• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota Lakemaster chip question

Smeds

Question

Just got back from checking out the chips @ Gander Mtn. (BTW, they're very helpful, letting you put a chip in a display unit to check it out). Here's my question; on the Minn chip, there is quite an overlap with Wisconsin, with most of the lakes I fish on there. The list that comes with the MN chip doesn't highlight any of the Wisconsin lakes as having the better definition. However, on the Wisconsin chip, these same lakes ARE in high definition, with either one or three foot contours. Do they actually have different maps of the same lake on each separate chip, or are both chips high definition? The lakes I'm referring to in this instance are Grindstone & Lac Court Oreilles. If they had the Wisconsin chip I would have checked this out for myself (out of stock for now). Anyone have both chips, or know the story?

6 answers to this question

I can't imagine it not being the same Lake info on each chip.

Yeah Pier ... that's exactly what I thought, but I'm just trying to verify.

Check out the lakemap . com website. They list the lakes for each chip and what the quality of each will be. The lakes contour quality if different for each lake for each chip. The WI chip has Grindstone with 3ft high def and the MN only has the Lowrance Enhanced version which has less definition. Buy the WI map if you want better definition.

I was wrong.....maybe but maybe not...

Both Lakes on the Minnesota Lakemaster 07 chip are listed as just DNR maps "non High def" and are probably from the last Wisconsin Chip data.

Lac Court Oreilles on the 07 Lakemaster Wisconsin chip is a High Definition map in 3 foot contours.

Grindstone on the Lakemaster Wisconsin chip is a High definition Map in 1 foot contours.

I guess that makes sense from a business standpoint.

I guess we will have to compare side by side...let us know when you find out for sure.

Thanks guys ... looks like I'll have to own both, but I think I'll still wait until they're in stock to verify this before purchasing! Pier ... saw your replies on the "other" site as well, thanks again.

Guys,

Lowrance made a production decision to use straight lines rather than the actual meandering state border lines to define the area enclosed on the chip. But, for those lakes that are within the 'box' yet across the border, they just use contour lines from their in-house data base, ie dnr contours, which is the data base they use in their hard drive inventory. The exception is lakes that spill onto both sides of the state border and are available in high definition. These are shown in high definition on both chips. Eg. Big Lake which is on both the WI and MI chips in high def.

Steve @ LakeMaster