• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I think you're kind of missing my point. What I was trying to say is that the same people who will criticize someone for keeping some fish will brag about huge numbers of fish they caught and released, and I'm not sure if they realize that there can be an impact from that also. I personally do both at times (catch and release large numbers, or keep my limit and go home), but I don't have any delusions over how it affects the fish that I handle. I'm not trying to criticize anyone for doing either rather I am trying to make a point. Let's say only 5% of fish caught die from it. If you catch and release a hundred crappies you just killed five. Not a huge problem for me, but by the way some people are concerned over taking a few crappies, it must be a big deal for them. I was trying to defend you Duckj by saying the people who jumped all over you were probably no better than you. Don't get me wrong though, catch and release is a great tool when it's used correctly.

Also, if you get paid to guide, you are a professional.

No the culling law is not there just to keep people from moving fish lake to lake. There is a seperate law for that. The reason we shouldn't cull fish (whether it's legal or not) is because it's hard on the fish.

fish500,

I understand completely where you are coming from. And I fully agree that culling fish can affect them negatively. Hence why if I am going to keep fish on the ice.....I keep them, I don't release them later on. And of course if I am releasing I do work hard to get them back ASAP.

And of course as a rule of thumb, if I am planning to cull I do make sure the fish I am going to release are in good shape......otherwise like you said I've just killed 2 fish.

Quote:

No the culling law is not there just to keep people from moving fish lake to lake. There is a seperate law for that. The reason we shouldn't cull fish (whether it's legal or not) is because it's hard on the fish.

And here is where I may be "a bad guy" - at the cabin, we have a big mesh box (in water next to dock) where the little (and sometimes big) kids put their sunnies and crappies, and occassional bass or walleye. They know their limits, as this ol Grandpa and Grandma teach them how many of each is the limit. But at night, ol' Grandpa might "accidentally" kick the box over, and "unforunately" all the fish get away. The kids think we have escape artist fish in the lake, heh. So, I guess that might be "culling" wink.gif

Don't think I don't keep some for fish fries though! My main rules are, these fish go back if anybody is in my boat:

-ANY smallies

-most largemouth, but will keep a 14-15 incher or two for fish fry if we don't have many crapps

-pike over 26"

-walleyes under 12" or over 24"

-crappies over 12" (most we get are about 8-9 inches)

-any "big" sunny, as we just don't have enough biggies anymore. I will keep plenty of small ones though!

I usually only "preach" to release smallies, as they are just so cool and can be easily decimated when they are feeding, if you kept them. Our lake has tons of 16"-19" smallies, and I want to keep it that way!

Good luck everyone, and I won't bash you Duck smile.gif

Hey, Box your personal walleye slot reminded me that I wanted to remined everybody that the statewide walleye regs are one walleye over 20 per person. It was 24 for so long and they just changed this last year I believe. I forgot till I looked in the regs last night. Have a good opener.

I tell you what: I'm learning a lot from this thread. I am far from a savvy sportsman. I will say that I went out with two well known guides last year on two major MN fisheries. They observed the slot. They both culled. They culled the species that they specialized in. I ate 'em. They didn't keep anything for themselves. A person is probably naive to think its not going on. That being said, I now have a boat and I now have a sound philosophy. Thanks for all the bloviating. Hehehe

P.S. please don't go on to lecture me on the nuances of spawning in this case or size as it relates to reproduction. It's been said. Thanks to all from the newbie!

Oh yeah, can't wait to get out and torture you all with my poor launch ettiquette. Hehe

Culling is as bad as keeping a large fish like a 11+ inch crappie. The culling law is there for a reason and that is to get fish that are going to be releasesd right back in the water. Every minute a fish is in a live well is bringing down the chance that fish will survive once released. Don't be fooled by saying the fished looked "fine" when it was released, because time sitting in a live well greatly reduces their chance of survival. Culling is a state law and shouldn't be practiced in anyway, if you do cull, you are breaking the law and giving all spotsman a bad name and seeing a guide practice this sickens me.

As far as a fishing report things have slowed down for me...seems like a lot of the crappies have moved out of the shallows as the water temp has risen greatly over the past few days. One week and we will be chasing walleyes! Have a safe and fun opener.

Still gettin some crappies. Went to bar harbor this morning-nothing. Whats going on there? They haven't come in at all. Found a pocket in one of the bays at pelican. Wow , was the wind blowin, hands were numb, but we got some eaters. Some nice rollers on Pelican and gull. Good day for indoor sports

Musky, Yep, I know very well the walleye state wide rule. And I am glad you are reminding people of it. By my point is that we return those size no matter what. I will keep my one fish over 20" if it happens to happen, but all over 24" go back. Maybe all over 20" go back, maybe we keep our one biggun under 24", depends upon our hunger wink.gif Anybody who says they don't enjoy eating a walleye... well, maybe they don't but I do.

Happy opener all! smile.gif

Well the weekned is over and me and the boys had a great time fishing. Between 5 guys and 3 days of fishing we must have boated over 200 crappies(mostly males). We did keep around 30 for the guys that live in the cities that dont get out that much. As I stated in my last post, we drink more then we fish and we held truth to that. OUCH! Kept the cabin in merrifield in business for a couple more years. HEHE

I agree, this post has some very good information. Went from Bash Duckj Here to fishing reg's and laws. Learned a few things myself. Guesse im going to have to read that dang book from front to back now. Although, now that I posted we boated over 200 crappies and only kept around 30 it mite go back to Bash Duckj Here. HEHEHE OH Well!

Duck

Quote:

Well the weekned is over and me and the boys had a great time fishing. Between 5 guys and 3 days of fishing we must have boated over 200 crappies(mostly males). We did keep around 30 for the guys that live in the cities that dont get out that much. As I stated in my last post, we drink more then we fish and we held truth to that. OUCH! Kept the cabin in merrifield in business for a couple more years. HEHE

I agree, this post has some very good information. Went from Bash Duckj Here to fishing reg's and laws. Learned a few things myself. Guesse im going to have to read that dang book from front to back now. Although, now that I posted we boated over 200 crappies and only kept around 30 it mite go back to Bash Duckj Here. HEHEHE OH Well!

Duck

I am not going to bash the fishing, just the Weagle. Don't believe the hype, over-rated! LOL

Over-Rated????? Maby. But it catches fish. This I know.

Not so good for crappies though. HEHE

Quote:

Over-Rated????? Maby. But it catches fish. This I know.

Not so good for crappies though. HEHE

This is TRUE!! :-)