• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good day! How'd you do?

tunrevir

Thought I might start this post before the early morning hours and the fishing begins. Many of our fellow fisherfolks are getting ready to go out, trying to sleep and or thinking of the next great bite. To one and all, I wish you good luck and great fishing! I thought we might start loking at various techniques that produced this weekend. Depth and speed are okay too if anyone wants to chime in but I was just wanting to see what people did with the techniques they used. An unofficial poll if you will. Good luck all! Time for a few hours shuteye.

Tunrevir~

Got out alittle late, 5am, put the first eye in the boat within a hour on a crawler lindy riggen and that was about it, missed a few but got tired of seeing fish on the graph and not being able to get them, jumped all around. Did manage to get a couple bass, which of course went back, did take a photo of the nicer one, it was little bigger than the eye,not by much though. Sure was nice out there, a little to nice, fish weren't hitting like last year but then again its not raining. I beleive I marked just as many fish but they just didn't like what I had on. There's always tomorrow and I'll be there!! O yeah, if my math is right my walleye cost about 300 plus dollars, it has to be some good eating right??

I found the bite just a bit tougher then usual. Started out casting cranks to the shore and caught a couple right around 5:30. I would say for every fish we caught though there were two or three hits where we would hook up for a moment and then with a head shake or two the fish were off. Seemed like they were hitting short even with the cranks. Jigged for a bit and caught alot of white bass on jigs and minnows. What a beautiful morning!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Didn't get on the water until Just before 7 and started in the Hudson channel with crawler & harnnes but couldn't buy a bite with crawlers or anything as the day went on. Jumped all over the place marking fish in all my usual spots. Didn't realize that just by showing up I could shut the fishing down so quickly, but did manage to get 2 before we had to leave at 1pm. The highlight was that I really like the new Huminbird graph now that I had a chance to give it a good try. Like a kid with a new toy.:) HTB

Very tough for me as well...got one and that's it. Fished from 5:30 to 9:30. From just south of Kinni to Prescott. Marked a ton of fish as well but couldn't get them to go either. Try it again some evening this week.

Well Id like to say I pounded them so I will,but this is a fishermans lie.I had a pretty tough outing myself,I tried some new spots that didnt work out and payed the price.....ZZZIIIPPP.I also checked other places like Catfish bar and Hudson channel.Didnt see to many nets getting wet this morning but thats fishing.What a great start to the season though,you cant ask for better weather.The brightest part of the day began yesterday,when one of my friends had no one to fish with and I suggested he take out a young man from next door that is just starting to get into fishing .My 13 year old neighbor was very excited to go,and shortly after 9am he called me to say he had just boated a 26 and half inch eye.Well I thought that was a great way to get him jacked up on the river,but then he called me 5mins later and said he just boated a 27incher.Great,now im thinkin Ive got the wrong fishing partner in my boat laugh.gif.My buddy that took him ended up catching one short for the day and the boy gets a 26,27,and a 22 to boot.Im not sure who was more excited,my neighbor or me.Im thinking the kid is now HOOKED ON FISHING.Headin out again in the morning to try again,maybe ill be taking the horseshoe from next door along with me this time.What a great opener grin.gifgrin.gif

Howdy!

I got the line wet at 5:30 AM and fished to 3:30 PM.

I was in an area in the lower St. Croix where there were 55-60 boats. Looked around to a lot of boats and guess how many Walleyes I saw caught ALL day? One. Huh. shocked.gif

Somehow I musta got lucky - I caught 2, one 23 and the other 22. Was fishing different than others though, I was using Leeches.

I'll be heading out tomorrow morning & Monday morning.

Hope to meet up with some of you regular posters on the water sometime. I met 2 great guys FMer's at our get-together today at 1 PM - baldev & Orlip. cool.gif

Good luck out there tomorrow...

FFaL

We started around 4:00 - nothing doing for the first hour. Between 5:00-6:00 we pulled 5 saugers between 16" - 23" and the fattest 20" walleye I've ever seen. All came on 5-6" sucker minnows. Tried fatheads, leeches, crawlers as well but the only thing that seemed to turn them was the sucker minnows on a floater jig. After that one 14 3/4 incher an hour later and then nothing. Packed up around 5:30 and came home. Sure was a nice day, wish I would have remembered the sunscreen.

Today was the start of my second season fishing the croix. We launched at Beanies at 6am and found a couple of bass splitshoting crawlers at a nearby point. Moved on to the Afton area where we hooked up with 3 eyes around 9am. THe rest of the day proved difficult as the pleasure boaters made their way on to the water. Met up with Orlip and Fisherman at the Kinik (thanks to Fisherman for organizing). Finished the day fishing underneath the 94 bridge without success. Will be back at it tomorrow. See you on the river.

