• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Premium Fuel

Gator Slayer

Looking at buying a new boat and the dealer is really pushing a fuel injected motor because they won't varnish or gum up. I've always used premium gas to prevent that and he says that I shouldn't use premium gas in a small motor. Is this true? He said it burns too hot. Are they that particular? Appreciate the insight.

Nothing wrong with using the premium. I also used it in my carbed engine not because I was after the higher octane, but rather that I prefer to not use ethanol based fuel in my seasonal engines. Not all premium is non-oxy though....just those with the little sticker on the pumps that state that it's non-oxy.

My new boat has a 4-stroke and there is nothing in the owner's manual that says NOT to use premium. It also states not to use gas which contains ethanol in excess of 20% I believe. I know the regular pumps aren't 20% ethanol, but I figure 0% is better than any if they don't want 20% in it. Must be a reason they don't like it and I have to agree. wink.gif

He may be pushing the injected engine just so you fork out more cash. Are there even any carbed engines available these days? I thought they were all fuel-injection now.

edit: I looked at the manual for my Yamaha and they actually say no more than 10% ethanol! So what's everyone going to do in a few years since the state mandated 12% without actually doing any research on what engines can run? I hope they still have non-oxy available or I'll be sending my repair bill into the governor's office. Another "feel good" bill from our boys and girls in St. Paul. frown.gif

I use premium non-oxy in all my small engine stuff. Snowblower, weed whip, chainsaw, ice auger, log splitter, garden tractor, leaf blower, Atv and I use it in my I/O. I have not had any issues in 5 + years.

The fuels with ethanol do alot of damaage to all the rubber seals and such in the small engine carbs IMO. I think its because they for one are not run every day and the fuel sits in the carbs for much longer periods of time than your car or truck. Just my .02 cents I used to do a lot of carb jobs when I was a small engine mechanic most the time the damage was done when the equipment sat during the off season.

Quote:

Looking at buying a new boat and the dealer is really pushing a fuel injected motor because they won't varnish or gum up. I've always used premium gas to prevent that and he says that I shouldn't use premium gas in a small motor. Is this true? He said it burns too hot. Are they that particular? Appreciate the insight.

To state it in the most basic way, octane is the measurement of a fuels flashpoint. The tempature, or tempature range in which the fuel ignites. The higher the octane, the higher the flashpoint. Octane and compression go hand in hand becouse the more compression there is, the more resistance to preignition or detonation you need. Compression naturally creates heat, which in turn, raises the tempature of the combustion chamber. So, when in doubt, use higher octane fuel. The worse that can happen is your wasting a few cents per gallon becouse the higher octane is not needed. On the other hand, if you don't use the higher octane fuel when it is needed, catastrophic engine failure could result. Best thing to do is look up in the owners manual what fuel is required. Personally, I run non-oxygenated (no ethanol added) premium fuel in every small engine I have, excluding my garden tractor. Boat motors, chain saws, weed trimmer, pressure washer, snowmobiles, ect...

I can tell you.. use NON-ethanol (non-oxy) fuel! (For sure true for 2 stroke motors and other small motors... and probably a certainty for all motors with carburetors... not sure about fuel injected etc... probably doesn't matter as much... but certainly wouldn't hurt!)

That 10+% "ethanol added" fuels KILL many boat motors.. (clogs them up)... my brand new 2004 Johnson 15hp 2 stroke was totally gummed up and dead in just 3 years. After cleaning.. I switched to pure non-oxy gas. Can't say yet.. but I doubt I will have any gumming problems now!

The guy who fixed it (a really knowledgeable outboard pro) told me this was from the crappy ethanol fuels sold everywhere these days. AND.. I had even disconnected the hose and let the engine die out after each day out... it didn't help!

Now I only use pure gas.. and yes.. there aren't too many stations that sell it.. but there happens to be one near my house in Maplewood (Just south of Hwy 36 on White Bear Ave)... the pumps have the sticker.

There is a website that lists all the area stations that sell non-oxy gas.. I don't know it offhand.. but someone will.. or you can google it!

The BP Amoco in Stacy right off I-35 has 92 Octane, 100% Gasoline.

Keep that Ethanol out of your engines! smile.gif

Maybe we should start posting which stations around the metro have pure gas so people know where to get it when they are out and about. I only know of the Fleet Farm in Lakeville.

Use the premium fuel!

Every engine mechanic that I have talked to said that premium non-oxygenated fuel is the only fuel that should be used!

Cliff

I used to buy it at the old Phillips station on 17th & Como down by the U. They quit carrying it a while back. Anyone know a place to get non-oxy fuel between the U and the New Brighton area?

Thanks D, It was not working out real well for me to get it up on the forum. I use non oxy in my collector cars so I had the list.

thanks again

Lynn J

Quote:

Quote:

Here's that list:

Cool thanks for the list. The boy wants to know how big that fish is in your avatar?

