• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bad gas ? real bad........

KIDROCK

My lab is 12 years old and is really starting to show her age. She has always had "free" run of the house while I am at work, but the last couple months I am forced to kennel her up in the basement due to frequent accidents. I have somewhat controlled the "serious" accidents (an occational one or two still happen) but she has this farting problem that is tremendously stinky and sometimes messy. Is there any meds. one can give the old girl to curb the flatulance ? I can tell she just has no control, I am just trying to keep her as happy as I can, I owe her that much, she's been a hell of a dog. Sorry such a long post, any ideas ? thank you in advance for any advise you care to share.

I know exactly what you are talking about. My lab is 10 and just this winter out of the blue he started having gas that just lingered and could clear out a room with no problem. I looked into some beano for dogs and was told to try changing my food first. I had fed him diamond his whole life and had no problem. I went to the pet store and found PURINA PRO PLAN, which has chicken as its first ingrediant. It is usually on sale and is still about $7 more per bag than the Diamond.

I started by mixing the 2 together to let him get used to it, but he would just pick the new stuff out and leave the diamond in the bottom of the dish. When i started feeding it to him, the gas was gone within the next couple of days. i have not had any problems since, and i have gone through 2 + bags already

If i were you i would first try changing his food and go from there. IF that doesnt work there are dog beanos, and i talked with a vet student who mentioned something like "curtail" (dont know how to spell it) but i could not find it at the pet store.

Just change the food and good luck.

Thanks ! I too feed Pro-plan. Actually, I have her on the sensitive system food. I have switched her back and forth, too and from and back again, as this has been going on since early last winter and the sensitive system food doesn't fix the gas, but does keep it gas(if you know what I mean)which is more than I can say about the senior formulas and other bland, foods (some are quite expensive)I just have NO idea ? I was thinking maybe Beano or something, I have a real good feeling it is just "what happens" when these old dogs get towards the end of line ?