• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Landing Etiquette

muskiechaser

Umm...vitalshot5, maybe it is different in The Falls, but in the cities, the docks AT THE RAMP are for people to load and unload. There ARE signs that state no fishing from launch dock.

There are piers for bank fishing.

Glenn

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cold one sd

• muskiechaser

• united jigsticker

• slotlimit

Quote:

It's threads like this that make me nervous as heck when I land and launch my boat. I'm a first time boat owner who fishes mostly with my kids.. So I do all the work alone. Luckily, so far, everyone I've met at the landing as been helpful.

Just admitting you are nervous and concerned to me means there won't be a problem.

It's the people that don't give a rip, you know, their time is more valuable then yours, that's the ones to worry about.

Take an hour or two on a weeknight at a slow launch and practice.

grin.gif

Quote:

How does everybody else handle a busy boat landing? I was getting off the lake today, and there were three of us waiting our turn, doing circles in front of the dock. This other guy pulls up to shore, drops off his passenger, and gets his truck in line in front of us who were patiently waiting our turn to use the landing. Needless to say there were three unhappy boaters all giving this guy a nasty look.
mad.gif
Am I way out of line here? It seems to me if that was the way it works, it would be total chaos every time.

What are your thoughts?

John

It's first come first save.. So should be all good... I just hate it when people are dropping their drivers off to get the truck, then another boat comes in and just parks and ties their boat up to the dock and everybody has to wait for him to load his boat because it would be blocking the loading area ect...

I hear ya! I usually do the work myself too. I can usually get it unloaded and loaded in just a few minutes. However, sometimes it can be hard to get on straight, especially when the landing is all uneven and your trailer is sitting in the water all funky. Plus, this time of the year I'm a little rusty. I have never had any bad experiences at the landing, but it still makes me a little nervous.

I've read all previous posts here and nobody has mentioned parking lot courtesy. Last year at the landing on upper Prior Lake another angler mentioned to me that when he earlier arrived, the parking lot was full except for one spot. So he starts unloading his boat. As he's unloading, another truck with a bunch of young guys pulling a "wake" boat pulls in behind him to unload. The guy ties up, pulls his trailer out of the water and when he gets to the last parking spot here's some rude little twerp claiming the parking spot was for his buddies trailer, that was now unloading. The guy informed the kid that it was first come first served and the kid actually claimed he got there first and wouldn't leave.

How can somebody be that arrogant and ignorant at the same time? What do you do in that situation? Call a CO? It's not like a law was broken but some folks just don't get it.

I believe the guy ended up parking down the street somewhere. All I could do was shake my head... frown.gifconfused.giffrown.gifconfused.giffrown.gif

Upper prior parking problems???? Wake boat punks on Prior???? hmmmmmmmmmmm, welcome to the neighborhood.

Kylerk, I was nervous with my boys as well last summer, it works pretty slick if you dock the boat (on the non landing side) walk to the vehicle with your kids, and have them sit in the truck to "spot for ya" as you load the boat. Practice is good.

Quote:

when he gets to the last parking spot here's some rude little twerp claiming the parking spot was for his buddies trailer, that was now unloading. The guy informed the kid that it was first come first served and the kid actually claimed he got there first and wouldn't leave.

How can somebody be that arrogant and ignorant at the same time? What do you do in that situation? Call a CO? It's not like a law was broken but some folks just don't get it.

Sounds like a good time to implement a strategy from the Randy Moss driving school. shocked.gif

I will agree that the trailer determines your position in line at a landing and not the boats. Obviously if your trailer gets there before some body who has been floating around you have to go first or they will never be able to go. It does kind of pose a problem when you are fishing by yourself, simply because you cant be in two places at one time. I live on a busy lake and when I am using the landing here or elsewhere I get my boat all ready to go and then move down the line towards the landing to watch others and see if I can lend a hand. You would be surprised how many times there is a dad with kids, or a mom by herself etc...they really appreciate a hand. Try it once you can really make somebodys day, and it makes the waiting time seem less ling

