• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ill be staying at Bear Island lake in August. Just wondering what experiences people have had on this lake? The DNR Lake finder gave a good northern report. What other species are present here? I'm actually trying to chase some pannies. Any info would be greaT! Thanks!

Hey Northlander! Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it. Any particular structure I should look for?

My in-laws live on that lake.

What you will mostly catch are crappies and rock bass. There are some nice sized crappies in there too if you can find them. Its easy to get good crappies for the pan.

If your targeting gamefish, good luck. The northern/walleye are very well fed in that lake, so when you do take one, its usually large. IME enticing them to bite is extremely hard on this lake.

Stayed on Bear Island Lake 2 years ago, The Family had fun with the Northerns in there. Using natural bait as in large chubs worked for us. A few smallies were caught also.

Did have some trouble catching walleye's in there thou,but plenty of lakes around the area if your wanting a dinner one night of them.

Hope this helps you out.

Farmer

I'm heading up there in August too. It puzzles me that the walleyes are hard to come by after looking at the survey but I've heard that from several different sources so it must be true. I've heard the water clarity being used as an excuse.

Bear Island has a decent cisco population, but they have a strange coloration which has caused some to wonder if they are a true cisco. confused.gif This can cause tough fishing, but there are many large walleyes in the lake.

If theres on lake up here that im confident on Esp in august, It would have to be bear island. Uncle started showing me the tricks to that lake long time ago before I lived here. In august, Its hard to beat slip bobbering on the reefs in 35-15 feet fow. If its calm a plain hook and a fathead or rainbow chub is good, but If theres a nice chop use a 16th ounce jig and let the waves jig the bait. On the reefs its either small mouth or walleye but never both. If the smallies are there youll hit em good and thyre big the walleyes Ive caught this way average about 2-3 1/2 pounds apiece though Ive lost some bigger ones. Uncles pulled out several in the 6-8 or nine pound range all pushing 26-28 inches. With the ciscos a guy can cast shallow flats and reefs with silver or white or even shad colored cranks and smoke soe dandy fish that way. be prepared to lose some cranks in rocks and jaws though frown.gif. Big crappies and sunnies but I havent fished it for pannies. Id imagine trying the first few breaks out of a shallow bay or again trying the edges of structure for crappies. BI has alot of structure and many hidden reefs and shallow rock not marked on maps or with bouys so watch out!

WOW! Thank for the replies. I won't be targeting Walleye. Im more of a crappie guy grin.gif Although I wouldn't mind getting into some Footballs out there. Im probably gonna be using senkos, topwaters, and jigs. Any particular pattern or jigs that the craps like on this lake? Thanks.