• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bowfishing

Anybody heading out for the opener tomorrow. I cant wait. I went out to Calhoun tonight and there are quiet a few in the river. There also was a kid out there bowfishing already. It was the first time I got to try out the T.I.P. line. GOOD LUCK...

hardwater,was out at games lake yesterday moning and caught a nice meal of sunnies,also the northerns carp and other rough fish were hanging outin runoff at state landing.

Caught a nice carp that was a thrill on 6 pound line and panfish equipment.Also had to quit as northerns really started to bite after a while.

Some of the area is sandy ,if you want go look ,but lots of the rough fish are only 2 to 3 pounds.'

I didn't know there was a season on rough fish!!!! I thought they were legal year around!!

primetime, did you get the sunnies in shallow or deep water? What time of day? From shore or by boat?

I was at Games this weekend. Like Prime said, the outlet has a ton of fish in it, but they're small. Ba careful, too, because there were a lot of game fish in there, too.

The water was still pretty murky, but there were a lot of carp in the bay on the NW corner of the lake. Not too many on the surface yet, but they are there and some warm temps and sun should be getting them in the mood.

I hope to be out there this weekend, so leave some for me!!! grin.gif

Quote:

I didn't know there was a season on rough fish!!!! I thought they were legal year around!!

Archery/spearing is only open after May 1st to protect gamefish that run the streams to spawn, too!

Blackjack,fished from shore at creek at DNR landing.

I was probaly first one in it that morning.

Stand off culvert on north end,parking side cast to just over dark bottom with tinsle jig and 2 inch or smaller plastic minnow,retrieve real slow staying near bottom.You will drift towards tar road culvert and hopefully under grasses on south side ,lift the jig in current and sunnies react.

Fishing anywhere to north just gets you northerns.

got my 10 tasty sunnies in about 15 minutes .

Tryed under tar road and no crappies yet,some sunnies .

Its kinda cool that fish can be caught stnding 6 feet from the car.

If the jig is running down current they bite ,going up doesnt work.It looks them in the eyes,staying on bottom or within 6 inches ,keeps the slimys off.As soon as you pull up they see it,slimys they take it.

this area is about the size of a car.

hardwaterfishing,worked up at boat factories yesterday at little falls,on the way past Bowlus on ride home saw some people bow fishing and spearing off river culverts.

To my surprise it was young adult women,where were they when I was young?They were pretty good at what they were doing .

primetime, Drove by that spot last night on the way home. That new pier looks prety nice! And it should help keep the people off the road. Don't know when I'll get over there fishing, gearing up for camping this weekend, trying to get my corn food plot planted, need to change my priorities I guess and get out fishing!!!!

Quote:

That new pier looks prety nice!

What is the plan for that new pier???

It does look nice. It will probably mean more folks on the lake frown.gif

Wiggum ,its going in the water in the creek where I caught sunnies,

Than supposedly no one will stand on road to fish.

sorry but its going to be road fishing on other side once crappies move in for me.

It sorta is going to fill whole area from looking at its size,just might be a little big.

A dock might have saved many thousands of dollars here,like 20,000.and kept some fishing space.

but it is a nice one

So, it's going in that little pool just before the water goes under the road? Wierd! There wasn't even water in there last summer.

x marks the spot

it does seem kinda strange

Blackjack,what do you need for food plots> I am going to bug a couple seed companys and get some first class seed instead of stuff from giveaway from town?

Got another 3 acres cleaned last week,area no deer roamed before cleaning last fall.

Also I need some wild plum or apple trees,anybody need some thinned out?