Some people won't or can't power load and they crank their boat on the trailer. Some folks are new to boating and just don't know how. The good part is that there is usually someone willing to help them get loaded and off of the launch. Then you have the person that unloads his boat and ties it to the dock and goes to a baitshop for bait. I know of one guide in SD that is known for this. He also likes to have all his clients stand around the fish cleaning table while he cleans their fish. No one else gets to clean fish until he is done. He also likes to park his pickup at the top of the ramp and bark orders at people as they head down the ramp. You probably know what I told him to get last summer. Someone mentioned 4 way stops. Bad example around here where people drive like pigs, shoving and pushing at the trough. They go through 4 way stops 4 at a time. Even on this thread people are talking about running over lines and punching each other out. No small wonder fishing can get to be a big pain in the butt. It is nothing other than courtesy to another person that wants to enjoy the same things that we do. I have actually seen a boat with a pickup bumper bent and attached to the front of a boat for those that "Get in my way and tee me off.". What an attitude. I have had people pass me when I was running 35 mph with two little kids in the boat so close that the spray from their stern got me wet. We had a conversation when I caught him at the dock. I also found that it wasn't necessary to knock the snot out of him either. Some people just don't know what they are doing. Sometimes a bit of explantion is helpful.

I've been reading this, and lots of good info, and lots of deju vu as well wink.gif Here is what I would say will help, in bullet point list.

-Have plug in boat before you leave your garage.

-Get in line and then take tie downs off while waiting (if you have more to do than tie downs, i.e. putting rods and coolers etc. in boat, do it BEFORE you get into line, just stop short so anybody can still pass you to get in line).

-If possible, have someone else pull the empty trailer out and you (or friend/spouse/kid) just idle around away from dock until partner parks truck and meets you on dock.

-If fishing alone, or with little kid, etc., then tie to boat to the opposite side of dock, so it won't be in way of next guy. This is the one that gets people upset, IMO, if you block the ramp.

-When coming in, drop a person off and then back off and idle away from the dock. If you are alone, then tie up AWAY from the ramp part of dock. Heck, even ask a person on the dock hold your boat for you, I have held boats for plenty of people, works fine.

-Offer help to people who might seem like rookies or might need some help. All they can do is say no, then no biggie.

-Pull up far enough so that you don't block others when you are putting on tie downs, etc. SOOOO many people don't understand this, I can't believe it. WBL is notorious for people who don't understand this... heh.

-If it is busy, just relax and have a little laugh. No matter how experienced you are, you will be a butt of the laugh at some time, so go easy on people.

-As my brother says, when old farts are taking forever, don't worry about it, because they won't be around long anyway wink.gif (kidding of course, but funny every time he says it)

For more serious anglers, just plan to get on early (no lines) and off at about 9:30 or 10 am. 10 seems like the time when the clueless start hitting the lakes smile.gif

Also, some ramps just plain stink. Like the east side ramp of Bald Eagle access. So for the guys who I asked to move their boat out of the west side ramp so I could get out, and you would not, I hope you might learn some courteousy some day. But, I was nice and just waited for you to leave, even though there were 3 capable people who could have simply moved the boat over until your driver returned. Oh well smile.gif

Give people a break, it's not worth the frustration of being frustrated, even for dorks wink.gif

The boat landing on a busy weekend is not the place to learn to back the boat in. I did the same thing with my wife. First we went to a lake which doesn't get fished much and the landing is almost never busy. We went in the middle of the week 4 or 5 times and practiced tell she had it down like a pro.

Geez, I'm new to boating and don't own one, yet. But while being on a boat, waiting for our turn to get to the dock so the driver can get their truck/trailer, with two other boats infront of us and one more behind. Somebody comes cruising from behind and cuts up infront of us. Now myself being new and can't shovel nose the boat into the wakeslosh of the boat in front of me without bumber boat action, I like to keep a little distance of 20 to 30 feet. There's that stupid look on there face, "oh are you guys in line? don't mind me butting infront of you all but I'm in a hurry." Yeah, whatever...good thing I'm not in that much of hurry else, there be some exchange of foul sign language.

I'd wish that I could launch/load a boat in less than 15 minutes. Call it uber-lack of skillz, total newbie at it. I'd wish I have a pit crew of boat launching/loading. Guys in the boat got engine warming up, guy unhooking boat, person guiding the backing up, person on lauching dock holding the boat. Gosh that'll take less than three minutes to include parking, trotting down to the boat and off we go.

Launchers get priority to loaders. It's that truck in the line thingy. But if you want a parking spot, you better allow a loader to get out. It doesn't help if you've totally blocked them. Plus I don't mind people helping me load and get out of the way quickly.

