• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kab-Namakan Walleye/Smallmouth Tackle tips for newbie

I am going on a trip to fish Namakan and Kabetogama for my first time mid July this year. I have never fished for Walleye or Smallmouth either one but have fished for crappie and largemouth for 20+ years. I have read alot about walleye and smallmouth tactics so I have a good idea of what I'm getting into but need some advice on specific presentations.

I am going with a hunting friend who has fished there many times so he assures me that he can find some fish. My friend fishes 100% of the time with a plain nightcrawler on a splitshot rig. He has good success with this for both smallmouth and walleyes. I am not much of a live bait fisherman so I am going to take a ample supply of artificials to try but will fall back on the live bait if necessary.

So my specific presentations that I plan to try are:

Smallmouth bass: small spider jigs, tube baits in crawfish colors. 4-inch power worms in minnow colors. Small crankbaits in crawfish colors, jerkbaits.

Walleyes:

Vertical jigging with leadheads tipped with crawlers and leaches and minnows....Any advice on Jig colors????

Pulling spinners tipped with crawlers and minnows....any advice on spinner and bead/hook colors?????

As far as bottom bouncers go do you have better luck with colored ones or the plain lead?

Any suggestions on what fishing line to use....I had planned on the new berkley clear fireline (8lb) and fluorocarbon leader on my jig rods.

Again I am new to Walleye fishing so I will have to buy new all the tackle that I take for the trip...so I am trying to keep it basic with just a few colors of select baits that are known fish producers for these lakes.

Any tips would be appreciated or if theres someone out there that I could call and talk to that would be great as well.

I realize that alot of this may already be covered on this forum and I intend to explore it further as well. Right now I've got the fishing bug bad and keep looking at tackle for this trip but am overwhelmed with the endless selection of colors and sizes.

GUTS would you have time to help this gentleman?

Enduro, all I can say is wow!I have to side with your hunting friend, that time of year, mid July slip sinker rigs wtih crawlers, back trolling is the old reliable for eyes.

I wouldn't really suggest lures too much that time of year for walleyes, except for maybe late evening before dark, something like a shadrap at say 12-16'. Vertical jigging with leadhead jigs is totally dependent with your being right on top of a school, and that can be difficult to find mid July. I use spinners with red hook and small beads often in the summer behind a slip sinker rig, rather than a plain snell. Speed control a must with a spinner rig if you want it to attract walleye.

I don't personally use bottom bouncers, however if you get a good feel, and keep from getting snagged consistently you may do okay.

Fireline is fine, as would be power pro, tie direct, or use a mono leader for more sensitivity. This year lake levels and water temps may dictate some fishing methods for success. Before you load up on tackle, watch posts in July, some good guides put info on here.

Typically smallies would hit crayfish lures, bagley and rebel have some deadly baits, Heddon torpedoes, mepps spinners, salmo hornets and rapala fat raps, all would work well, lots of pros use plastics if fishing strictly for smallies.

Once again, slip sinker rigs with a 5-6 foot snell slowly trolled on reef edges would be the standby method, your hunting friend may be of a great asset to you.

Whats the best for eyes in the end of may?

WJ, the end of May can have lots of variables, most important will be water temps. Cool water, favors minnows and or leeches, that being said, if the water is warmer, lots of algae bloom, the bite might favor crawlers.

In that time frame, I start using lindy rigs, and back troll so I cover more area, if you find a good hole, you could sit there and try vertical jigging with that same set up keeping the bait up off the bottom.

Artificals may to you well in the evenings using them in a 12-15' range.

guts

GUTs thanks for your input. I guess I was putting too much thought into it.

Ok I'm trying to keep it simple so let me rephrase my question.

If you had to choose just 3 or 4 colors of jigs and spinners for summer walleye fishing on the Ash River end of Namakan...what would be your top picks.

The reason I ask is I'm going to Cabelas in St Louis next weekend and would like to pick up a small supply of stuff to try. I realize a simple crawler rig may be all I need but I still will want to try some lures as well.

Enduro67,

I like to fish Nam with a gold, black and red ball jig and a minnow if I am jigging. When you see the color of the fish you will understand why that combination. When I fish Kab I like blue and white or red white and blue ball jigs. I like to use 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs to get em down there. My friend Lavern taught me this and he is the oldest guide on the lake at 92. I would also get some spinner rigs with blue and white blades and some hammered silver spinner blades for Kab and hammered gold and chartruse fading to yellow for Nam. (This I learned on my own) I like to use a big egg sinker of about 3/8 to 1/2 oz to put it on the bottom. I am sure others will have different suggestions that work as well or better as these. There is a place right up at Kab that has all of the items that I described. It is right across from the Kab walleye statue. You can't miss it. Just ask for Phil. He will hook you up with what you need and he can give you some valuable info on where they are biting and on what when you are buying your bait and those "must have" tackle items. Good luck and have fun!

overdalimit

Enduro, do as you want with lures, jigs rigs and ect. Any of your typical bass baits will probably work, they are pretty generic, your choice.

Walleyes are finicky, most of the spinner rigs, or snells are regionally made for specific areas or lakes, example, a 60" snell single bead, swivel and a number 4 or 6 red hook, use a drop sinker, egg sinker, roach rig, lindy rig, depends how deep the fish are and how fast you will be moving, or a slip sinker rig with live bait if they are near the weeds. If its a light bite but you want a spinner, a #2 spinner blade with swivel so your line doesn't twist, with bead and a #6 red or chartruse hook may be best. If you can find that at Cabelas good luck. Spinner colors depend often on water clarity, as do jigs. A favorite jig in these parts is a three color red, white and blue jig, good luck finding that at cabelas. guts

I have been goin up there for about 15 years now. the best luck I have is with a blue floating jighead, splitshot 2 ft up, leech. simple yey EXTREMELY effective!!

Thanks for all the information. There is one lake that has some walleye about an hour from home that I plan to hit in June to try some presentations on. I will keep an eye on the forum as my trip draws near but that will at least get me started.

Funny thing about walleye. Every lake is different. Heck even Nam and Kab which flow together require different stratgies and tackle.