• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rivets.......

FishinMaverick

Question

i am trying to install a new floor in my boat, but for the life of me i cannot find any rivets long enough. Does anybody know where i can find rivets that are 3/16 with a grip range of 3/4" that are aluminum/steel?

8 answers to this question

How many do you need ?

Are you riveting the floor to the bottom of boat ? Why not screw it so you can remove it again if you need.

valv i probably need 100 of them, and yes i am riveting the floor to the bottom( or atleast the stringers that run on the bottom) i just figured rivets were the only way to go, can a guy screw the floor down and not worry about it. Also what type of screws would you suggest?

You can use good quality stainless steel screws, I don't think you'll need that many. The advantage of screws over rivets you can remove floor to access tanks, pumps, plumbing, etc.

You can remove old cutup rivet from stringer and use same hole with larger screws. I have some good quality SS for this job if you need.

Double, then triple check the screws you use to make sure they are the correct length. You may need different lengths on different parts of the floor. i.e. shorter ones near the sides of the boat.

ok valv dumb question here, but what is a good way to use the existing holes. i seem to have a problem with finding them once the new floor is on! like i said dumb question, but can't figure any way to put new floor on without redrilling new holes.

Sorry FM, actually the dumb is me, I didn't pay attention you are installing a new floor, I thought you were just removing older.

Anyway, in this case, yes, you have to re-drill.

I don't have many anymode, but I used to have self drilling 2" long floor screws, they were awesome, but I am out now, you can try a good store like Fastenal or others where they have a large variety of screws.

if you have a menards or Home depot near by, they sell triple coated self tapers. I used them when I put the new floor in my boat last year. they work great and no need to pre drill holes.

O

thanks for all the replies, looks like ss screws is the way i am going. wish me luck with the rivets on the side of the boat though(holding the live well and storage compartments on )that looks like fun