Gadgetman, Glad to see you are a helper instead of a complainer. Last year we were fishing the lake in SD with a terrible access where the water level was low. If you backed the tires off the side of the ramp you were s.o.l because it was mud and only gravel off the back of the ramp. Well when we got there someone did this exact same thing. The lake was producing so many eyes that their were probably 20 boats waiting to launch. We walked down there where 20 other guys were standing around. I asked them what was going on and then realised what happened. My buddy and I started taking our shoes of and I told my dad to go get the floor jack. I guy asked me what I was doing I told him going to help instead of stand around and complain. We got the trailer jacked up and put some big rocks under the wheel. The 2 guys were very thankful for the help.

thanks slotlimit for being a helper not a complainer too. I was getting scared to take my boat out incase I upset someone and might take a minute too long. But knowing there are some people out there with patience i am not scared anymore.

Also power loading may be great but look at the end of some ramps and you will see a huge pile of sand and gravel washed up from this. Ive been to some ramps were the pile is big enough to hit when the water is low. I hope the DNR and others are planning on repairing some of these ramps if water levels remain low.

This is a good topic. My approach is:

1) Be ready

2) Get in line

3) Get the boat in or out as quickly as possible.

4) If you're leaving, park and finish tie downs and other tasks away from the launching zone.

WOW...what a busy weekend at the lakes. Especially on Sunday. My family and I visited three lakes before we could get the boat in the water. The last one we went to was a 45 minute wait. I guess I don't mind waiting, but when I see people cutting in line...it just infuriates (spelling?) me to no end.

At Crystal Lake in Burnsville, there are probably 35 or 40 spots to park in. At the end of the row of parking spots, there is a semi-circle that is cross painted where you are not allowed to park in. That cross painted area had a couple of truck and tailers parked there...which just screams - 'give me a ticket'! after sitting there waiting in line for as long as we did, i came up with a great idea. for those patiently waiting in line...we all get to legally key their car or truck the words - 'i'm an impatient loser'! he, he.

of course, i would never do that...but it gave me a chuckle!

grin.gif

Quote:

I am speaking of the people that fish off the dock at the boat landings and refuse to move while launchers and loaders need to use the dock and surrounding water to load and unload their boats.

My Bad man! I agree with ya its not a fishing dock!

It took me 2 1/2 hours to get a guy out of the launch after he got his wheels off the side of an aircraft landing strip type launch last year. He went off the edge and one of his spring shackle bolts dropped through one of the holes in the steel mat. He hooked his cable hand winch to one of the pipes holding the dock up and bent the pipe. You have to give these winches slack to get it unhooked again which he couldn't do. Finally we took his hitch on his boat trailer apart becuse it wouldn't unhitch from the ball. I lifted it off of the ball and dropped the tongue and the bolt popped out of the mat. It was one of the small SD lakes where I was too.

Loading and launching is definately an acquired skill that requires practice so I do try and have patience but the whole mess at landings could be so easily avoided if only there was just common sense. Maybe you should have to pass a test to register a boat or post "informational" or "instructional" signs at landings that are typically busy (probably would not work - see below blush.gif).

(1) If fishing/boating alone keep your boat out of the way of the landing while you are getting or parking your vehicle.

(2) If boating/fishing with someone else, drop them at the dock and move away until they come back with your vehicle and back in.

(3) Be ready to launch when it is your turn.

(4) Sole determining factor on order of getting off/on the lake is the line of cars and trailers - except if there are no more parking spots to be had, then next one should be the first trailer waiting to haul a boat out.

(5) If you cannot launch/land your boat with ease/comfort in a relatively short period of time, do not frequent busy landings at busy times until you gain the experience to do so. Never timed it but I would guess that under ideal conditions (no wind) 5-6 minutes per boat or less should be plenty of time. Maybe a tad longer for those who are alone or who crank their boats onto their trailers rather than drive on.

My theory is that the same people who stand in the grocery line for 10 minutes and don't start making out their check - or even get their checkbook out - until the cashier tells them the amount or, drive the speed limit or less in the left lane and won't have the courtesy to move over - even briefly - to let you pass - are the same one's who cause problems at landings.

I screwed up once at Lake Marion because I arrived late (as a non-boater) and did not read the signs (I thought I knew what they said) and got a ticket for parking a vehicle w/o a trailer at the landing. I even had the courtesy to take the space furthest away from the landing but did not know the "rule" at that particular landing. An expensive lesson but I was guilty frown.gif of burning up a parking spot for a boat trailer that did not need to be used up.

