• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Power Loading

There are people that can power load if you choose to call it that, that can load without doing any damage.

We cannot ban them nor can we ban the folks that are either rude or take forever at the landings. People just need how to do things right.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slotlimit

• katoguy

• lots of luck

• BobT

Quote:

Maybe we need to put a ban on bunk trailers!!! People have the $25,000- $30,000 for the boat, but I guess the roller trailer is just a little tooo expensive?

For me it was not a matter of cost. I like my boat sitting on a couple of 12 foot long, 8 inch wide bunks. I do not "powerload" my boat I simply drive it onto those bunks. AND, when I am out alone I can back it down the ramp and get it off the trailer by myself and never have to get out of the truck at the bottom of the ramp to release the saftey chain either. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

When a person power loads you have to use a little common sense and respect the landings if you are going to power load. I do it because it's alot faster and you don't have guys on your tail saying hurry up what taking so long.

Quote:

Maybe we need to put a ban on bunk trailers!!! People have the $25,000- $30,000 for the boat, but I guess the roller trailer is just a little tooo expensive?

Sorry, I should have mentioned it is a 1990. smirk.gif

A new custom roller trailer for the boat would cost nearly what I paid for it. Granted I would love to have a roller.

I have bent two winch posts just pulling it up the last few inches.

I have a drive on bunk trailer, very smooth. The quickness in which I get off the water is greatly appreciated by the people waiting in line at the ramp! No need to power load if it's set up right!

Quote:

Maybe we need to put a ban on bunk trailers!!! People have the $25,000- $30,000 for the boat, but I guess the roller trailer is just a little tooo expensive? Next I can here some say that a roller trailer is not available for my boat.

Powerloading COSTS all of us more for maintenance of our landings. Use your brain. Get the right trailer not just the cheapest trailer.

For me a bunk trailer is the right trailer and most would agree. It is a drive on, drive off trailer and designed that way...not to mention they support your boat much better....especially fiberglass types. And I don't think a roller trailer is more expensive than a bunk. Don't see many fiberglass boats on a rollers...

As mentioned earlier, backing the trailer far enough down can make driving on a lot easier. The problem right now is the water level of many of the lakes around this area is low and you're basically horizontal when unloading and loading because you have to back in so far just to get the boat to float. When that happens you gotta give it some throttle to drive on or drive off because you don't have gravity helping you at all. Most fiberglass and bunk trailer combos are not meant for cranking on...they don't slide well on the carpet. Mine hasn't been too bad so far and I usually get it to about a foot of the bow roller and then crank the rest of the way.

Bottom line is if the landings were decent to begin with, powerloading wouldn't be as big of an issue even with the lower water levels. They are flat and not real user friendly. If they had more angle to them the boats would float off nice and likewise you could drive much further to the front of the trailer before it starts to touch the rollers or bunks. The landings were not built well.

I wasn't really suggesting that we need more laws. I meant my comment as a figure of speech but you are correct that we don't need more government interference. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bob

Quote:

Actually Glass boats are 40 to 50 thousand.

And you wouldn't want to put one on a roller trailer.

Are we clear? grin.gif

Bottom line is if the landings were decent to begin with, powerloading wouldn't be as big of an issue even with the lower water levels. They are flat and not real user friendly. If they had more angle to them the boats would float off nice and likewise you could drive much further to the front of the trailer before it starts to touch the rollers or bunks. The landings were not built well.

Like I stated before i used to work for the DNR building these ramps. The lake bottom is what determines how steep the ramp is. You can only dig them down as thick as the cement slab being put in. If you dig them down say 2 more feet they will just be filled back in by the dirt in the lake. So if the lake drops off quick from the shore then you can have a nice steep ramp and vice versa. So don't blame the DNR. Blame the lake.

Quote:

If you dig them down say 2 more feet they will just be filled back in by the dirt in the lake.

If a landing that was dug out to make it deeper fills in by dirt from the lake, then why don't the powerloading holes fill in every year?

When I say the landings weren't built very well, I mean the entire access location isn't good...not just the landing itself. Seems odd why pretty much every one around here is on the east and south sides of the lakes....the side the prevailing winds blow into. Just bad luck I guess. smirk.gif

But I still believe if a little thought and work were given to the landings they could be better. Most of them could use some TLC to bring them back into shape again.

I think they are trying to make them better, now instead of 1 foot cement slabs to build and extend the ramps they are using 5 foot slabs which should stay in place a lot better.

its useless debating the powerloading issue people that powerload they think everything is just great and it doesnt cause any harm to boat launches so thats cool everybody keep on powerloading!!!! im going to try it this weekend and see what all the hype is all about

MN Vik- First off... not all landings are the same. Those with deeper water there I feel have little to no affect to powerloading. Its the shallow landings that the power loading causes problems. I suppose we could also start a thread about shorline destructin from people making waves as well?

Quote:

Quote:

If you dig them down say 2 more feet they will just be filled back in by the dirt in the lake.

If a landing that was dug out to make it deeper fills in by dirt from the lake, then why don't the powerloading holes fill in every year?

