• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Power Loading

Was wondering what people thought about power loading? I do it and it makes things a lot easier, but then when I take the puddle jumper out with a little 15 horse motor just to anchor and bobber fish panfish, I almost break an axle and never load it back up on a balanced level due to the big scour hole from power loaders.

I've heard some private places ban power loading. I know it sure doesn't help on shallow landings, because behind the big blow hole is a big hump of gravel that can bust a prop up really well. (although the scour hole usually holds a few fish)

What's a good rule of thumb for when to powerload a boat?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slotlimit

• katoguy

• lots of luck

• BobT

I know a lot of people are still on the fence on this issue. There are pros and cons to just about anything, and this is no exception to the rule. I know that some people with heavy boats and bunk trailors like to powerload beacuse it is virtually impossible to crank the boat up. It is not only quicker, but in reality the only way to load some of those boats.

I have an older 18ft crestliner (fiberglass) and it has a pretty deep hull design. I typically crank my boat on my trailor since I have rollers and that seems to be the only definate way that I can get my boat on straight.

I know that there are some landings that after I launch my boat, I get beached 10 ft behind the dock due to the prop wash pushing a nice sand pile out a ways. I typically don't have a problem in most circumstances, but on shallow landings it is almost a given.

I am not out here to talk negatively about certain style of boats, but there are many boats that share landings that find it hard to float in 1 fow.

I am okay with the fact that it is needed in certain situations, but I definately have been bummed out a few times due to it as well.

Theres my $0.02

CA

I heard this ad on the radio the other night and it is a pretty cool idea for loading a boat. I hope i can put this web site on here this way it was ropeaboat.Kind of interseting, check it out.Video of it in use.

I have seen the rope a boat in use... Pretty darn cool if you ask me.

From their video it still looks like he was powerloading it though.....

Yep.. its still powerloading... but they also have a version that is a power winch I believe..

I some cases you have to powerload. I have a 22 foot boat that I have to powerload. It is too heavy to winch up. If I back the trailer in so far that the bunks are completely submerged, I never seem to get it lined up and stay that way until I pull the boat out since I lose sight of the trailer about 5 feet out. I have tried the non-powerload way a couple of times and it never goes as well. Hook the boat up to the winch - pull forward a bit - realign the boat - pull forward a bit - realign etc. I understand the scour hole concern but sometimes there is no other option.

Powerloading can be done with just about anyboat. It takes skill and practice just like everything. I can honestly say Ive never heard of "scour holes" from doign such a thing. All the ramps I use are concrete and in shallow water or in heavy waves or current cranking is faster than powerloading if your not tyhat great at it.

i have seen the "scour holes" and i probably have helped cause them some too. sorry! but there is no way i'm going to try to load my ranger with a winch.i do try to only use as much power as needed and not over do it. so one does have to be carefull on some ramps.

I drive my older 16' aluminum boat onto the trailer. I don't know if it's considered "Powerloading" though, because I basically just idle it up until it gets hung up on the trailer, then I step out on the trailer and pull it the rest of the way up by hand or with the winch if needed. Beats getting the feet wet.

Quote:

I know in the mn handbook it says NEVER POWERLOAD.

Which mn handbook is this? Just wondering....

Quote:

I drive my older 16' aluminum boat onto the trailer. I don't know if it's considered "Powerloading" though, because I basically just idle it up until it gets hung up on the trailer, then I step out on the trailer and pull it the rest of the way up by hand or with the winch if needed. Beats getting the feet wet.

Powerloading is when you're at that point where the boat gets hung up on the trailer but instead of getting out and pulling it up like you do, you give it some gas and drive it up the rest of the way, or close to it.

I was with someone once and we had some nasty cross winds which where big enough that the waves were breaking over the dock at the access...coming right at the port side of the boat. Nice, big rollers, Oahe style. He got the boat centered on the trailer and proceeded to powerload it the rest of the way. Right when he gave it the goose a wave lifted the boat off the trailer and the bow ended up about 6" from the back window of the Explorer that was pulling the boat. shocked.gif The boat side-stepped the bow roller so there was no stopping until the wave receded and set the boat down just in time. The look on the driver's face...priceless!

I'd like to see the official definition of "power-loading".

Many guys that try to "power-load" with a roller trailer may be the guilty party(ies). Driving-on a trailer is perfectly fine, if done correctly. Bunk trailers are designed to drive on. Back up far enough. If you are having problems - look at getting side rollers or adjusting your trailer.

Also, all newbies should be nervous about the access game. It makes everyone think through the circumstances. A few minutes tying up an access is enough.

The only way to solve the scour hole problem is improve the ramps and place the concrete slabs further further down the ramp. However, I have never heard this issue brought up on FM or by anyone else. I had small boats for years and loaded at lakes all over northern MN and never encountered one.

Now I always power loaded the Stratos now with new Crestliner I have to crank it on or it ends up crooked everytime.