Took the family out to Lakefront Park in Hudson around 2pm for a little shore fishing. My 5-yr old ended up catching the only two 'eyes we'd see. Armed with his trusty Spongebob fishing pole, he managed a 16" and a 15" 'eye, one caught on half a nightcrawler and the other on a crappie minnow. We also caught a couple white bass, a smallie, a carp, a bullhead, and a few dozen sheepies. Couldn't ask for a better day smile.gif

We ended up getting on the river around 2 pm, wanted to head out early this moring but no bait... sigh, and slept in instead. We boated zero eyes or saugers all day until about half hour before dark where we caught about 7 eyes but all we less than 15'' except one 16''

My day was a little ruff. Got to the Bluffs at 6:10 and it was packed. Took until 6:45 before we realized there wasn't going to be enough parking. I'm pretty sure they had to open before 6, no way what many boats hit it in 10 minutes. So we drove to Afton and launched out of there. Made our way down to the bluffs, where I saw Walli1 for a bit. He had been out and only had one so I knew it wasn't going to be a great day. My electronics were freaking. I have a cuda on the front and a Lowrance X15 on the console. They would show the right depth and fish, then you would see 800 FOW. After a little bit it would kick back. Was iritating me. We fished the Bluffs for a couple of hours up and down the shore, then my trolling motor stopped turning. Had to manually steer it. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and then the co-pilot started to work again. Pedal never worked. We were going to move a little south so fired up the engine. Got a little past the bluffs and the Low Oil beep started going off "forgot to check it". So, headed all the way back to Afton, got some oil and that took care of it. Decided to fish up by Catfish bar at that point. We spent another 2 or so hours up there and my buddy managed to boat a sheep head. That was the only fish we saw all day. I talked to people when we landed and it didn't seem like many were catching anything. We did see a 5 year old boat an eye. I'm glad at least he caught something. For those of you that had a non-fish day, you can blame me. It was my first opener with a boat ever so I think I jinxed it. Hopefully next weekend will prove a little better.

At least I don't feel so bad now after reading these reports. I guess I like to give more than receive because I did manage to feed a few fish. ( Minnow would just disappear from the hook??) Meet with Fisherman for a lifetime and Baldav for a little break, Nice meeting you guys.

After the break I headed south for Prescott when I spotted a guy with huge bend in the rod his buddy said he had a sturgeon on, This I had to see. After about 10 minutes they had it in the boat, never measured it just wanted to get it back in the water CPR. Guesstamated the length at around 50"

Copyofminnows008.jpg

Well good luck to ya all I know I sure need it.

Just got back from the uper croix. The catfish where putting the feed bag on we ended up with 33 cats. The eyes bit fast and furious on saturday we only fished for one and a half hours and limited out. No big eyes and a lot of small fish 13 to 14 all to small for the regs but we managed to get plenty of 15.5 to 17. Sunday slowed down we worked the snake and kettle for four hours and ended up with 8 legal fish most everything on crawlers and spinners in three ft to nine fow.

Nice report! What are the water temps up that way High forties low fifties? Sounds like you did better then most. Good work and nice report!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

It was tough in Taylors Falls too...

Heard a rumor that some folks limited out on crawler harness in the pool between the rocks across from the paddleboat. It's always a good spot but for no more than two boats. We were in the crowded area as usual, in between the rocks south of the park. Didn't do so well, but I did managed two saugers 15" and 16". I'd thought I'd might get some more smaller ones but didn't even...

Really tried to catch crappies, but ended up with nothing.

Hit the water a little late, I was in the channel north of 94 at 6:15. Already alot of boats drifting, trolling, and zigging. Managed 4 keepers above the rail bridge, a few whities, and a 50lb sturgeon. That was an awesome fight, was worth the entire trip, not to mention it was a fantastic day. See you all again this weekend.

Well, i got sunburnt. I didnt have much luck but it was nice getting the boat wet! I caught a nice smallie by catfish bar. My buddy caught a large carp by catfish as well. Tried jigging there. Tried live bait rigs in the kinni narrows to no avail, and tried cranks near/around 94 bridge also with no luck!

Anyone limit?

Wanna share your technique?

P.s. I have a black and silver Alumacraft navigator with a Yamaha 115 so if you see me out, give me a holler!

Quote:

The brightest part of the day began yesterday,when one of my friends had no one to fish with and I suggested he take out a young man from next door that is just starting to get into fishing .My 13 year old neighbor was very excited to go,

Probably had my best opener ever on the Croix, and I didn't catch a legal.....

Let me rewind the story a bit. Found out friday that my fishing partner was a late cancel for Sat AM on the Croix.

Later friday evening a friend of mine suggested that I take a certain 13 year old neighbor of his that was a passionate, albeit newbie fisherman. I agreed.

Fast forward, we are on the river early AM and it's pretty slow, but a beautiful morning. I hear from the back of the boat, " I got one on, and it's a big one" followed by the sound of screeching drag. The fish made 3 runs during the fight and it finally came to rest in my net, walleye, taped out at 26.5".