When I say the landings weren't built very well, I mean the entire access location isn't good...not just the landing itself. Seems odd why pretty much every one around here is on the east and south sides of the lakes....the side the prevailing winds blow into. Just bad luck I guess. smirk.gif

But I still believe if a little thought and work were given to the landings they could be better. Most of them could use some TLC to bring them back into shape again.

During the summer people are constantly power loading on the lake and it keeps the dirt out of that hole. If it was left alone all summer the hole would fill in. Maybe not the whole way but it would be much less. Now if you dug them deeper it would still leave a hole and the rest of it would fill in.

You are also right about selecting the location. But A lot of the times the DNR has no choice on where to build they have to buy the land they can get someone to sell.

Yes the accesses could use some TLC. Like I said before I was incharge of fixing the power loading holes before. I enjoyed it but no one else I worked with liked this job so now in the kandiyohi area I'm sure it goes by the wayside. Once I would fix the problem it would take years for it to happen again. I have no problem with the power loading....it always kept me busy.

May be we should just ban bass fishing and bass boats. They are the power loading crowd. grin.gif Just joking Deitz!

I have never heard this topic brought up any were before. I have noticed it at landing and that’s about all. Now I am hearing this topic last Sun. on the way down to city's catfish on Bear azz'z and Fish nuts (mark and larry). I think it all started here. Cool! Next thing ya know they will make a law about it and FM will be the starting point of the whole thing. I have stated my standings on this issue many posts ago.

Just thought I would mention it was a topic on a radio show last weekend.

Make the ramp deep enough and people wouldn't need to "powerload".

It will take much more then a summer or two of not powerloading at a certain spot for that hole to fill in.

My cabin is a great example; we used to power load at our property every weekend before we got a boatlift. That was 11 years ago. The blowout hole is still 3 feet deeper then the water around it.

on the positive side the blow out hole is a great spot for fish!

Quote:

Maybe we need to put a ban on bunk trailers!!! People have the $25,000- $30,000 for the boat, but I guess the roller trailer is just a little tooo expensive? Next I can here some say that a roller trailer is not available for my boat.

Powerloading COSTS all of us more for maintenance of our landings. Use your brain. Get the right trailer not just the cheapest trailer.

I would like to see the DNR ban powerloading and ENFORCE it. At least then the people wrecking the landing would be paying to repair the landing.

Your not serious? laugh.gif You may want to educate yourself on glass boats and trailer types. I had a Ranger Z22 Comanche with a 300 horse on order until I found out I could not get that with a roller trailer. Then I walked. laugh.gif

Quote:

Even better swimming conditions at the end of ramp on a busy Saturday. laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Even better swimming conditions at the end of ramp on a busy Saturday. laugh.gif

I have seen that several times!

Quote:

I would like to see the DNR ban powerloading and ENFORCE it. At least then the people wrecking the landing would be paying to repair the landing.

WOW! You mouse jocky's crack me up. I own a Z20 Ranger and a 621 Ranger and you wouldn't want them on any thing but bunks. They don't offer your "more expensive" roller trailers for a reason..!

My 2 cents: Guys will reel in fish all day long but refuse to crank the boat on to the trailer? That's just lazy! There's a reason the rope/strap on the winch is as long as the trailer.

cranking a glass boat is not quite as easy as reeling in sunnies.

the dnr is changing the way they put in the cement they are going to 5 ft long slabs instead of the 1ft and are going out as far as 30ft on some. there are some lakes with a deep enough drop off that power loading has no effect on. It is only a problem on the shallow ones.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If power loading can be done without washing out the landing then go for it. I've seen it done where the boat is idled onto the trailer. Then again I've see boats driven up a trailer that required a heck of a lot of thrust to do that. Have you ever seen treasure hunters using power dredging done with a ships props and funnel in the ocean?

When I see someone power loading at high RPMs I wonder how the heck they got the boat off the trailer? Seems to me they need to back the trailer in the water a little bit more. How can you regulate common sense. I can't imagine the stress thats getting put on the transom and hull while shooting a roster tail to get the boat pushed up a trailer.

The thought that roller trailers don't offer the support that bunks do isn't true. A bunk is only supported where theres a mount. Take a 18' 2x8, support it on both ends then stand in the middle. I think you get the picture.

My 25' Saratoga had a roller trailer and never had a problem with support. The boat rolled off and on nicely so size isn't an issue.

Surface Tention,

Good point! Well stated and you give valid points.

The only time I have ever heard of a roller trailer causing a problem (never seen one), is when one of the rollers comes off (some how) and person did not notice when unloading or loading. Besides that rollers work great. I would like to have them on my trailer, but I have bunks and a power winch. I really make it simple with remote pull string and possibly wireless in future.

Quote:

cranking a glass boat is not quite as easy as reeling in sunnies.

I watched a guy hand crank a Seaswirl Striper 2301DC (might have been a 2101) up on Forest Lake last night. He managed without breaking a sweat.

Nice boat.

Also, for those that think your bunk supports full length, slide a credit card in between the glass and the bunk support. You'll find it only supports near the bunk brackets.

I've had glass up to 21 feet on both bunk and roller. You can crank up both if you dip your bunks. There is nothing wrong with driving it on a trailer - UNLESS - you are the (Contact Us Please) blasting it up.

Tim