• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

20 inch Box Fan

I have no idea what this means, but... Just before the Twins' finished off the Royals tonight, about the time that Jenks (finally) got the last out to squeak out that razor-thin White Sox win over Toronto mad , I heard a strange noise coming from the basement. Sort of a whimpering, sniffling cry... I went down to investigate, and found the strangest sight:

box_fan_agony.jpg

It looks a lot like a game program of mine celebrating the 20th anniversary of the 1985 World Champion Kansas City Royals. And, I was sure I had that tucked away with all of my other baseball memorabilia...

Now, I know that this year's Royals were never really in it, but tonight was the night they were finally and officially mathematically eliminated from postseason play... a coincidence?...... whistle

This is hilarious.

GO BIG RED! (If anyone gets that Neal Stephenson reference I will be amazed!)

I still have the box fan I got for my sophmore college dorm room, its out in my garage, I use it quite a bit. grin

Can we get "FM Box Fan" t-shirts? grin

This thread will never die.

It has become an inside joke between people I know.

The 20" Box Fan is a metaphor for life. Kansas City Royals stickers and all.

I was in Willmar tonight to watch my sons football game against Ridgewater. Prior to heading to the game, we drove past a trailer (about a 6x10) that had a window in the back. As we went by, low and behold, there was a/the 20" box fan in the window. It looked identical to the fan in schweady's pic. I wanted to go back and get a pic, but the Mrs. insisted that we get to the game.

I must have used every curse word all the way there.

Originally Posted By: federline
GO BIG RED! (If anyone gets that Neal Stephenson reference I will be amazed!)

The Big U... a "classic."

Schwead... nice! grin First one's one me for that. Everytime I see this thread (which, honestly, has been A LOT), I envision the GO BIG RED FAN thumping away...

• 4 weeks later...

was searching around [YouNeedAuthorization], and the box fan i believe as trying to make a connection to me. it was a 5 in clip on fan that hasnt been opened. is it possibly the reincarnation of the 20" box fan in smaller formm.....who knows....

Could be one of it's offspring. First, have a DNA test done. Learned that trick from my black sheep cousin.

the royals finished 1 game out of last place in the A.L. central for the first time in years. Coincidence?????????

found aprox. may of 07 1 white sock good shape,not sure if its left or right seems to fit both feet the same,might be a tube sock(I washed it).coming to the cities to get a load of stuff and have a box fan kinda dirty and does not start right away but if ya bang on it or use a pencil to get it goin it works fine.free.plymouth area.

so is the pencil sharpened or dull? if it's sharp that's fine but if not i found this plastic pencil sharpener to sharpen it if it's really dull. the blades got a chip in it but it still sharpens fine and leaves this really cool gouge around it. if your interested let me know saturday. i'll be fishing but i'd be glad to load the boat back on the trailer and meet you anywhere.

sorry but I use a carpenters pencil so it may not work in your sharpener.I'll see if I can find a regular one and I'll throw em both in.Too bad I gotta haul back a trailer or I would drag the boat with drop it in and bring it all out to ya on the lake.

well as luck would have it, a couple years ago i met this guy who knew a guy who had a sharpener for carpenter pencils. if i can find his number maybe i can get it from the other guy and then we're set. this got me thinking too. along with my custom lures maybe i could do any kind of pencils too, huh. strip the old paint off, add some custom paint and coat them with a nice thick coat of epoxy. i'd have to work on the logistics but i think it can be done. hmmmm.

Hmmm now ya got my gears turnin,seems like every where I look in my garage,truck,drawers,I find carpenters pencils and they are all dull with paint chipen off. I think ya might have something here.I know I'm gona sand em but do ya think I should prime em.I thinking glow paint for working long days or dark spots plus if ya drop em you can wait til dark and find em.If I find a bunch I'll give ya some if you give me one back if they turn out real nice.All this talk about pencils made me forget about the fan and sock dont know if I'll find the owner of the sock but both the thrift store and the goodw-ll had no interst in it.So you are welcome to it.

does the fan got stickers? if not i hear they go real fast with the right ones. don't know if they need to be sparkly or not, maybe the fan guru, TRZ, can help there? also if it's missing a blade i guess that helps some. maybe a nice dent? my advice is just keep trying i'm sure somebody else can give better tips. be a shame to just throw that baby away. does that sock have a hole about the size of a quarter about 2 inches below the top? and a really bad tar stain on the heel? if it does i might have the match for it. i'm heading back to the croix later. i stopped fishing because i had to get home and see if there was a reply here. too bad because i was into a huge school of walleyes. oh, well a guy's gotta have priorities. anyway i'll be out there so if you want to match up the sock seek me out, i'll keep it in my pocket.

if the sock isn't a match all is not lost. it would make a nice holder for customized carpenter pencils... hmmmm, wonder if theres a market there too, huh?

put your running light in and stick the sock over the top of that. It would make it easier for someone to find you if they can see the sock waving in the air. If they can't see it, they could at least smell it and let their nose lead the way. sickgrin

I heard rumor there was a jon boat out on Swan Lake by Nicollet that appeared to be set up as an air boat, but there was a, you guessed it, a 20" box fan mounted on the back pushing it through the cattails. Anyone else hear this?

Quote:
I heard rumor there was a jon boat out on Swan Lake by Nicollet

first i've heard of it. i haven't seen a jon boat in months. back in like, ohhh... june maybe. it was tied on top of this really weird looking VW van with stickers and i think squares and triangles painted on. maybe they were flowers i can't be sure. almost looked like they were living in it with the curtains all drawn up tight. anyway that's pretty inventive of whoever did that with a 20'' box fan. lord knows they got enough raw power to push it.

I hope I'm not too late to get this fan, can the blades be reset to be hooked to enough batteries to push my jon boat upriver in the spring. I think I can mount it on the console and just stand one side or the other to deflect the air so's I can dodge the rock's.

If you need batteries let me know because I have at least 3 of them. I have been storing them in my garage the last couple years, two are 10 years old and the other is 6 years old. I don't think they work anymore, but I don't have a charger to either confirm or deny that statement. The batteries are sticker free, but I would be willing to put a few on to sweeten the deal.

Honestly i cant believe this thread is still trucking, its unreal. as far as the fan goes i think general concensus is that next time you see the fan it will be blowing the locks of st. Peter next to the pearly gates, so if you HAVE found the fan...look down,you might be on clouds. (better than the alternative)

Ok, let me do my best follow up, copyright TRZ. If I don't get any offers on my batteries I may just have to properly dispose of them through a county waste management program, I sure would hate to let them go to waste though, but my dog seems to have taken an interest in them recently. A little elbow grease and a charger and these babies could be running like the day I got them I bet.

I only wish I had a box fan to give away, but I guess I'll part with what I can. I have 15 slightly used dixie cups, each only used once. They were rinsed after usage. I can think of many uses for these dixie cups, as they're always good for holding nuts and bolts,jigs,sinkers. I only held onto the ones that are watertight, so might work well for convient chew spitters also. Call me on my cell, and I'll definately be able to deliver within 90 miles of Fargo. Hopefully someone can put these to good use.