• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Northernaire Houseboats

Going up to Rainy June 9th-16th. Never been there before, any info of any kind would be great. Going up with 8 guys renting a houseboat and bringing three other boats with. What do the eyes like to slam up there? Wheres it best to set up( HouseBoat that is). Don't want to spend to much time moving the rig around, rather be fishing and drinking. Any info guys sure would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi Ram,

First off great choice heading to Rainy for a little R&R, and also catching some fish. Rainy is truly a great fishery, and the scenery is flat out breathtaking. Most all of us have favorite fishing techniques, and quite honestly most can be fine tuned ever so slightly to be extremely effective. I would say the walleye searching is far more important than the actuall technique used in catching them. That being said jig and minnow combinations, spinner rigs, slip bobbers, raps... all can have an upper hand on the other given the particular mood of the fish upon your trip. Weather conditions often time will play a big role in the mood of the fish. This will often dictate to you what you need to use. I would focus energy on first breaks into deeper haunts, moving water, and extensive searching per electronics. Electronics are the single most important piece of technology available in my opinion. Although this is a world class fishery this lake still humbles many of good fisherman each year. I've often felt If I had a pocket full of jigs I could catch most any fish in any mood. Gold tends to be a good color up here as well as chartruesse. Hammered gold spinner rigs are a good standby! As I mentioned earlier take a close look at your lake maps prior to your trip keeping in mind it is a bit early typically for mid lake reef activity, but each year can be a bit different. Don't be afraid to search some shallow water as you'd be suprised the nice fish that will inhabit these waters most of the summer. I've always bought into the theory of deep water fish and shallow water fish. I believe the shallow water fish on dark stained waters like Rainy will stay in relatively shallow water until the oxygen levels are depleted to the point they are drove out mid-winter. Just my 2 cents worth! Hope some of my babbling can prove to be helpful for your trip! RAINY LAKE BABY!

Nice choice in a houseboat. That time of year a great place would be SAGINAW BAY, just on the east side of the Brule Narrows.... lots of houseboat spots and lots of close good fishing for eyes. Northernaire Houseboats is a good choice and, Dick the owner or, Ed the manager know most of the good spots, they will even hook you up with a guide. Good luck and good choice.