• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
enduro67

Aquaview underwater camera selection advice

Question

enduro67

I have been considering buying one of the Aquaview scout II under water camera systems. Not so much for locating fish but more to use a learning tool. It always anoys me to locate fish that you think are crappie and fish over them without getting any bites or getting tailbites only to find out they are merely small bluegills. It would be nice to be able to drop the camera down and find out what's going on.

So my question is which camera works better...the old IR illuminated or the new spectral cameras. It seems like the colored light would spook the fish more than the IR. Also how well do they work in stained water?

4 answers to this question

eurolarva

Hello and welcome to fishing minnesota. I have the scout and love it but mainly us it for ice fishing. I cant answer your question concering the new lighting but it is well worth the 200 dollars. Go to the ice fishing forum and click on search and then type aquaview and sit back and read. Lots of information here. Here is one of the many links I found from FM archives on AQUAVIEW

Deitz Dittrich

It all depends on if you plan on using it at night... I dont... so I went with a larger screen.. I have the Scout XL and love it and use it all the time open water!

enduro67

I looked at the Scout II and the Scout XL side by side at cabela's yesterday...the ScoutII had a distinctly clearer picture that the XL. I was wondering if that was just a coincidence or does the SR camera give a clearer image. I can't decide on which unit to get based on that observation....do I go with the pricier XL model which had the poorer quality image but larger screen or go with the Scout II and take a chance on spooking fish with the led's.

I had done a forum search for "camera" and aquavu and came up empty. I just figured out that I have to change the date range so I'll try it again.