It was 60" and approx 50-55lbs

I have a 1999 Honda 4-stroke (75hp) boat motor that is carb..not EFI. I would strongly suggest following the owner’s manual on what gas is recommend for use. I just got mine back from the repair shop due to gas related carb problems...and it ran me 800.00 for repair cost. (I had them fix a broken gas gauge as well....so who knows what the total carb re-build cost). Spending a few more cents at the gas pump can save you a big lump of cash in the long run.

Cliffy

PS: So, if I understand this correctly, most use non-oxy gas in small engines..such as lawn mowers..etc. Do many of you use it in your larger engines such as 4-stroke boat motors..either carb or efi?

I use the cheap stuff in everything! lawnmower is going on 6 years. Forgot to winterize it last fall. Popped right off. The boat I use the cheap stuff all summer, I do however fill the tanks with premium and add seafoam and run a little through the carbs, Then let it run dry before I put it away for the winter!

The thing that will help more than using premium is to stabalize any fuel that doesn't get used on a regular basis. Seafoam is a great 4 in one product for this. Also any equipment that sits dormant for an extended period should have the carbs run dry, have the fuel stabalized, and stored with a full tank to reduce the chance for moisture buildup! Do this with all your engines and your chances of failure greatly decrease!!

Another thing to consider is to get fuel that is somewhat fresh i ran into some trouble getting high octane real gas and I ran into alot of trouble i think it was real old It was a small station . after that I tryed real gas a few times and I didn't see any difference i also put a little seafoam in my tanks every once in a while and I have never had any problems with using any kind of gas i think they push the high octane thing to much in my opinion it is a waste of money .

Just about every engine can run the 10% ethanol blend right now. I do not know what year the switch was made for each company, but you will not void your warranty by running the 10% blend oxygenated fuels. The biggest issue is basic maintenance, and storing your motors properly.

Mid-70's Evenrude, weed whacker, 2 lawn mowers, 70 Johnson VRO, gas auger, 2 chain saws, 38 John Deer "A", 72 Dodge RV, 93 Grand am, 92 Grand Am, 2000 Olds bravada....They all get the same gas. The gas they get is the cheapest stuff at the pump. Normally 87 octane with 10% ethanol. No problems yet. More than likely there will be no problems, either.

As I was reading this I thought there was no need to post. I kept reading and it seems to be heading towards using the cheap gas. As an Intructor in the Marine and Small Engine field, I can tell you if you use the cheap gas with ethynol in it you will be keeping my graduates in business cleaning your carbs. All small engines should have non-oxygenated fuel. If you insist on buying the cheap stuff for your lawnmowers, etc., put some STabil in it. But don't use it in your expensive motors Period.

Are you sure about that? The older formulations - from 10 years ago would have been that way, but not now. You are perpetuating one of the biggest myths about ethanol. Briggs & Stratton, Honda, Toro/Lawnboy, Kohler, and Snapper all approve the use of E10 Unleaded fuel in their equipment.

Not trying to start an arguement here, but I gotta disagree with that one.

I've been using the cheap stuff for many many many many years in a whole lotta engines. The only time I ever had a carb problem was with a 99 Yamaha XTC 700 snowmobile and it was completely my fault. It sat 3 years. It doesn't matter what fuel blend was in it, it would have gummed. I agree oxy fuel will evaporate out faster but that does not mean it should'nt be used.

Almost all my engines are recommended to run on 87 octane, and I have absolutely no problems using it. Since 87 is ethanol blend in MN, most of the engines are designed for the blend anyways. I've put premium in some motors, like my high performance snowmobiles, and they simply do not run well at all. Since they were designed to run 87, 92 octane will not combust as well.

But, I do agree to someone's post to use Stabil and Sea Foam additives during storage. Additives should always be used if the engine sits for extended periods of time.

In order for products like Stabil or Seafoam to work (stabalize fuel) they need fresh gas. So add the stabalizer product of your choice WHEN you buy the gas. Adding a stabalizer to old fuel is just throwing money away.

I'm with you on that, fishinchicks and boilerguy. I have been using 87 octane ethanol blend since it appeared. My chainsaw is the same Stihl 032 I used professionally throughout the 1980s. I don't use it much any more but have been using the same gallon of fuel mixed in an old anti-freeze jug for the past five years or more and it still starts on the third or fourth pull. Not bad for a motor with the hours this one has and five-year-old fuel. I have never used stabilizer in any of my engines until recently when I thought I'd give it a try in my ice auger. I never fog my engines, never use stabilizer, never run my carbs dry, never worry about topping off the fuel tanks, whatever. I just pull the batteries and park it. I take my boat to the lake opening day and it has never failed to start. My lawn mowers start as if they have been recently started.