As for the landing powrloading does make a mess out of the landing not to mention all the silt it stirs up headed right for your water pump and the pumps of other boats near by.

I have noticed many ramps are posting sign banning power loading.

Quote:

Quote:

I know in the mn handbook it says NEVER POWERLOAD.

Which mn handbook is this? Just wondering....

Minnesota Boating Guide 2007, pg 60, 3rd paragaph

"When you retrieve your boat, please use your winch. Using the engine to "power load" the boat can create a hole at the end of the ramp resulting in trailer damage and costly repairs to the access."

Quote:

The only way to solve the scour hole problem is improve the ramps and place the concrete slabs further further down the ramp. However, I have never heard this issue brought up on FM or by anyone else. I had small boats for years and loaded at lakes all over northern MN and never encountered one.

I used to work with the DNR building these ramps and fixing the holes. When laying the slabs we do them 3 at a time with a tractor and loader. We put them as far back in the lake as possible. You can only drive the tractor so far into the water. I also fixed the holes. It wasn't that big of deal to me. But if you actually get back and check the last slabs you will see that it is also washed out underneath the back couple of slabs in the middle from power loading. We fill the holes up underneath the slabs with rocks big enough to with stand power loading. I have been just below waste deep on the last slab and stepped off into water over my head and I'm 6'1".

heres a tip for those who powerload and have trouble centering since they cant see front of the trailer. Attach a small magnent to a piece of fiberglass rod just long enough that it will stick above your bow , then attach the magnent to the upright stand of the front roller and this will act as a centering guide. when loaded simply remove the guide and place in boat for next trip out.

ON one of my favorite lakes there is a real problem with the scour holes. It's been done so many times without being fixed that once you start your boat and go back, 5 feet later, it comes up to <1'. Dinged up the porp a little and it got me PO. Now the only way to get on that landing is to follow the shorline until you can get in deeper water.

When things got that bad we would take a backhoe and clear it out. I would say contact your local trails and waterways to fix the problem.

I was waiting to load at Oahe one day and kind of watching a guy load his boat. I don't know if he had something with digital throttle or what, but he had a cell phone up to his left ear and when he hit the throttle he must have thrown a rooster tail for nearly 100 feet. He got it on the trailer and just kept shooting this rooster tail until his buddy had the winch tight. confused.gif

Quote:

I was waiting to load at Oahe one day and kind of watching a guy load his boat. I don't know if he had something with digital throttle or what, but he had a cell phone up to his left ear and when he hit the throttle he must have thrown a rooster tail for nearly 100 feet. He got it on the trailer and just kept shooting this rooster tail until his buddy had the winch tight.
confused.gif

Chicks Dig Rooster Tails!!! I try to send mine 150' wink.gif

I have to admit, it was entertaining. He might have had a Verado on his boat and wasn't used to the throttle.

The part that I don't understand is why the rest of us should be held responsible for cleaning up the landings because a select group decides they prefer to power load. Is this fair?

Bob

Driving on doesn't hurt anything if done correctly.

BobT, maybe you should move your argument here to the political discussion board. We all pay for things that isn't a consequence of our own actions. Fair?

Just curious, how is it done correctly so as to not adversely affect the landing or foundation under it?

I think I was the first one on the other post that mentioned that more and more ramps are restricting power loading. My local city access on WBL is one that has.

Thank you slotlimit for providing first hand info on the repairs. While it might not take much to temporarily repair the washout, multiply that by how many need to be done in a year, and how many don't get done, and it is not a small matter.

We used to power load all the time. It does work great, and fast, and looks good to onlookers, making "us" feel proud that we are so fast and good. But, nowadays we don't do that anymore as I have seen what propwash can do to blow out material under the ramp, and have seen crews fixing it.

It might not ruin it from one power load (obviously) but multiply that 50+ times a day.... wow.

It is just as easy to motor up to the trailer (put in at the proper depth) hook up the hook and crank up the last 3-4-5 feet. We leave motor in idle until the hook is on, then shut it off. Take only about 1 extra minute to crank our boat. I know many boaters won't change. But hopefully some do, which might lengthen the time it takes between ramp repairs.

Good luck,

Once a person learns how to power load their boat, they will never want to crank it up again. I have power loaded my boats for the last 20 years. Even with a roller trailer it is possible, just a little harder to do. If it wasn't for the hole from power loading at the ramp I can't float my boat off the trailer at alot of lakes.

Pretty easy. Back in far enough. Very slow idle towards the trailer with the motor tilted up. Kill the motor and slide right into place.

Yep, pretty simple if you have a drive on trailer and set it up correctly. Many times I do have to crank the last few inches, though.

Gotcha, and yes, that is basically how we do it now. That is not "power loading" though, at least not what I think most are talking about here - which is using throttle to literally "drive the boat up the trailer to the winch".

We are in synch 100%, and that won't hurt the ramp in my eyes either. Thanks,