 20 to 36 feet deep.

Looks like a very good opener comming up! laugh.gif

Cliff

Find any walleyes in Pike Bay? Dont wanna have to go out in Big Bay and work for em.

I did not check Pike Bay for walleyes. To hard to see them in the shallow water.

With the present water temps in the bay I think the fishing there will be great this spring!

Cliff

Thats good news. Is the bay warmer than last year at this time or colder. Ive never even paid attention to the water temps in pike bay early in the year even though i have opened up in pike bay since i was old enough to fish.

Last year Pike Bay was only 47 to 50 degrees on opener.

Cliff

67 degrees does seem pretty high to me for this early in the year. Is that around normal? As long as the fish are there though it doesnt matter to me. grin.gif

These readings were taken at noon on a hot ,(85 degrees), calm day.

Cliff

Looks like the water may be a little cooler this weekend as the forecast says we will have more seasonable low 60's temps. Thanks for keeping me updated on the water temp Cliff. Maybe ill see you out there. Heading up tommorow mid afternoon so this will be my last post until monday night.