• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to Boating/Fishing in Brainerd

I moved away to serve in the US Navy in the late 80's and so this site is the best for helping me learn/relearn techniques to teach my children. We moved back to Brainerd and just bought a used boat and I am looking for some help on a number of different boating issues. I would like to keep it on the water someplace thats a good fishing /boating lake. Are there any places to rent for the summer? What are the reasonable fees for doing so? Any recommendations on where to get the boat serviced? Also I would like to get some electronics installed on my boat but am not sure what to get or who can install it. A good fish finder/gps??? Budget is around 3-400$$$. I'm involved in youth sports and scouting and I would like to take the kids fishing any ideas where to go? Keep up the great topics and info. Thanks to all that respond!!!!

I think I can answer one of your questions. I believe the best place to get some electronics installed in the area is Jim Wentworths Fish Lectronics out of Nisswa- Hes the best in the biz- His number is 218-963-4375, Hope this helps a little

I just gave them a call and will be going up there later today. Thanks for the info on that. Very helpful.

BC, welcome back, and thanks for your service!

I don't live there but have cabin in Crosslake (not on chain). The Whitefish Chian is really nice, and plenty of spots with slips for rent, but don't know the price. it might be high, and it might be farther than you want to travel, since there are so many lakes in the area.

I know you were in Navy, so it might seem silly what I would recommend, but a boating course by Coast Guard Aux is really good. I took it when was sheriff water patrol volunteer, and I thought I knew plenty already, but it was a great course, and I learned a lot. Worth the time, and honestly, I can now parallel park on any busy dock, and in any slip and with any wind condition and be safe for passengers and nearby boats in next slip. You see too many people (usually with speedboats on busy lakes) who are just soooo clueless as to what to do around docks.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

I think the slips I am thinking about on Crosslake/Dagget Brook is C&C Marine, and they have been good to me when I needed parts. They are big, so some people don't like them, but they were very helpful to me in emergency repair situation. Parts were same cost as in the Twin Cities. But it might be too far for you from Brainerd, but worth hitting the chain to check things out in the summer some time.

Have fun, and you too will become addicted to this site smile.gif

BC

I recommend Nisswa Marine to service your boat.

Jim Wentworth (Fishlectronics, Nisswa) can install your electronics. Another guy that can do it is Paul Coventry...he is in the phone book.

There should be some good sales on electronics coming up in the next week or two at Reeds. I prefer Lowrance units, and you might be able to get into a decent smaller one for 300-400. You would also really find the Lakemaster Chip (GPS lakemap) helpful for finding and working good fish spots more precisely. Talk to Jeff at Reeds and he will help you out.

What do you want to fish primarily? We can help you more with some info on species you want to pursue, time of year, etc. For kids, it's hard to beat panfish and bass, and Gull Lake is loaded with both. So is North Long.

Not sure what to tell you about the boat slip or storing your boat on the lake. Most of us trailer up each and every time we hit the lake....it keeps us more versatile and mobile. You might be able to work something out with one of the resorts on a smaller lake. Bigger lake resort might be kind of spendy and cost prohibitive....not sure?

Hope this helps,

Bertha Boatworks on the Whitefish chain is a great marina I actually bring my boat up from the metro to them to have work done. They rent slips but I am not aware of the prices. The whitefish Chain is great for boating but it can get a little crazy on busy weekends.

I would second the Nisswa Marine comment. I have had wonderful service there and will be up there to pick up my boat on Saturday. We also store our boat there.

TrophyEyes,

I am right with you on the awesome service that Nisswa Marine offers. I don't think you can find better service anywhere. Yes they are a big sponsor of mine, but I see how they deal with the general public and it's pretty impressive. Keep up the good work Nisswa Marine. They also have boat slips for rent (218-963-2292).

Walleyedan

I would go to Gander Mountain in Baxter. One stop shop if you ask me. They have all the gear and work on boats as well. I take mine there and and been nothing but impressed.

Great info. Thanks to all those that responded.

Big Cahuna,

Send me an email if you want to talk about getting you set up with some electronics. I like to mess around with it as a hobby. I just installed a Lowrance 334C(sonar/gps) for a friend of mine last week. He got a good deal on it from Reed's.

It can get spendy pretty fast at Wentworths, maybe you went and saw Jim already. Either way I would be happy to talk with you about doing it for you.

You can email me at [email protected]

I've been gone for a bit for work. I just emailed you. Thanks!