Daze Off

I dont understand why more people dont just drive their boats onto the trailer. With a bit of practice this is the fastest easiest and most efficeint way of loading a boat. (even with bunks!) I cant stand ppl who wade into the water and they have to try and fight the wind or current to straighten out their boat and keep it straight wile cranking up the strap or the rope. Even on all but the most shallow lauches a guy can drive a boat on by triming up the motor. Ud be suprised some of the looks I get from bystanders/skiers/ ppl in general who dont know enough about boating in general. Its more Like wow! That guys fast! or THAT WAS THE WEIRDEST THING IVE SEEN! PPL PLEASE LEARN HOW TO DO THIS IT SAVES A TREMNDOUS AMOUNT OF TIME ESP WITH 2 PPL!!!!!!! srry I had to vent a lil grin.gif

Some people don't powerload for the following reasons;

They don't have power tilt on their motor.

They are not comfortable doing it.

They don't want to be "That guy" that made the big hole at the landing.

Not saying it's right or wrong to power load or crank it in, however don't be so quick to judge just cuz they don't do things the way you do.

I have hard enough of a time bringing the boat to the dock.. Much less try to drive it straight onto the trailer. Never grew up owning a boat so I'm learning everything a bit late. I think the old saying is "Cant teach an old dog new tricks" or something. wink.gif

Only thing is, this is against the rules at a growing number of ramps. It simply ruins the ramp, and costs money to repair it. I used to drive on the trailer for years, "power loading" too. Now I or boat driver simply pull drive on up to trailer at idle, and winch in the rest fo the way. Your feet still stay dry and it only takes about 3 feet of cranking to get the boat up. But no more blowing out the gravel and sand due to us, and it still only takes litrerally 2-3 minutes tops between the time from tires entering the water until I am back in drive and pulling out. A bit more effort with the cranking, but still not bad.

But, yeah, powerloading is fast and easy. It just ruins ramps, however. If not the concrete itself, it blows the supporting sub-ramp foundation material away.

my little boat and trailer don;t power load so well. it can be done but I know that it can be done in less that a minute. I do it a few times a week got it down pretty well. easiest, fastest, and best way to load my boat at a boat ramp, a hill side, a sandy beach, a gravel landing a cement landing, any thing it may be. not every one can power load. they don't have your boat. But i know I can launch and load faster than most on any thing, where ever it may be.

My wife doesn't like driving the boat (she's not very good at it) and she's not a fan of driving the truck (or backing down either) so powerloading doesn't save anytime. She however is very good at using a rope to get the boat from the far side of the dock to the ramp we're loading on (while I'm backing down the ramp) and she's fast at winching the boat on the trailer. We're in and out in a couple of minutes and don't need to powerload.

one thing that bothers me is the people that can't get their boat straight on their trailor after 5 tries. ya, i know they don't always go on strait, been there, done that. after only five or six times loading the boat i usually use, i know exactly how far in the trailor needs to be. just so the tips of the tires are sticking out of the water. it may take a little more effort cranking, because the boat doesn't go right up to wench, but it is on straight 95% of the time

Hmm....I know some people dont have the power to "powerload" but ive been around boats all my life and I can honestly say that there arent many boats you cant powerload...The exceptions are pontoon and sailboats. I know alot of boats cant powerload with the extra ppl or weight of coolers, ect. As far as damage to ramps goes I think thats nonsense! Especially when the motor is tilted. If anythign it shoots a stream of water up more so than level. Granted it might waer the bottom out a bit but so does backing the trailer in. current and waves crashing onto shore has the same effect. As far as manual tilts go..I use to power load the 15 hp I had and I can powerload the small 9.9 by simply locking the motor in place after hand tilting it. If it has no lock you can hold it in place but thats somewhat tricky but can be mastered. But like I sated before It takes practice to judge current and waves to get on the trailer straight. Smaller boats I just pick up the stern and hand straighten once out of the way. Ive never heard of powerloading being a rule at any ramps and I fished just about everywhere in Mn and WI. I still stand at my opinion, but I wasnt attacking anybody in particualar. Sorry If anyone took it that way. At any rate do what's fastest for you...

I have seen a lot of guys that could take lessons from my wife when it comes to backing down a launch. She killed my GMC pickup one day because it was a 4 speed. Some guys laughed at her when she killed it, but said holy sh*t when she put it in granny and smoked the tires going up the launch. shocked.gif

I second this. 90 percent of the time it really doesn't matter if it goes on straight or not, it's not off enough to make a difference anyway. I gave up trying on my last boat, and it trailered the same. I do realize on a bigger boat this may create more problems.

Power loading in some situations is about the only way to load, especially if you're by yourself and there are no docks out.

A person can powerload gently (oxymoron there). smirk.gif Just keep the motor trimmed up and keep it in idle.