From my experience, these additives are nothing more than hype to sell products.

Bob

Using 87 is fine with me...although I usually run Premium (unless stated in the owners manual) on my higher performance engines (motorcycle/snowmobiles). Mainly because I have moded them for more performance which 87 can then cause some real issues (mainly the sled)!!

Quote:

I never fog my engines, never use stabilizer, never run my carbs dry, never worry about topping off the fuel tanks, whatever.

From my experience, these additives are nothing more than hype to sell products.

Bob

I will disagree with these additives (Seafoam) being more than hype to sell products.

I hope you don't own a snowmobile (eg...you never fog your engines).....or at least I would not want to purchase one you owned. I am fine with not fogging an engine if you are starting it every few weeks and running it to operating temperature.

Basically, will your engine run if you don't do any of these things....most likely. Could you be negatively affect your engine.....yep! Internal moisture causes corrosion, and engines don't take to that very well. But they will still run until a bearing or something gets to that point.

Quote:

In order for products like Stabil or Seafoam to work (stabalize fuel) they need fresh gas. So add the stabalizer product of your choice WHEN you buy the gas. Adding a stabalizer to old fuel is just throwing money away.

Good point dinkadunk! Stabalizers preserve fuel, they do not restore it.

I can understand your concerns but consider this. I bought my chainsaw in 1983 and used professionally for the next three years. In an average month I put more running time on that engine under far worse conditions than most anyone else does probably in their lifetime cutting firewood and the like. The saw has been virtually unused since about 1990 when I quit using my wood furnace. Maybe I'll find a use for it for an hour or so once a year at best, if a storm takes a tree down in my yard otherwise it sits around collecting dust. It is stored inside an unheated building so it is exposed to temperature swings from winter to summer along with the changes in humidity. I think I gave it a carb job once while I was still logging but otherwise it has never been touched.

The ice auger that I replaced with a new one a couple years ago was an old Ice King 3hp dating back to the early 80s as well and it too was never touched. I replaced it because it fell off my trailer at 55mph and it didn't like that very much. smile.gif

I admit that I have owned snowmobiles but they were pre-ethanol and at that time to use ethanol would not have been good because the materials used in the carbs were not compatable. But that said, those engines were treated the same way.

My dad used to keep his boat outside year-round and never took precautions to stabilize fuel, fog, or otherwise. I'm not even sure these were available back then. He too, never experienced any problems with fuel jelling, engine performance, etc.

One more thought. My 1998 90hp Johnson 2-stoke outboard will troll my Sylvan Adventurer 1600 down to 2.5mph in forward gear. Two-stoke engines will not idle down well if they lose compression or begin to wear too much and mine appears to do just fine I'd say.

My 14hp Briggs motor on my lawn mower was purchased new in 2000 and I mow nearly 2 acres at least twice a week during peak growing. I put the battery in it this spring, pulled the choke, hit the key, and I don't think it turned over center twice and it was running. They just don't start that well after sitting for 6 months if they aren't in good condition.

If my lack of treatment is causing significant issue with my engines, it hasn't shown up yet. Seems that what I own wouldn't be worth much to sell anyway since most of it is old so I feel I've got my money's worth out of them and in fact saved a bunch by not wasting it on all the additive junk. grin.gif

Doesn't mean these additives aren't good products. I will use injector cleaners on occasion, maybe once a year in my gas car or diesel truck but that's about it.

I'll never forget when I bought my M International tractor I was told that I should use a lead substitute because the engine was from 1946. I was buying a lead substitute for $3.50 a quart back in 1992. One day I happened to look at the ingredients. There was one ingredient listed....kerosene. I was paying $3.50/qt for kerosene when I could have been buying it for $1.40 per gallon from the local service station. What a scam! Being that kerosene is really just a highly refined diesel fuel I began to use 1 oz. of diesel fuel per 5 gallons gasoline and my tractor has been performing just fine. I will say that when I forget to add the diesel, the needle valve in the carb will stick on occasion if I am working the tractor heavy but just add that little bit of diesel and I'm back in business. That engine still does not use excess oil and is able to start unaided down to zero degrees F.

Just my experience though. Maybe others aren't so lucky.

Bob

I also don't wish to argue. I guarantee that since the addition of ethanol in Minnesota the amount of carburetor work has gone up drastically. I'm not saying this is bad, technicians need to eat too. If you talk to any reputable knowledgeable technician they will tell you exactly the same thing. I also have a leaf blower that I don't care about and use whatever fuel is sitting around and it always manages to start, but this is pure luck. I am also not saying your motor won't run on oxygenated gas, but the gas will go bad extremely fast.(In as little as two weeks in some conditions) This will be my last post on this topic so don't be all up in arms. If you chose not to believe it that is fine. wink.gif