Hardwater looks like your post got HiJacked! I was at Calhoune today took some suckers above the dam.lost my arrow too! First five shots were misses could'nt get my infraction bearings!! then 3 straight hits bout 3 lb.ers,Whent to take a couple carp my line snapped,I kinda know where my arrow is but the waters cool,I'll get it sometime I do have another! The Bass boys would go crazy! in front of the dam there stacked up 30-50 a few look 5 or better with 2 I'd guess Ummm 7. I walked the shore to the west and saw bass 5-7 lbs. there too.I do believe I'll try bassin there this summer.I was there 1PM sun at my back to see in the water. cool.gif

Went out on some potholes by lake Elizabeth. Didn’t get much it was pretty windy. Sparcebag was there many people bowfishing at Calhoun? I usually take the john boat from Calhoun down the river until my grandpa’s. Usually do pretty good, the river is to high for me right now for the john boat. I will probably give Calhoun a try on Sunday.

Nobody there 1 truck went through looking,I was the only person.I normaly walk thorugh the river where you float.Wheres your gramps on Co Rd.2 ?? I walk from the colvert 1/2 mi.east of Calhoune then take the fork to the dam.but I can get so many on that walk I dont know what to do with them.I do smoke them! I was going to smoke sat.3 suckers 3 carp and a turkey but no arrow for 3 carp.I'll be back later today to compleat my smoke menu.

primetime, I can't help on the apple or plum, I'm looking for some myself. What I have done is watch for apple trees in the fall when they go on sale. I do have the names of some nurseries that will sell bareroot apple trees in quantities of 10, problem is that lots of times they have a minimum order dollar limit that is fairly high.

I've used some of that Roundup-ready corn that PF gives away, it works ok. In fact I just picked up two more bags. If you can talk the seed companies out of some roundup ready soy beans, I'd like to try that in a food plot. And clover is always good for deer!!

If you're going to be at Games some afternoon, let me know and I'll stop by and say hi.

My grandpa lives just west of the town crow river, if you want to call it a town. It usually takes about six hours from calhoun to get to his house. usually do get quiet a few on the way.

hardwater, definatly go to Games Lake on the new pier.

Very good for rough fish.

Nobody will believe this but saw a 18 to 20 pound Northern in their yesterday morning.

Opener I am either going off south est side of it to Henchun or up river from Nest to New London.

Saw quite a few northern and walleye in both waters yesterday.

Kayak fishing again this year should bring out the big ones.

Fishing in a boat is ok ,but you have more fun going where few have traveled.

Quote:

hardwater, definatly go to Games Lake on the new pier.

Very good for rough fish.

Nobody will believe this but saw a 18 to 20 pound Northern in their yesterday morning.

I checked out the new pier on Saturday. Not a rough fish to be seen. There were a few suckers "upstream" of the pier.

Prime, that is a big pike! I didn't see any that big on Saturday, but there were 30-50 pike sitting in that little pool. It was neat!

Wiggum ,it looks like a fish aquarium in the creek now.

A day before the pier went in I was getting good size sunnies,no crappies yet.

Went down to opening to slough below it and wow,fish heaven.

Where the fish go do I?

blackjack gonna go down to Games about 8:00 thursday morning to get some fish for ground {leave burner]smokin/just got a recipe that freind uses ,can smoke 30 fish in a spring leave burn cleanup,kinda like dutch oven

bringing spear and rope,also rod in case all the suunies ae not not gone,

If ya can stop do so if not catch ya later

Sorry Primetime, I was working. Did you have any luck?

Blackjack pier was occupied when I drove by,so I went and put my dock in three weeks earlier than was going to.

I try to fish at least an hour per day so now my schedule is off.

maybe will fish 2 hours one day this week coming up.

Bought a new 8 horse Yamaha four stroke at tigers the other day so am making a shallow water slough popper boat for sloughs before they weed up.

Try next couple weeks toget you some some excursion where few men have traveled.Some freinds and myself are trying every imaginable water this weekend to see where monsters go.

Might have found some fruit trees to thin out .Will know by sunday night.

Quote:

I try to fish at least an hour per day so now my schedule is off.

maybe will fish 2 hours one day this week coming up.

Primetime, Sounds like you have your priorities straight!!!

I'm busier than snot right now trying to get my food plots in and boat ready and yard work, etc. but mayby in early June we could hook up for an excursion?