Kyle Sandberg

I think it might have been the monitor. If I remember right, the cameras are the same. The only difference is the light. I have and IR and while using it at night isn't awesome, you can still see fish and the biggest bonous is that the light reflects the fish's eyes so you can see them moving in.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• MN BassFisher
      @bassfshin24 and I snuck up to Mille Lacs for 2 days of fishing recently. We were targeting Walleye near shallow structure in the low light hours and bumping out a bit deeper during mid-day. The first day was slow for us but we found more action on Day 2 including my 2nd biggest Walleye through the ice. I also caught my first tagged Walleye! Pay attention for my slip and fall...      
    • Darett
      Any updates on the ice condition of Bald Eagle? wanted to go up there tomorrow. Has there been any increase of traffic on the lake yet?
    • CANOPY SAM
      Back in the 70's my Dad would take us up to the lake quite often during the winter.   He would rent a day house from Bergeren's Resort (no longer in business).  Very, very few people dared to stay out on the lake overnight!  It was just a bare-bones ice house with folding chairs, a wood burning stove (the fire was lit when we arrived, and there was plenty of cut dry wood for us to burn), holes were opened and cleaned for us, and they provided a bucket full of lively fathead minnows.  We would drive our car out to the house being lead by the resort pickup truck, and they would provide assistance if it was needed.   I know my Dad paid $17.50 for a full day's use of the house (regardless of how many of us were fishing there). 😃 The guys that worked for the resort would swing by a couple times a day to make sure we had enough firewood, and minnows to make it thru the day.   I recall that we didn't seem to catch any "dinks" back then.  Most of the fish we brought to the surface were solid, 16-18 inch chunky walleyes and saugers.  Now it seems like we have to weed thru 5-10 shakers for each "keeper" we toss in the bucket.   We would always catch enough fish for a meal of fried fish, potatoes and Pork and Beans cooked over the Coleman stove my Dad always brought out with us, and most times we had plenty of fish to bring home as well.  We only had hand lines back then.  No fish finding electronics.  We measured depth to the bottom with a 2 oz. weight attached to the hook.   Those really were the "good old days"!   Can you imagine that???  We paid today's equivalent cost of 2-3 scoops of minnows, for a fish house with holes drilled, limitless firewood, and HUNDREDS of minnows!!! 🤣
    • DonkeyHodey
      This was a great time last year!  Kudos to anyone that helped coordinate it; you guys are great!.  I'd love to see it happen again. (...perhaps, though, ?wait until there's a good, consistent 2 feet of ice...--see 12/9/18 Fish trap lake tragedy...)
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has committed to pursuing certification of 15,000 acres of croplands it owns and manages as part of a statewide effort to protect water quality.  The effort falls under the Department of Agriculture’s Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program. Farmers and agricultural producers are certified for voluntarily managing their land in a way that conserves the state’s water. To date, the program has evaluated and certified over 450,000 acres of Minnesota farmland. With the DNR’s commitment, 465,000 acres will be enrolled into the certification program. “The DNR needs to be a leader in ensuring croplands we manage contribute to water quality goals,” said Tom Landwehr, DNR commissioner. “The certification program demonstrates to us, and to the people of Minnesota, that we are using best practices in our land management activities.” The DNR’s small farm fields, mainly scattered across western and southern Minnesota, are managed to provide a supplemental food source for wildlife, particularly in winter months, to increase wildlife viewing or hunting opportunities, or to provide alternate food sources for wildlife to prevent crop damage on private lands. In most cases, the DNR uses agreements with local farmers to plant and manage the fields. In return for planting and managing the crop, the cooperating farmer harvests a portion of the field for themselves and leaves the remaining crop to stand through the winter. The DNR continually seeks opportunities to improve how it manages public lands administered by the agency, including cropland. Improving cropping practices on DNR lands can provide a number of desired benefits, including enhancing feeding opportunities for wildlife, protecting plants and animals on surrounding habitats, conserving and protecting water quality, protecting air quality, as well as sequestering carbon and conserving energy. “The Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program has long been a collaborative effort between federal, state, and local partners,” said Agriculture Commissioner Dave Frederickson. “We are pleased to enroll these DNR-owned lands into the program. This demonstrates how we can all work together to make clean water a priority.” As a supporting partner in the water quality certification program, the DNR participated in the Agriculture Department’s initial efforts to pilot the program, certifying 900 acres of DNR land in 2015 in southeastern Minnesota. In 2012, the state of Minnesota began developing the nation’s first Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program to protect and enhance the water quality of its rivers, lakes, streams, wetlands and groundwater. The following year the Minnesota Legislature authorized the Department of Agriculture to begin implementing the program. Farm producers who implement the necessary conservation practices and participate in the program receive regulatory certainty for 10 years, recognition and priority for technical and financial assistance. Learn more about the farmland certification program on the Department of Agriculture’s website at mylandmylegacy.com. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Ballyhoo
      Somewhat local, 65 miles away.  Roseau/Badger area got less than the Baudette area but it still wasn't much.  We had about 3" this morning, not sure what fell over there.
    • Rick
      The public can get more details about what the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is doing to respond to chronic wasting disease found in wild deer in southeastern Minnesota at a meeting scheduled for 7-8:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 18, in Preston.  At the meeting in the Fillmore Central School Auditorium, 702 Chatfield St., DNR staff will explain the CWD response efforts planned for this winter, including late-season special hunts, landowner shooting permits and targeted culling. “DNR’s actions are designed to limit disease spread and keep Minnesota’s deer populations healthy,” said Lou Cornicelli, wildlife research manager. “We’re having this meeting so people can hear face-to-face about what’s going on and ask their own questions.” Staff also will discuss potential future actions, including a snow-dependent aerial deer survey and expansion of the disease management zone, that now encompasses a 10-mile radius around the city of Preston. To date, sampling efforts taken by the DNR in cooperation with hunters have detected 30 cases of the neurological disease in wild deer in southeastern Minnesota. The DNR discovered 12 new cases this fall in or around the disease management zone in Fillmore County. The agency discovered one additional case that was recently confirmed for a wild deer harvested in Houston County, about 30 miles from the disease management zone. Complete Minnesota CWD test results, including locations of positive test results and statistics, are available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/cwdcheck. Complete information for hunters about CWD for current and upcoming hunting seasons is online at mndnr.gov/cwd. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • paydayy25
      Fished Big Pine last night and this AM. Measured 13'' of ice about a mile south of the Grandview access.    Caught a handful of small walleyes (12'' and under) between 3:30 P.M. and 5 P.M. with the occasional northern pike mixed in. Its been slow fishing but ice conditions are good on my side of the lake with the exception of an small ridge coming straight off the point of the access and a small crack running along the south shoreline of the lake starting near the access.     Tight Lines! 
    • geliason
      Been on Roberds and French recently. Roberds was a little slushy in places. Both seemed to have 6" of good ice, then a couple bad on top. Fine for walking.
    • Rick