I would guess that 8 minutes had passed when I heard the familar, "I got another one on, and it's a big one" The ensuing fight lasted a few minutes and a second large walleye was laying in my net, this one taped out at 27", and she was thick. In the next few hours this 13 year old "newbie" proceeded to land another very nice 22" eye, and we called it a day at about noon.

It was without question my most memorable opener, and I'd argue his as well. I think the St Croix River has managed to "hook" another young fisherman.

We've got some photos, that I will post when I get a chance.

I wanted to share this story, good luck out there everyone.

Way to go bud! That is what makes fishing so darn fun! I'll bet you were evey bit as excited about your partner catching fish as he was. By the way, when guiding it is okay if the clients catch more fish then you do because of all of the scouting, boat prep, and of course trying to keep the boat in control while trying to teach someone else how to fish at the same time. grin.gif I'll bet you may have had a bit of doubt taking out a newbie because of all of the questions, possible boredom ect; that could plague you once out on the water. I think we all sometimes think that rather then take the chance or have the hassel or worse yet, not get someone on the fish like we have been telling them about we just opt out and take the easy way and fish with the same partners, techniques, ect; My hat is off to you! You made the week and possibly the summer for your 13 y.o. partner! cool.gif (Also one of the better reports from the weekend as well grin.gif)

Tunrevir~

We started sat. at about 6 am. at the copus launch typical river opener what a mess. Started out south & only put 1 in the box. We trolled shad raps for the most part & only stopped at a few holes to jig. In the afternoon we went north & found one of my old hot spots to be holding some nice fish. We ended up with 6 in the box over 15". We also had fun with the silvers, a few smallies, a couple of northerns & a waterdog that I snaged in the leg with a jig, never cought one this far north. Not a bad day !! Hey Tunrevir where did you fish.

It was slow above the Dam. I caught my first ever rock bass from the Croix, though. Water temp was 58 to 62 F. Nothing in my usual "go to" opener spots. I did mark a lot of fish in the 8 to 13 foot range, but couldn't make anything happen. Bummer.

CCY, we fished sout as usual early a.m. and worked our way back north and found a few fish. had alot of short strikes on the cranks and the white bass kept chomping on our jigs. We were on the water by 4:15 and pulled out about 11:30. Beautiful day!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Sandmannd,

I was at Bluffs boat launch as well We got there at 5:30Am

and got in line. The Gate opened at exactly 6am and a County Sheriff directed traffic in. On opening you had better get in line well before 6am. Any how we fished between Kinni and Prescott and manaeged a 19 in saugeye a 15 inch sauger and a 22 inch northern. All on jig and minow very slow day we saw a smally cpr'd and a walleye or sauger caught and kept that was it. It was great day to be out allthough.

Mwal

we didn't go out for the morning bite, we went to the gander mountain crappie contest instead. came close to third but close doesn't count. Made it to the river about 4 p.m. and fished until sunset. a few strikes but only managed to put a small catfish in the boat. this was my first experience for opener on the river, so it can only get better in the years to come. If anyone ever wants some company I want to get out a lot more than I did last year. so shoot me a line if you have an open seat or want to come in my boat. I need to learn how to get some of these river eyes.

Well, I suppose I'll add my 2 cents worth. We had a great day (the little lady and I) We didn't get on the river until 11am. I had to pick the boat up from the shop. We launched out of Beanies and joined several dozen boats fishing the narrows. Not much doing...Headed south to Afton and putzed around for about 1/2 an hour...nothing.

Down to the kinni we go and got into some stripped bass and sheap head. No eyes. The little lady at this point is hungry so we fire off to Presscott to get a bite to eat. We stopped at a great little restaurant that is accessible from the river. Just park the boat and walk up the stairs to the outside patio. The name of the joint you say...Sorry, I had too much fun in the 90's for my short term memory to be fully operating. Suffice it to say if I was still a drinking man (or even a fella interested in a tasty taco in a friendly atmosphere) this place was it. Any how, we dined on our taco from the deck and wathced other fisherman work the shorline near Prescott. We saw one guy pull a small eye working a jig and minnow. Most folks I saw were working this combo. I hear crawlers may have been the hot ticket? Well me and the little lady boogied are way back up to the 94 bridge. I ended up getting 2 saugers and the lady missed what I would assume was a nice eye/sauger on a jig. I also missed a nice fish pulling a crank but who really knows for sure caus I got a carp earlier in the day trolling the same crank! Anyhow, It was awesome being out there and I'm looking forward to another year on the Croix...Best of luck to everybody. laugh.gif

ps. The girlfriend still thinks I'm a pansy of a fisherman and has threatened to hire a guide if I don't put her on fish soon shocked.gif

You better come with me then, because what I've seen and heard, and what the CO said to me, relatively speaking, I guess I did pretty well.

I have room in my boat and will be happy to show ya the ropes! grin.gif