• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

houseboat on v, first time visitors

my brothers and i are heading to lake v the end of june and renting a houseboat. we would like to catch pike, bass and pans during the day and walleye during the evening and night. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since we are lake v rookies (actually northern mn rookies). we are used to catfish and drum in nebraska. can't wait!

You might want to consider hiring a guide for a half or whole day. Vermilion is probably way different than what you are used to fishing. Few weeds, many rocks.

You'll have a great time at the lake.

Pike can be found in the emerging weeds in early June. Find any back bay for weeds. Bass are all over the lake....work the shoreline structure until you find where they are.

"eyes can be a bit more elusive. A guide would shorten your learning curve. However, the night time bite is good that time of year....you should be able to limit out on your own.

As ststed the pike will probably be in most shallow bays that have emerging weed growth. The pan fish will also be relating to weeds (mostly last years reeds) at that time in the same shallow bays.

Smallmouth bass will be relating to rocky shorelines with a sharp drop off into deeper water. They should be in pre-spawn or on spawning beds depending upon the water temps.

Walleyes should be relating to sand/mud transition areas or possily in deep water (also depends upon water temps.)

Jigs,slip sinker rigs,and slip bobber rigs baited with minnows or possibly leeches will all work for walleyes.

Trolling crank baits on breaklines or in shallow bays will also get walleyes in the mornings and evenings.

Cliff

thank you for the advice. what is the main food source in the lake other than may flies? what would be the best colors for the smallies and walleye?

88 2000,

Don't know what part of the lake you'll be on, but I'll be at the middle section of the lake in early June. I've never been to this part of the lake, but what I think will be helpful for me is that I've discovered "Google Earth", which shows a satellite picture of anywhere on earth. Download it to your computer, type in Lake Vermilion, and use your arrow buttons to go anywhere on the lake. It's a very clear view from above, and there are even islands identified by name. Look at this while you look at a lake map, and you can start putting a picture together of where you might want to fish....shallow bays, sharp breaks, etc.

Also should help give you a mental picture of where you are on the lake when you're actually there... it can be confusing with all the islands etc.

More than anything, it's very cool and will get you even more pumped up for your trip!

you will catch all the fish you want....if you are used to drum and such....get ready for some great tasting fish!!!!!i would say by your post....that all you need to do is just refine your presentation some....who knows you may come up with a better way.....i always say fish hard...and adjust to what the fish want.,...lets go set the hook!!!!!

do you need to have gps with lake v gps mapping? or are the locally sold maps good enough?

The local maps such as Lake Master are very good.

A gps with the map in it is even better though! Much easier to read and makes it easy to get back on the fish the next day.

Cliff

The lakemaster paper maps are very nice for planning out things beforehand. My GPS is pretty basic so I can't load the maps on it, but it's been real helpful getting my bearings in combination with the paper map. I also like the Fishing Hot Spots maps.

Being a fellow Nebraskan, I can tell you the first time I came to the lake it's size and the amount of shoreline was somewhat intimidating. Down here getting lost on a lake isn't something you think about at all, but you can find yourself in a bay bigger than most lakes in our state and think you're in a different one on Vermilion. Its for that reason having a GPS is a very nice item. Even a basic GPS can give you your coordinates you can locate on the maps. Knowing where you are is a whole lot better than thinking you know where you are especially when the sun's going down soon or the wind picks up.

As for the fishing, you're in for a treat. Everytime I've been up, the smallie action has been insane. Topwaters early and late have made for some of the most enjoyable fishing for me. Walleye takes a bit of a different technique than what you're probably used to, (although I've found a lot the walleye techniques work great back home for hungry cats smile.gif ) We've always had great luck using whatever the fish feel like eating on lindy's and either trolling or using slip bobbers.

Careful though... Vermilion is very addicting, you'll find yourself planning when to get your next fix on the ride home.

thanks coop. just the research and planning has been enjoyable enough to plan a return trip! we do not have anything like this in ne.

you have one great thing going for you....at least when it comes to walleye fishing....patience is a good thing to have....some days.,..it takes a while to get em.....i would say fish the way you are used to as it relates to the way we fish....i had a guy from australia that caught fish on some sort of thread.....som yes....i think you will like it here very much and do well..........

does anyone know where we could rent a gps with lake v preloaded aroung there?

That sounds like a great idea. I doubt it exist, yet.

Who wants to start a business???