• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was fishing Green Lake in Chisago County on Sunday. I landed one smallmouth about 10-11" long on a crappie jig. Anyone else ever get any smallmouth out of this lake?

Are you sure it was a smallmouth and not a rock bass? Never ever heard of any smallies in there.

Tunrevir~

I too have fished this lake quite a few times as its very near my house, and have never heard of a smallie being caught. You didn't happen to take a picture did you?

I am 100% sure it was a smallmouth. No photos but I have landed 100's or 1000's of smallmouths and more than a few rock bass. I hooked the fish in that bay just to the N - NE of the ramp - near the girl scout camp.

It was a strange day of fishing. I got a lot of small bluegill and bass but only a few crappies (only one over 9"). The strange part - besides the smallmouth - was that I got 12 good sized walleyes on a roadrunner type jig. I got so many walleyes I had to stop using that lure even if it was the only thing getting me any crappies.

I had posted a thread a couple months ago about smallmouths being in coon lake. I don't doubt at all that there may be a smallie or 2 in green lake, but it's most definitely a situation where someone "stocked" it there.

Hey Mike, Haven't fished there in years, but we never got any back in the 80's and 90's when we used to fish it all the time. I agree that some lakeshore owner prolly "stocked" it, and prolly a few others.

How's the boat running?

(ps - I got a 18.5" smallie up at the cabin in between crappies last weekend. Was fun. Crapps were a snappin'!)

The boat is running perfect and I love the setup and all the storage. I do not like the spot I put the GPS/sonar in but it is about the only place I could put it. I had to buy a new prop because I beat the heck out of the original one last fall.

I got Lindsey out on her first fishing trip last Saturday. She got some bluegills and had a lot of fun. It is hard to set the hook with a Barbie pole. I even took Pam along. By the way, Pam has made it to 14 weeks and is due on 10/31. That may put a crimp in duck season! She has said I can only hunt less than 30 minutes from home this season.

It was probably a perch, they can be dark in those green stained waters, and can look different to a novice fisherman.

Hehe, Mike is not a novice. He knows a smallie, as he mentioned smile.gif

TRZ it sounds like you are mistaking perch for smallies. They really dont look anything a like. I fish Green often and I have heard of a smallmouth being caught now and again but rarely.

Yeah, with the croix only being a few miles away I think it is very likely, and unfortunately probably pretty common for people to catch some smallies there and release them into green, and probably the other lakes in the chain. And I also wouldn't be surprised if there's 1 or 2 smallies in rush lake as well...although, rush is connected to the croix so they could be more common than any of the chisago chain.