• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Using/attaching Fireline

stoneeyes317

Question

I have read somewhere here that using a mono backing, or taping a reel before attaching fireline helps with the operation of your drag. I would prefer not using a mono backing, so what type of tape and how much should I use on my spinning reel?? I bought some fireline crystal last week @ Cabelas and I'd like to get it on before next weekend. Any advice is greatly appreciated...

eyes317

21 answers to this question

The use of mono backing or tape is to prevent superlines from slipping on the spool. I've had to handline a big fish in before because of this and it's not fun. I use mono for backing and I just use enough for a layer or two then use a double Uni Knot to join the lines. You won't lose any sensitivity and I trust the mono backing more than tape.

Thanks for the info gunflint:)

Electrical tape will work also just cut it in half length wise and rap it accordingly.

Gunflints method is the prefered way but the tape will work also.

Stone- you may want to use the mono. backer. The thinner diam. to lb. test means you can put 125 yds on an average spinning spool. that gets kinda spendy. I use enough mono backing to get 2 fills per pack. Thats just for pannies and walleye. don't forget to use a palomar knot for hooks and jigs.

Dan

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I use a cheap mono backer as well. Whether it be for a braid or mono the backer fills the dead space that you wouldn't let your spool get to before respooling. That method uses half the amount of "good" line.

I put a layer of electrical tape around the spool before spooling the superline on. The tape gives the line something to "grip" otherwise it will always spin around the spool.

After the tape is on, I'll tie my line on, wrap it around the spool once, and than wrap tape around it again so the line is essentially taped down. Not sure if its necessary but it gives me comfort.

I do this on all my reels, from my smallest ice fishing reels to my Garcia 7000 baitcasters.

I think everyone learns this lesson the hard way once. smile.gif

good idea hanson, alittle personal reassurance!

Does anyone tie a mono leader from the fireline to their jigs or just a palmer knot directly to the jig?

sure do I use a Uni-Uni or small swivel to connect the two.

I use silicone tape (found in the electrical section of any hardware store) around all the spools I use fireline on. This stuff sticks to itself and has no adhesive that can leave sticky goo all over.

I will lose at least 3 rapalas and 50 some odd yards of line on the opener. I spool it all on so I don't have to respool in the boat.

I tie a polymer knot directly to jigs and use a snap swivel when using raps.

i just use a palomar straight to the jig. straightened a couple jigs on just 6 or 8 lb (forgot what i have) fire line

Thanks to all who replied; I think I will try a combo of Hanson's and Airjer's suggestions and find some silicone tape, and then tape down the line after i've tied it to the spool. I am also thinking of adding a small barrel swivel @ the end of the fireline and then tying a 4'-6' section of flourocarbon "leader" on before I ty on my jig. This is the first year I will get a chance to (I hope) do some serious jig fishing, now that my son is going on 2, and I might get started opener weekend @ Shetek.

Thanks again everyone...

eyes317

For the length of mono don't go too long or the swivel will be going through the tip line guide. A pain in the butt when you're casting or vertical jigging.

Thanks for the thought Hookmaster; I had actually thought of it, that's why I gave a range from 4'-6'. I wasn't sure at the time if my rod was 6' or 6'6". It is nice to get first hand confirmation though...

eyes317

I start with as long as I can without hitting the top eye which allows for a few reties from bite-offs or tooth abraisosn before I have to retie the whole leader.

Quote:

For the length of mono don't go too long or the swivel will be going through the tip line guide. A pain in the butt when you're casting or vertical jigging.

I'm sure we have all heard the saying "the chain is only as strong as the weakest link". I wonder where that weakest link is when you add mono or flor or any other lines to the end of fireline. If your going to do this IMO you might as well save $10 and spool the whole thing with mono. I never do this for anything I use. I jig all the time with fireline smoke and now will use crystal. I use smoke to make all my lindy rigs and now will use crystal. To me it would be like going to spend the money on a nice new cable winch for the ATV and putting 4' of twine string on the end.

slotlimit, on certain clear water lakes I fish the mono or fluorocarbon leader can make all the difference in getting bit or not. And yes, I have tied the super line directly to the jig.

Quote:

slotlimit, on certain clear water lakes I fish the mono or fluorocarbon leader can make all the difference in getting bit or not. And yes, I have tied the super line directly to the jig.

Also you don't lose the feel of the braid... best of both worlds.

Here (around Faribault/Mankato) I'm not really sure I need a leader, but I've got a trip to Alexandria @ the end of the month, 2 trips to the Ottertail/Dent area, and a buddy whos parents have a cabin north of Grand Marais. I believe there are times when a less visible leader does equate into more bites, so that's why I will be adding it...

eyes317

stoneeyes: using a fluorocarbon leader on super braid is a good tech. on clear water lakes. I truly believe it up's you bite ratio. I would loose the swivel and tie a back-to-back uni-knot. This way you will not break the tip guide or reel the swivel thru the guide. smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Also you don't lose the feel of the braid... best of both worlds.

Not sure how it can be the best of both worlds??? Mono is the weakest link so it doesn't help you there.

As far as fishing clear lakes. I fish green lake in kandiyohi co.....the same lake that the cities gets their ice from for those ice castles because it is so clear. I never use mono or fluorocarbon and catch plenty of fish. Now that Fireline has crystal it seems even more rediculous to add that weak link to the chain.