• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wiring Deep Cycles

Juan Grande

Question

Guys,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm trying to hook up my deep cycle batteries and I can't remember how the wires were configured.

I took a digital picture before I unhooked them last fall, but the wife deleted it from the camera. She says unintentionally, but she knows I'm a dumb a** when it comes to electrical stuff and maybe this would delay the open water season. I'm hoping FM will foil her plan wink.gif

Anyway, I have two deep cycle batteries and a dual bank charger. The charger has a black and red wire for both batteries. I have a wire coming from the front of the boat (powers the trolling motor and sonar) with a black and red connection. There was also a misc. red wire in the there that has a circle node on each end.

The trolling motor/sonar wire can be hooked up to one battery, but I'm assuming the two batteries need to be joined somehow so they share the work load. Does that extra red wire network the two together?

In the past six months our house has been hit by a tornado and flooded by our washing machine so I'm not tempting fate here and guessing on the connections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

3 answers to this question

is your trolling motor 12V or 24V. this will make a difference.

Good choice to slow down and make sure, if you hook the battery's up incorrectly you can fry your trolling motor board.

Here is the basic 24 volt hookup with 12 volt accessory feed.

Are you sure your trolling motor is 24 volt?

12Vfrom24Vsystem.jpg